Print Page | Close Window

An Ideal Mutual Fund Portfolio

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Personal Finance & Lifestyle-Strategies & problems
Forum Name: Personal Finance - Startegies
Forum Discription: Discuss startegies for tax planning, insurance coverage, Retirement planning, Home loans car purchases or any thing that affects personal finance.
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=928
Printed Date: 25/Jun/2024 at 10:41am

Topic: An Ideal Mutual Fund Portfolio
Posted By: smartcat
Subject: An Ideal Mutual Fund Portfolio
Date Posted: 30/May/2007 at 7:50pm
Though I'm an avid direct equity investor, I still have a sizeable portion of my money in mutual funds. Actually MFs take up 33% of my overall equity portfolio.

These are some of my picks which I regularly recommend to newbies who are scared to invest in equities directly.

http://www.valueresearchonline.com/funds/newsnapshot.asp?schemecode=854 - HDFC Tax Saver Fund -  This will take care of 'Section 80 something' where Rs. 1 Lac investment can save Rs. 20,000 tax.

http://www.valueresearchonline.com/funds/newsnapshot.asp?schemecode=182 - Reliance Vision Fund - A large cap diversified equity fund with a CAGR returns of 30% since 1995. Recommended exposure 30%

http://www.valueresearchonline.com/funds/newsnapshot.asp?schemecode=2686 - Fidelity Equity Fund - Another diversified equity fund. I have enormous faith in Fidelity's investment processes. Among on the top 10 performers since inception in 2005. Recommended exposure 30%

http://www.valueresearchonline.com/funds/newsnapshot.asp?schemecode=1386 - Sundaram Select Midcap Fund - A midcap fund to spice up the portfolio. Has returned a CAGR of 60% since its inception in 2002!! Recommended exposure 20%

http://www.valueresearchonline.com/funds/newsnapshot.asp?schemecode=2133 - Franklin India Opportunities Fund - An opportunity/multi-cap fund that takes care of temporary biases towards particular market caps. Eg: 2003 - 2005 was the era of mid caps. After that, large caps took over. This fund has returned 44% CAGR since 2004. Recommended exposure - 10%

http://www.valueresearchonline.com/funds/newsnapshot.asp?schemecode=2474 - Reliance Media & Entertainment Fund - A 10% exposure to the hottest sector! Has returned a CAGR of 50% since its inception in 50% in 2004

I personally hold other funds like Contra and COMMA fund. But this is a portfolio I suggest to L-boards. Will this portfolio outperform other mutual funds and the benchmark?

Replies:
Posted By: deveshkayal
Date Posted: 30/May/2007 at 8:55pm
Sundaram Midcap fund manager Anoop Bhaskar has quit who managed since 2002..so i would avoid it for now.In place of it,i would invest in Reliance Growth Fund...I will be always biased towards Sunil Singhania in all my posts..whether u agree with me or not,its upto u.Reliance Growth Fund manages the largest corpus,the fact that investors believe in him.

-------------
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett

Date Posted: 30/May/2007 at 10:01pm
Devesh Ji - Tracking a mutual fund is ok, but it is impossible to track the performance of individual fund managers. They keep jumping here and there anyway. I have lots of faith in processes, controls and collective research that these fund houses reportedly have.

Sundaram Select Midcap is the only fund to have gone half-way through Basant's chart - http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=922 - Magic of Compounding/ 109 times in 10 years  - by registering 60% CAGR in 5 years.

Posted By: basant
Date Posted: 30/May/2007 at 10:08pm

AMongst the fund managers these were the only ones to have bet on reale state stocks but after that they have really spread themselves out very wide and thin. The top stock is not even 3% of the portfolio but if they are able to generate returns we are not competent to comment on their investing style!

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Date Posted: 30/May/2007 at 10:17pm
Basant - as a AMFI registered MF advisor, what would your MF recommendations be to my friends? My buddies are typically -

- Software engineers
- Earning a take home salary of Rs. 30,000 - Rs. 40,000
- Generally, a casual attitude towards the concept of saving and investments.
- No time to track performance of a MF.
- Refuse to go for a SIP.
- Think of equity investments when market reaches all time highs.

Date Posted: 30/May/2007 at 8:26am
Originally posted by smartcat

Basant - as a AMFI registered MF advisor, what would your MF recommendations be to my friends? My buddies are typically -

- Software engineers
- Earning a take home salary of Rs. 30,000 - Rs. 40,000
- Generally, a casual attitude towards the concept of saving and investments.
- No time to track performance of a MF.
- Refuse to go for a SIP.
- Think of equity investments when market reaches all time highs.

The last two points are something that no body except "time" can advise them.Even if they want to go in the market at all time highs tell them to buy HDFC Bank and sleep over it!!!

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Posted By: vivekkumar_in
Date Posted: 30/May/2007 at 10:48am
Smartcat ji,
  You want to include  SBI Magnum Global Fund.
 They have a near to 54% CAGR in past 5 yrs. It has higher retuns than Reliance Growth and also seems to have been managed well during the dot com burst.

-------------
Often we forget there's a company behind every stock,and there's only one reason why stocks go up. Companies go from doing poorly to doing well or small companies grow to large companies.
P Lynch

Date Posted: 30/May/2007 at 11:53am
http://www.valueresearchonline.com/funds/newsnapshot.asp?schemecode=201 - SBI Magnum Global Fund has done exceptionally well in the past 5 years but its ALL TIME returns is not so impressive at 16% CAGR in 13 years. Perhaps they took wrong calls early in the beginning?

When looking at diversified equity fund's performance, what do you look at? 1 yr performance? 3 yrs? 5 yrs? All Time?

Posted By: investor
Date Posted: 31/May/2007 at 2:20pm
I think 3 years should be just abour right, because over 5 years you could be looking at a boom/bust period which was ending and the opposite phase starting...so that will not give a good picture.
I normally use 3 year CAGR returns to judge a MF(amongst other things).

I agree with the other comments on this thread - not having Reliance Growth and Magnum(either Global or Contra).

Also please take a relook at Reliance Media and Entertainment fund.
Even though we know media is going to be a hot sector, this fund lot of
duds in it and not tuned to latest happenings in the last 6-12 months.
meaning it has a lot of newspaper stocks instead of being more focussed
to television media companies. So i dont think this fund can be termed as
a "best buy" - Just having TV18 or NW18 in your port instead of using that
amuont to buy into this fund will defn give you better returns.

-------------
The market is a place where people with money meet people with experience.
The people with experience get the money while people with money get experience!

Posted By: Mr. V
Date Posted: 31/May/2007 at 8:29pm

http://www.valueresearchonline.com/funds/newsnapshot.asp?schemecode=201 - SBI Magnum Global Fund has done exceptionally well in the past 5 years but its ALL TIME returns is not so impressive at 16% CAGR in 13 years. Perhaps they took wrong calls early in the beginning?

SBI MFs were turned around by Sandip Sabharwal. He joined JM Financial last november and ever since the two funds managed by him (JM Equity & JM Emerging Leaders) have been outperforming the category.

Date Posted: 31/May/2007 at 8:43pm

If Fund Manager quit,i will pull out my money or wait for 3 months to see how the new FM is performing.

-------------
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett

Date Posted: 31/May/2007 at 10:13pm
Just 3 months? Deveshji, you are a very strict sir. If we both happen to join a MF as fund managers, I wouldn't want you to become my boss!

Sandip Sabharwal is a very aggressive fund manager. He is even using stock futures in some of the JM equity funds!

I personally feel that it is unfair to give full credit to fund manager for a MF's performance. Stock picking in most fund houses is through sector research, guidelines, rules etc.

Date Posted: 31/May/2007 at 10:30pm
Sandip Sabharwal is a very aggressive fund manager
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree with this view.I was just going through the Emerging leaders portfolio..but he is managing small amount right now.
Bombay Rayon,Sintex,Nagarjuna,Kapataru Power,Tulip IT,Bharti Shipyard,Hanung Toys,Clutch Auto,Spicejet,United Phosphorus are the top ten holdings constituting 55.77%.Mix of everything from IT to Airlines.

-------------

Posted By: Mr. V
Date Posted: 31/May/2007 at 10:59pm
The fact that the corpus is small is going to work in favour of him.

Date Posted: 31/May/2007 at 11:13pm

When looking at diversified equity fund's performance, what do you look at? 1 yr performance? 3 yrs? 5 yrs? All Time?

Typically you got to look for 5 yrs. Anybody can do well in a Bull run. You got to see how the fund handled a market downturn or a recession.

A fund that has done well in Bull run as well as protected the funds in a bear run is what you would look for if you go for mutual funds.

But this jumping MF fund managers do change the game. B'cause a amart & efficient fund manager is THE major focus on fund's performance ...

C'mon a fund can call itself a mid cap, blue chip, top 200, satellite, emerging, core whatever.. they don't stick their stock picking by that.. but the type of stock a fund holds is primarily dependent on the fund manager.

-------------
Often we forget there's a company behind every stock,and there's only one reason why stocks go up. Companies go from doing poorly to doing well or small companies grow to large companies.
P Lynch

Date Posted: 31/May/2007 at 9:26am
fund can call itself a mid cap, blue chip, top 200, satellite, emerging, core

Add smile, cry,frown to all that list. Yeh sab maal bechne ke tareke hai!

-------------

Date Posted: 31/May/2007 at 10:26am
Yes, atleast midcap, bluechip, top 200, etc are relevant names.

There are so many idiotic names like "furtue stars" "emerging leaders" and so on... they are making fools of investors!

And the even more funnier part is that even these "future stars" and "emerging leaders" will have RELIANCE, INFY, etc as their top holdings!!
Go figure!  LOL

Originally posted by basant

fund can call itself a mid cap, blue chip, top 200, satellite, emerging, core

Add smile, cry,frown to all that list. Yeh sab maal bechne ke tareke hai!

-------------
The people with experience get the money while people with money get experience!

Date Posted: 01/Jun/2007 at 12:52pm
Little bit of Trivia:

Question: If Munnabhai and Circuit launch a mutual fund, what would it be called?

Answer: SBI Mamu aur Tau Fund

Glossary:

MAMU: Moving Average MUngerilal
TAU: Technical Analysis Uncle.

Date Posted: 01/Jun/2007 at 1:22pm
Ha!Ha!Ha! So finally Kulmanji has some real good competition on TED.

-------------

Posted By: kulman
Date Posted: 01/Jun/2007 at 9:00pm

Ha ha ha ha

Really good one!! Mazaa aa gaya !!

-------------
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards

Date Posted: 01/Jun/2007 at 11:50pm
Smarcat ji..

Don't give any ideas out.. In some 3 months time a new NFO may come out called "200 day EMA fund" or "50 day EMA fund". The fund manager ill come on TV and say, the fund focuses on stocks that crossover the 200 day EMA or 50 day EMA and are pure momentum plays. He will also have statistics to proove all big names - Bharti, Infosys, Reliance have become big guns after they crossed their 200 day EMA or 50 day EMA at one stage Wink
Some other funds in the offing are :
- New Tops funds (stocks making new tops)
- New Lows funds (stocks packed with value)
- Elliot - B wave funds
- Elliot - E wave funds

Bubble ji will be laughing his b..t out...

-------------
P Lynch

Date Posted: 01/Jun/2007 at 12:05pm
Hooo haaaaaa! Ha ha ha ha

Vivekkumar jee at his best! Simply great creativity!

Just one more fund missing from that list....

"Candlesticks Fund" And the advt will have a tagline: "Watch your investments melt like a wax!"

-------------

Date Posted: 01/Jun/2007 at 12:13pm
I like the "Candlestick Fund " Clap ...Ppl may go for that these days when everybody is talking about power shortage..Wink..

-------------
P Lynch

Date Posted: 01/Jun/2007 at 12:19pm
Now who is responsible for hijacking my thread? I am just trying to build a decent portfolio for my friends. Ermm

Date Posted: 01/Jun/2007 at 12:21pm
Has anybody seen the add for HDFC Midcap opportunities NFO ? Showing a toddler painting a Mona Lisa on a wall and a tag line -"Spot Potential early"

Its funny.. These NFO ads come with innovative ideas . Click on the right bottom corner icon ad for the picture..

http://content.icicidirect.com/home.asp - http://content.icicidirect.com/home.asp

Next thing you know..some NFO may feature some college kid with male pattern baldness on the backdrop of Gandhiji & have a tagline Wink

-------------
P Lynch

Posted By: chic_1978
Date Posted: 02/Jun/2007 at 3:01pm
Basantjee & other TED's

Your take on  HDFC Midcap opportunities NFO

IS IT WORTH INVESTING IN THIS NFO....?????

-------------
happy & wise investing

Date Posted: 02/Jun/2007 at 4:44pm
If you want your money to be allocated towards advertisements and brokerage please do invest in such NFO's!

-------------

Date Posted: 02/Jun/2007 at 10:36pm
Why invest in HDFC Mutual Fund,invest in HDFC bank rather as Basantji mentioned...

This is the best time for fund managers as many foreign AMCs are setting up shop in India...JP Morgan,AIG..If i m not wrong Zamura too is looking to set up shop here!

-------------

Date Posted: 02/Jun/2007 at 11:58pm
HDFC Midcap opportunity advertisement is so good, I have stopped asking people not to invest in this NFO.

I will be tracking foreign AMCs like AIG/JP Morgan closely. It would be interesting to see their investment style.

Posted By: xbox
Date Posted: 02/Jun/2007 at 10:44am
Well for long time I don't like NFOs but there is a point now. NFO is perfect hedge to one's existing personal portfolio. AIG is good candidate as they hired Tushar Pradhan from HDFC AMC. He has been a star performer.

-------------
Don't bet on pig after all bull & bear in circle.

Posted By: BubbleVision
Date Posted: 02/Jun/2007 at 11:15am
Pls don't forget to ask your MF agent to return part of commission to you.

That's Unethical Vipul....If one is convinced enough to invest in a NFO, then he should let the agent also make money. Usska bhi ghar parivar hain!

-------------
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!

Date Posted: 03/Jun/2007 at 6:55am

Now who is responsible for hijacking my thread? I am just trying to build a decent portfolio for my friends. Ermm

Sorry Smartcat ji

What about JM Financial Sector fund ? Launched in Nov 06 but good track record since then..

http://www.valueresearchonline.com/funds/newsnapshot.asp?schemecode=3860 - http://www.valueresearchonline.com/funds/newsnapshot.asp?schemecode=3860

-------------
P Lynch

Date Posted: 03/Jun/2007 at 11:40am

Just kidding. I think I am responsible for the hijack LOL

The only JM fund I like right now is JM Equity & Derivative Fund. This is an arbitrage fund and has been giving 7% per annum, almost risk free. I park some of my surplus funds here, instead of parking it in liquid funds.

Banks account for a large percentage of JM Fin Sector Fund - so I'm assuming it will go through phases of low or negative returns.

Date Posted: 04/Jun/2007 at 12:36pm
JM Fin Sector Fund
-----------
Corpus of 5 Cr tells the story. Some of the better targets are UTI or Reliance Banking sector fund.
One similar note.. Avoid sector fund unless one get at bargain prices. I started picking pru ICICI service Industries fund which brings many in one..media, telecom, IT, banking, financial, retail etc etc. 

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Jun/2007 at 10:33am
JM Fin MF ups stake in Clutch Auto to 5.5%.

-------------

Date Posted: 20/Jun/2007 at 10:38pm

I received Centrum newsletter for this month and was amazed by Standard Chartered Premier Equity Fund. Although,they manage 200crs only,their portfolio looks fabulous!

They hold Educomp,TV18,Pantaloon Retail,ENILGBN,Vimta Labs, Maharashtra Seamless from our Emerging companies thread.Suzlon from Large Cap.Only negative holding aviation stocks.

Deep Industries is the top holding of the fund.Whats so special about this company.

Cash is just 1.81%.Great!

Bullish on Media.Here's a quote from today's interview to CNBC:
"Within media we have electronic media. We think advertising spends will get re-rated away from press towards electronic media, which is a trend globally."

Other stocks also looks interesting like Page Industries,Deccan Chronicle,CBOP,Blue Dart,Areva T&D...

Full interview here:
http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/news/mf-interview/bullish-electronic-mediastanchart-amc/21/45/287586 - http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/news/mf-interview/bullish-electronic-mediastanchart-amc/21/45/287586

This is the fund to watch out for,being managed by Kenneth Andrade.

-------------

Date Posted: 20/Jun/2007 at 12:17pm
That's a strange coincidence. I have a strong feeling Kenneth is one of this forums 'guests'!

Didn't UBS acquire Stanchart MF? I wonder why they are still using the old name.

Posted By: PrashantS
Date Posted: 20/Jun/2007 at 1:01am
Well how about these

DSPML Tiger ..i think its performance is similar compared to Reliance vision and the new fund DSPML smal and midcap fund....and HDFC TOP 200...all these funds have proved to be better than the other funds since last june

Date Posted: 20/Jun/2007 at 9:37am
Yes, the Tiger has been doing well both in Goa and in Mumbai! They have been aggressive with their stock picks and (Anup) Maheshwari is a smart manWink

-------------

Posted By: mragarwal
Date Posted: 26/Jun/2007 at 1:52am
Hi All,

Can someone please tell me which fund would be the best for a time frame of 3-5 years. Its basically for an NRI friend who refuses to invest in Equities. I was considering Sandip Sabharwal, Quantum, and other funds.. but cant decide.

Date Posted: 26/Jun/2007 at 5:18am
For some time lure of Sandeep S infatuated me to look into FM AMC but later on I decided to stay away. I go 100% with valueresearchonline.com for selecting MF.
I will advise to stick to 5 or 4 star funds in your preferred category.

-------------

Date Posted: 26/Jun/2007 at 11:58am
ValueResearchOnline.com waits for 3 years to assign a rating - that's the only drawback. I feel one year is enough to find out a mutual fund's risk adjusted returns. With the launch of new and innovative funds (not the usual NFO melas), it would  make sense to look outside the 4 and 5 star funds too.

Quantum Mutual Fund is very interesting. It is probably the only fund that uses 'value style' investing. To save costs, they don't use distributors. You need to go to QuantumAMC.com website to buy their mutual fund.

Date Posted: 27/Jun/2007 at 12:06pm
http://www.valueresearchonline.com/funds/newsnapshot.asp?schemecode=221 - Templeton India Growth is known for seeking value for years. They have higher 1 yr return than Quantum. Although I am not suggesting either. The point I am making is that old & tested funds are much better than similar genre.
Some new innovation could be just marketing strategy. Remember long-short funds have failed to impress on returns.

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Jun/2007 at 12:17pm

I don't know how I missed Templeton India Growth. Their portfolio looks 'value style oriented' allright.

I genuinely feel some funds offer something unique -

SBI Magnum Comma Fund - Retail investors are mostly terrible at picking commodity stocks. So invest in Comma Fund if you want to ride a sugar or a cement boom again

Principal Global Opportunities Fund -  Only fund that puts 100% of its corpus in non-Indian equities.

Date Posted: 27/Jun/2007 at 12:20pm
Mobius has gone wrong on his value based investing strategy. I know the value guys on this forum will pouncfe on me but as an investor I always look at the opportunity cost of money. If a stock makes less money for 4-5 years I cannot console myself with a a startegy that is followed on the basis of what was laid down by Graham and Dodd! 

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Jun/2007 at 8:30pm
As far as QuantumAMC goes, I would listen to none but our Monu jee's expert opinion. Where is he..... by the way?

-------------

Posted By: ndzapak
Date Posted: 30/Jun/2007 at 7:51am

Lessons in do-it-yourself investing

Millions of American investors are making the transition to self-directed investing. As Peter Lynch put it in One Up on Wall Street, "Rule #1, in my book, is: stop lis­tening to professionals. Twenty years in this business convinces me that any normal person using the custom­ary three per cent of the brain can pick stocks just as well, if not better, than the average Wall Street expert. Think like an amateur...If you're a surfer, a truck driver, a high school dropout, or an eccentric retiree, then you've got an edge already."

You can build a winning mutual fund portfolio by yourself, because all of the expertise you need is now available to you. Wall Street's historic monopoly over financial information no longer exists - investors today are not dependent on their brokers for tips or informa­tion resources. The power has shifted from Wall Street's institutions to Main Street America.

Discount brokerage first weakened Wall Street's stranglehold in the 1970s. On-line technologies widened the gap in the 1980s and 1990s. Now we're entering a new phase in this revolution, with the emergence of the self-reliant, self-directed investor.

The new do-it-yourself investors are taking control of their financial future. Armed with a new spirit of confi­dence, they are discovering the best tools to accomplish their goals and quickly learning how to use these tools to build successful portfolios. No-load, high-performing funds and other discounted services advance this new freedom.

A new age of insecurity - and financial self-reliance

In decades past, American investors relied on a variety of institutions - the government, employers, and Wall Street - �to guide them safely into retirement. They made the key financial decisions affecting our lives. Someone else had the information and the resources, so individual investors were dependent on their authority and wisdom.

This is not the case today. Now investors are moving through a new age of insecurity. Concerns about their financial futures are forcing American investors to become self-reliant. And they're rising to the challenge. Today, investors are not only financially savvy and computer-literate, they're also filled with a confidence that they can indeed manage their own financial future far better than any outside authorities, in government, corporate America, and Wall Street's institutions. It's easy to do so with mutual funds.

An explosion in mutual funds

Nowhere is this trend toward self-reliance and independence more obvious than in the explosive growth in the mutual funds owned by individual investors. US mutual fund assets have exploded more than twenty-fold since the mid-1980s Fidelity Investments alone, the largest US mutual fund family is now larger than the entire mutual fund market of the mid-1980s.

Today there are over 10,000 funds to choose from, a tenfold increase over the mid-1980s, with 500 to 1,000 new funds being added every year. In fact, there are now more four- and five-star top-performing funds than there were total funds a decade ago. As a result, advertisements for mutual funds are now so loaded with stars they look like ads for Hollywood movies.

Four phases in America's financial revolution

Phase One. The advent of the discount broker in the mid-1970s marked the start of the individual investing revolution. Savvy investors suddenly had a bonanza of new options.

Phase Two. Beginning in the early 1990s, the number of investors with on-line brokerage accounts at Schwab and the other on-line pioneers grew from fewer than 100,000 in 1993 to more than 5 million in five years. Fifteen million more were predicted for the early years of the next decade.

Phase Three. The late 1990s brought new on-line tools and the continuing proliferation of financial information � making it possible for individuals to manage the explosion in mutual fund choices. This effectively diminished Wall Street's historic monopoly on financial information, and empowered individuals to take command of their portfolio choices.

Phase Four. From 2000 on, investment technologies are advancing so rapidly that all individual investors have access to on-line power tools that can automatically handle all the analysis, planning, portfolio monitoring, and trading, as do-it-yourself investing becomes the standard.

Investors' demand for new investment opportunities is so intense today that fund managers, brokerage firms, and financial advisers are doubling and tripling their advertising budgets to capture market share, and are routinely moving into the television and Internet media.

Fueled by this increasing tide of new advertising monies, the major financial magazines are expanding coverage of mutual fund news substantially, providing their readers with more and better information with which to make financial choices. The cost is next to nothing compared with brokerage fees.

You can do it better yourself

True, the amount of information out there presents its own challenges. But the good news is that information continues to get better and cheaper. Investors are discovering a host of new keep-it-simple solutions, and not just through high-tech and online resources.

Driven by a commercial need to sell their periodicals and to compete for ad dollars and readers, even the print media are transforming themselves into low-tech wholesale providers of professional-quality financial advice. Whatever you need to know about your mutual funds - it's out there and easy to get.

Being a do-it-yourself investor means using a total approach and focusing on mutual funds for the long term. It means integrating financial planning, simple asset allocation models, and disciplined portfolio management. Do-it-yourself investors should never chase the hot fund of the week or gamble their future on short-term market swings. They want funds and fund managers with long-term, proven track records.

Creating a winning mutual fund portfolio with appropriate asset allocation models is an ideal way for investors to keep it simple and eliminate the cost of the middleman.

Burton Malkiel - former member of the Council of Economic Advisers, former governor of the AMEX, and author of A Random Walk Down Wall Street�- offers this bit of encouragement: "Many people say that individual investors have scarcely a chance today against Wall Street's pros...Nothing could be further from the truth. You can do it as well as the experts - perhaps even better." Do it yourself.

Excerpt from:

The Winning Portfolio: How to choose the best mutual funds

By Paul B. Farrell

Publisher: Vision Books

Price: Rs 145

Paul B. Farrell, J. D., Ph.D., is the mutual funds editor of CBS MarketWatch, where he writes the "Farrell-on-Funds" column and maintains the SuperStar Funds database. He is the author of three previous books on investing and has been an investment banker with Morgan Stanley, associate editor at The Los Angeles Herald Examiner, and chief operating officer of the Financial News Network, USA.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

URL for this article:

http://www.rediff.com///money/2007/jun/29mf.htm

-------------
the Equitydesk is the best

Date Posted: 01/Jul/2007 at 9:11pm
Here is a very good article, a must read.

Mutual Dislike

The waiter came round with a dish of delectable looking titbits. Ramanujam Narayanamoorthy Krishnaswamy looked suspiciously at them and asked the waiter, "Veg?"

The waiter assumed a supercilious attitude and looking like a parent taking special pride in his super achiever son, sniffed loudly and said with disdain, "No sir. Those are Roasted meat balls crisped in Honey and Hunan sauce!"

Ramanujam hastily withdrew his half extended fingers and waved the waiter away. Another waiter followed with an attractive array of sparkling liquids in various colours. "Sir, Teacher's Kingfisher Red Bull."

"Why?" asked Ramanujam.

The waiter looked puzzled. Ramanujam clarified, "Yeah, I mean if he was the teacher's Kingfisher, he must have been taught properly not to read bull."

The waiter made a spot decision. He decided that this person did not need any more and quietly sidled away, leaving behind an extremely puzzled Ramanujam. He kept wondering why a person who looked quite sane, if one judged by the black jacket and bow tie, would make such a statement while carrying coloured liquids. Of course, this was second only to the mystery of how a Kingfisher could read.

Suddenly, there was activity on the podium and a smiling gentleman made an announcement, "We are indeed fortunate that we have amongst us an expert like Mr. Suvarna Lele who will explain to us how this new mutual fund is your best opportunity in recent times."

Ramanujam had no inkling as to how the fortunate looked, he being never that fortunate. So he folded his arms and looked on benevolently. However, he quickly realized that instead of fortunate, he was looking smug and self satisfied. He speedily unfolded his arms and looked at the speaker with attention and mouth open. But he discarded this pose as rapidly because this made him look stupid and not fortunate. So instead he just leaned back and gazed dreamily ahead, hoping that no one would notice that he was not looking as fortunate as he ought to look.

Mr. Lele cleared his throat and started, "The Sensex is touching new highs and the commonest question that people ask me is that is this the right time to invest." Here Mr. Lele paused for dramatic effect. Then with a flourish he exclaimed, "Of course! The answer is YES! Can you guess why I am telling you to invest even at these high levels?"

Here Ramanujam thought that he had the perfect opportunity to help the speaker along. Which speaker does not like a responsive audience? He immediately raised his hand and exclaimed, "Is it because you get paid your commission no matter what happens to our money?"

Mr. Lele looked annoyed, but smiling he said, "That was a rhetorical
question, Mr. Er ...."

"Ramanujam Narayanamoorthy Krishnaswamy, Sir." said Ramanujam helpfully.

"Er ... yes! Mr. Rama... whatever. Thank you. What I meant to say was that could you make a profit even at these high levels? And the answer surprisingly is yes! And that is because we are going to invest in only high growth companies. So what will happen is that whether the market does well or not, our fund will pick only those companies giving us good profit."

Ramanujam's hand went ballistic again. Mr. Lele turned to him and said, "Yes, Mr. Rama."

"Ramanujam Narayanamoorthy Krishnaswamy, Sir. Sir do you mean to say that all the other mutual funds will invest in low growth companies or in companies not giving them good profit?" Ramanujam was genuinely puzzled.

"Let's not discuss other fund houses. What I want to stress is that we have a team of experts, led by me, who will spot all the budding companies and invest in them before they start making a huge profit. Let me give you a simple example. If anyone had invested Rs. 1000 in Infosys during its early days, he would be a dollar millionaire today. ONLY 1000 RUPEES!"

Again Ramanujam hand became animated. Lele looked wearily at him. "Yes Mr. Rama?"

"Ramanujam Narayanamoorthy Krishnaswamy, Sir. Just one simple question, Sir. How many thousands did you invest in Infosys in those early days?"

Now Lele was looking distinctly uncomfortable. "Those were early days. But now I have experience. Anyway, what I want to stress is that we are going to invest your money in all the top companies, not from one region, but from North, South, East and West."

This time Ramanujam raised his hand almost apologetically. Lele wiped his brow with a hanky and said, "Mr. Rama."

"Ramanujam Narayanamoorthy Krishnaswamy, Sir. Actually, sir, I have rather liked that advertisement of yours, which shows all the beauty queens from all the four corners of India (poor Madhya Pradesh) come and crown the investor. But does that mean, sir that others are not investing on an all India basis? Or are you going to keep a reservation policy, where each region will have a certain quota allotted to it?"

"Thank you, Mr. Rama for ..."

"Ramanujam Narayanamoorthy Krishnaswamy, Sir."

"Oh yes! Thanks for liking our advertisement. But we sincerely mean it."

"You mean beauty queens will come from all over to crown us?"

"Ha! Ha! You are joking. No, what I mean is we will see which companies have the potential from all the regions of India and then invest in them."

"But shouldn't we see the profit rather than the region of these companies? And don't pan Indian companies have greater potential than only regional companies?"

A manager beckoned a waiter on the side and told him to give that gentleman a drink. However, the waiter assured him that he was already incoherent.

Then give him something to eat said the manager. The waiter again assured him that he does not eat. The poor manager looked glumly on.

The ill at ease Mr. Lele was now looking distinctly uncomfortable. He
cleared his throat and proceeded, "We have a very superior model of
investing. You must have seen our advt of buying apples, oranges and peaches at the same time. Thus we spread our risk over large cap, mid cap and small cap companies."

Inevitably, he eyed Ramanujam Narayanamoorthy Krishnaswamy's frantic hand wearily and said, "Okay! Now what?"

"Ramanujam Narayanamoorthy Krishnaswamy, Sir."

"I know! I know!"

"Sir, isn't that what all diversified mutual funds are already doing? How
are your apples and bananas any different?"

"Apples and oranges. The difference is in our selection. But hold on. I
haven't yet told you about the most important feature of our fund. We assure you the safety of your principal. So no matter what happens, you will get back your principal! How about that Mr. Ramanujam Narayanaswamy Krishnamoorthy, I got that right, didn't I?"

"Er no! It is Ramanujam NarayanaMOORTHY KrishnaSWAMY, Sir. Yes sir, your idea of safety of our capital looks good. But how much do we pay for this guarantee?"

"Nothing much, only 5 % to the guarantor bank, and a lock-in period of three years."

Ramanujam thought this over and said, "Okay. So what you are saying is that we should pay 5 % of our investments to a Bank, betting that the price of companies will go below their 3 year's old price, something which has never happened anytime in the past!"

At that moment, the manager diplomatically announced that there would be a short break for refreshments and the discussions would continue after that.

Mysteriously, after the break, Ramanujam Narayanamoorthy Krishnaswamy was nowhere to be seen, and the speaker began, "I think I shall begin from the beginning so that we understand the concepts clearly."

---- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BS_from_KS_Veg/message/4069 - Kishore Shah

(No actual mutual funds were harmed during the making of this article.
However, all the concepts have been taken from recent NFOs.)

Source: BS from KS http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BS_from_KS_Veg/message/4069 - here

-------------

Posted By: nikhil090
Date Posted: 01/Jul/2007 at 11:23pm
Good one !!

Date Posted: 01/Jul/2007 at 1:22am
Thanks All for your advices. Based on further reading the threads related to mutual funds here- i believe i just go ahead and recommend Standard Chartered Premium Equity Fund to my NRI friend? or are there any other funds to opt for?

Date Posted: 01/Jul/2007 at 1:48am

If your NRI friend is a 'invest and forget' kind of person, Stan Chart might not be such a good idea. If (s)he can track the performance of the fund regularly, then it might be ok.

Date Posted: 01/Jul/2007 at 10:12am
Yes,Stan Chart Primier Fund is great...Definitely recomend to invest in this fund..I have become a fan of this fund..

-------------

Date Posted: 02/Jul/2007 at 1:42pm
Thanks DeveshJi and smartcatji.. thanks for your advice

Date Posted: 02/Jul/2007 at 2:36pm
Fantastic writeup! Tongue

Originally posted by kulman

Here is a very good article, a must read.
BS from KS http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BS_from_KS_Veg/message/4069 -

-------------

Date Posted: 11/Jul/2007 at 11:35am
Is Sandeep Sabharwal back in play (DNA)

Is Sandeep Sabharwal back? One look at the performance of JM Financial Mutual Fund’s equity schemes indicates the fund house has revived its fortunes after he joined.

On a three-month basis, five of the top 30 schemes in the equity category of mutual funds belong to JM, a fund house never known for its equity offerings.

For the period under consideration, there were 279 equity schemes available in the market. Even over a longer period of six months, 3 of the top 10 schemes in the category belong to JM Financial.

Sabharwal joined JM Financial Mutual Fund in December 2006. Before that he had worked wonders with the equity schemes at SBI Mutual Fund, where he was the head of equity between 2003 and 2005.

Mutual fund investors seem to have taken note of JM’s recent good run. When Sabharwal joined, the fund house managed just Rs 150 crore in equity assets.

Now, six months since his joining, its equity assets under management have swelled to over Rs 750 crore. “When we got a new team and started restructuring our schemes in the first quarter of 2006, people were a little skeptical. But now, with performance and the growth in assets, investors have slowly started instilling confidence in us,” said Sabharwal

Take the case of JM Basic Fund, which is the number one scheme in the equity category over a six-month period, having generated returns of 38.4%. In fact, over a one-year period, the scheme has generated returns of 86.1% and ranks third among the equity schemes available in the market.

The assets under management of the scheme, which stood at Rs 9.03 crore as on December 31, 2006, roughly around the time Sabharwal took over, had swelled to Rs 150 crore as on June 30, 2007

The scheme’s pet themes are capital goods, engineering, construction, metal, material and oil & gas. “Our focus was to broadbase the portfolio and it has paid off,” said Sabharwal

What has clearly worked for Sabharwal is his old habit of betting on concentrated portfolios. For example, the JM Emerging Leaders Fund, which “invests in companies that can be in multiples of their current size”, had 50 stocks when Sabharwal took it over

Today, of the 25 stocks, only one remains from the earlier portfolio. Sabharwal is keen on keeping it a lean fund with a low portfolio churn. The assets under management have grown to around Rs 130 crore now, compared with Rs 50 crore six months ago

JM’s Financial Services Fund, which is ranked number 1 in the three-months returns category made a killing on India Infoline. It bought the stock at around Rs 350 levels, and sold it at Rs 700 levels about a month ago. And considering that 9% of the fund’s portfolio was in this stock, the gains for investors were phenomenal.

We believe that financial services and telecom are going to do well in the next five years. But as a strategy, we are not pushing sector funds, because they are more high-risk funds. We are asking investors to get into diversified equity and thematic funds,” said Sabharwal

Another factor that seems to have worked in Sabharwal’s favour is the low equity asset base when he took over. As mentioned earlier, when Sabharwal took over, the fund house had only Rs 150 crore in its equity schemes

“Having low assets works in your favour initially. It makes it easier to restructure if you have a smaller portfolio. But in the long run, a fund being too small or too large will work to its disadvantage,” says Sabharwal
---------------------------------------------
Concentration pays for Sandeep Sabharwal too!!

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Jul/2007 at 9:20pm
Concentration pays for Sandeep Sabharwal too
It pays for anyone who is not unnecessarily diversified. remember Buffet's example of creating Noah's arc.But these things are easier said then done the fear of failure makes people hold on to diversified (unsure) portfolios.

-------------

Date Posted: 16/Jul/2007 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by deveshkayal

Is Sandeep Sabharwal back in play (DNA)

Devesh Ji,

Thanks for sharing this information with us. This is really interesting bit of news.

Date Posted: 16/Jul/2007 at 9:25am

Witness the returns generated by the best names, featured on the other side of the spectrum, and you will realise how different these are from the laggards

You don’t have to be a capital market wizard to know that the past three years and more have been superlative for equities. Stocks have surged ahead, firmly shoring up India’s stature among all emerging markets. Equity funds have, generally speaking, put up a good show during this phase. The top performers among them have actually turned in over 65 per cent, considering the end-June numbers.

So, what are funds such as LIC Mutual Fund Equity, UTI Master Value or Birla Dividend Yield Plus really doing, having delivered extremely uninspiring returns, lower than 35 per cent in each case?

Witness the returns generated by the best names, featured on the other side of the spectrum, and you will realise how different these are from the laggards. Just for the record, Magnum Global, Magnum Contra and Sundaram BNP Paribas Select Midcap have provided 73 per cent, 68 per cent and 66 per cent respectively.

One year scenario

And if you are stumped to see the differences between the laggards and the leaders (on a three-year basis), you will indeed be shocked by some of the one-year scores.

Consider the winners. Standard Chartered Premier Equity has 79 per cent to its credit, followed by ICICI Prudential Services Industries (76 per cent), JM Basic (73 per cent), ICICI Pru Infrastructure (64 per cent) and DBS Chola Opportunities (64 per cent). At the other side are JM Emerging Leaders (12 per cent), DBS Chola Global Advantage (15 per cent), Principal Dividend Yield (19 per cent), UTI Contra (20 per cent) and ABN Amro Dividend Yield (20 per cent). All these figures, pertaining to June 30, are taken from Value Research.

We are not trying to confuse you here with too many names. We are only attempting to bring to your notice a simple thing – a poorly performing equity fund, which obviously has an messy portfolio of stocks, can ruin your case even if the overall market is doing well.

Sometimes, funds managed by the same asset management company can display wide differences in returns. JM Emerging Leaders, positioned as it is at the bottom of the heap, is obviously having a bad time. JM Basic, on the other hand, is among the best performers. We are talking about one-year scores here, mind you.

Five-year scene

How are the players positioned over a five-year period? Take a look at the latest stats. Reliance Mutual Fund and SBI Mutual Fund are two fund houses with a special distinction. Each has two representatives in the grand list (‘Top Five’). Reliance Growth (59 per cent), Magnum Contra (57 per cent), Magnum Global (56 per cent), DSP Merrill Lynch Equity (52 per cent) and Reliance Vision (51 per cent) make up the coveted set.

The ‘Bottom Five’ is made up of LIC MF Equity, Taurus Discovery Stock, UTI MNC, ING Select Stocks and UTI Mastershare. These have provided returns in the 28-34 per cent range.

It is for the fund houses concerned to correct things that are going wrong. A consistence underperformance will not get them more assets. Instead, assets will deplete and more investors will consider pulling out. For the fund managers, the moral of the story is simple: Perform well, assets will grow; perform poorly, you will have to look for your next job sooner than you thought.

Source: Hindu BizLine

-------------

Date Posted: 18/Jul/2007 at 4:25pm
Adding on about another fund manager- Anoop Bhaskar... article from valueresearchonline.com

Data never lies. But besides stating the truth, it can often throw up some remarkable insights. This is what we found when we looked at the weekly ranking of funds over the past 6 weeks.

What's really interesting is that over the long-term, the top performers stayed constant. http://www.valueresearchonline.com/funds/newsnapshot.asp?schemecode=183 - Reliance Growth (No. 1), http://www.valueresearchonline.com/funds/newsnapshot.asp?schemecode=633 - Magnum Contra (No. 2) and http://www.valueresearchonline.com/funds/newsnapshot.asp?schemecode=201 - Magnum Global (No. 3) were the top performers over the 5-year return period.

The Magnum funds carried their winning streak even further. In the 3-year period, Magnum Global has been No. 1 and Magnum Contra No. 2 consistently. But while the 5-year and 3-year performance rankings give them much to boast about, they tend to dip slightly in the 2-year rankings. When it comes to 1-year or less, the slide is rapid.

Sample this. For the week ended June 1, Magnum Global was No. 1 (3-year), No. 3 (5-year), and No. 8 (2-year). But it slides to No. 106 (1-year) and No. 148 (6-month). For the week ended July 6, the slide was less dramatic at No. 33 (1-year) and No. 138 (6-month).

These Magnum funds were all handled by Sandip Sabharwal. When in SBI Mutual Fund, they all shot to prominence under his leadership and are now handled by Sanjay Sinha. Sabharwal has now moved on to J M Mutual Fund. His handling of http://www.valueresearchonline.com/funds/newsnapshot.asp?schemecode=3157 - JM Basic has thrown up some interesting numbers. Being a relatively new fund, it does not have a 3-year and 5-year performance record and started a 2-year performance only from June 22. For the week ended June 1, it bagged the No. 1 slot across the 1-year, 6-month, 3-month, 1-month and 1-week time frame. Since then, its 1-year, 6-month and 3-month performance has put it in the No. 1 and No. 2 slot, only once slipping to No. 3. Its 2-year performance has also been improving every week.

Talking of moving fund managers, http://www.valueresearchonline.com/funds/newsnapshot.asp?schemecode=1386 - Sundaram BNP Paribas Select Midcap was handled by Anoop Bhaskar who has now moved to UTI Mutual Fund. The 3-year performance puts the fund in the tops slots but it drops for the 2-year period and then drastically falls for the 1-year period (a trend similarly observed in the two Magnum funds mentioned above). For instance, take the week ended June 8. It moved from No. 3 (3-year) to No. 11 (2-year) and No. 149 (1-year). Or the week ended July 6 which saw it move from No. 4 (3-year) to No. 10 (2-year) and then to No. 125 (1-year).

Where tech funds are concerned, http://www.valueresearchonline.com/funds/newsnapshot.asp?schemecode=774 - DSPML Technology.com is the undisputable leader. It has been No. 1 for the 3-month, 6-month, 1-year, 2-year, 3-year and 5-year period over all these six weeks. In the pharma space, http://www.valueresearchonline.com/funds/newsnapshot.asp?schemecode=2241 - Reliance Pharma rules. Out of the five pharma funds, none have been there for a 5-year time frame. While Reliance Pharma has often been relegated to the No. 2 spot in the 3-year time frame, it has been at No. 1 for 2-years, 1-year, 6-months, 3-months and 1-month.

The data looked at is over the 6 weeks ended June 1, 8, 15, 22, 29 and July 6, 2007.

Date Posted: 18/Jul/2007 at 4:33pm
As for ELSS, I suddenly see JM Equity Tax Saver Series 1 G as a SBI Magnum in the making- 3 years from now. :)

Date Posted: 24/Jul/2007 at 2:43am
Originally posted by mragarwal

These Magnum funds were all handled by Sandip Sabharwal. When in SBI Mutual Fund, they all shot to prominence under his leadership and are now handled by Sanjay Sinha. Sabharwal has now moved on to J M Mutual Fund. His handling of http://www.valueresearchonline.com/funds/newsnapshot.asp?schemecode=3157 -
The data looked at is over the 6 weeks ended June 1, 8, 15, 22, 29 and July 6, 2007.

The article is incorrectly quoting Sabharwal as handling JM Basic fund. JM Basic is handled by javascript:FundMgr%28%29; -

Date Posted: 24/Jul/2007 at 9:13am

Fund managers find the Street too smart

“Equity investments are just 3-4% of India’s household savings,” is a favourite refrain from mutual fund (MF) managers, especially when questioned about the prospects of new equity schemes. They do have a point there. But if this proportion is to grow, then fund managers need to certainly pull up their socks.

A DNA Money analysis of the one-year returns of 152 diversified equity funds shows that 74 of them, or almost 50% of them, have failed to beat their benchmarks. And 57 of them have failed to beat the Sensex. The situation was worse a year back, in 2005-06, when nearly 90% of the equity funds failed to beat the Sensex.

The regulations governing the MF industry require each scheme to have a benchmark index.

This is meant to help the investor figure out whether the MF is giving good returns because of the investment abilities of the fund managers or good market conditions. An MF scheme is deemed to have done well, if it beats the returns of its benchmark index and vice-versa.

That throws up the question: why should anyone invest in an actively managed equity fund when they can get better returns from an index fund? Index fund is an MF which collects money from investors and invests them in stocks that make up a stock market index, in the same proportion as their proportion in the index.

Sandesh Kirkire, chief executive officer, Kotak MF, has an explanation. “Over a long period of time, the Indian market is a stock pickers’ market.

In fact, this applies to all developing economies as newer sectors and opportunities keep opening up. Only the actively managed funds can tap such opportunities. Index funds would cover only a narrow part of the market,” he says.

One reason for the underperformance of so many schemes could be that assets under management (AUM) of equity funds have witnessed a phenomenal growth in the recent past. What was Rs 31,834 crore in January 2005 has now grown four-fold to Rs 1.26 lakh crore.

When AUM swells, it leaves the fund manager between the devil and the deep sea. If he decides to retain the funds collected and not to invest, the returns would go down.  If he decides to invest in a stock which he already owns and which would have probably gained handsomely, his returns are again reduced to that extent. The last option — to buy stocks which the fund manager would not have bought if the AUM were smaller — will again slacken returns.

Jason Zweig, in his commentary to Benjamin Graham’s investment classic, The Intelligent Investor, cites another reason. “As a fund grows, its fees become more lucrative - making its managers reluctant to rock the boat. The very risk that managers took to generate their initial high returns could now drive the investors away - and jeopardise all that fee income. So, the biggest funds resemble a herd of identical and overfed sheep, all moving in a sluggish lockstep, all saying ‘baaaa’ at the same time.”

In the all-time classic, A Random Walk Down Wall Street, Burton G Balkiel explains that over the entire 30-year period from 1973 to 2003 “two-third of the funds (in the US) proved inferior to the market as a whole”. The last thing we want is an Indian encore.

Complete article http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1111657 - here on DNA Money

-------------

Posted By: kishanpv
Date Posted: 31/Jul/2007 at 9:21pm
Can u provide me info of which are few of the best Mutual funds for ELSS

I give max. emphasis on HDFC Long term adv(G) & HDFC Taxsaver(G). Need any alternate fund house.

Date Posted: 31/Jul/2007 at 9:28pm

These two are the best but if you want to diversify try Reliance Tax saver and ICICIPRU.

-------------

Posted By: kishanpv
Date Posted: 31/Jul/2007 at 9:34pm
Tks Basantji.

Can u let me know how if HDFC's funds will be above/below reliance/ICICIPRU ?

Date Posted: 31/Jul/2007 at 11:32pm
 Above.

-------------

Posted By: PrashantS
Date Posted: 04/Aug/2007 at 3:43pm
I think we should have a report card for mutual funds too...What do u think Basantji???

Date Posted: 04/Aug/2007 at 5:13pm
valueresearchonline does  agreat job there so you know putting that leadership analogy in place we could concentrate on stocks since we do it the best.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/Sep/2007 at 10:54pm
MFs are definitely a better option

While the rapid losses could prompt you to make a hasty exit from the market, we advise you to hold on. Do not allow this roller-coaster ride to fox you.

Think smart, act prudent and most importantly, avoid timing the market as no one has ever succeeded, not even that great market guru, Peter Lynch. He once pointed out that if an investor tried to time the market for 20 years and missed the bus in the best 15 months (when stock prices scaled the highest peaks), he would have lost nearly 76% of the gains, compared to someone who continued to stay invested, irrespective of the swings in the market.

Certified financial planner and wealth advisor Gaurav Mashruwala says, “An individual’s investments should cater to the milestones in his life, rather than dance to the tunes of the market. Thus, if you have some idle funds that can be locked in for at least 5-7 years without stretching your pocket strings, try your hands at the stock market without the fear of burning them. 

Thus, when the bears dare to eat into this capital, it makes sense to hold on to your investments till the bulls return to recoup these capital losses.

To quote a simple example, if you had invested Rs 1,000 in an equity fund in ’95-96 at a net asset value (NAV) of say, Rs 13.82 and quit the fund in ’97-98 when the market was sluggish, you would have probably earned returns at an NAV of Rs 12.16 — a flat erosion of Rs 1.66 per unit of investment in three years. However, staying long say till ’03-04 may have earned you higher returns at an NAV of Rs 14.43. A longer stint, say till ’06-07 could have taken the NAV to about Rs 28.74. Thus, a longer spell in the market ensures that the capital eroded by bears is made up for by bulls.

Given the nominal outflow of investment from monthly earnings, salaried class investors find SIPs more affordable than one-time lump-sum investment. In fact, a SIP can generate higher returns in a volatile market vis-ŕ-vis a lump-sum investment — especially during a downturn, according to Ramganesh Iyer, director of PARK Financial Advisors.

As Mr Iyer explains, 60-70% of an investor’s MF investment should be in large-cap diversified equity schemes, while 30% of his/her portfolio (which can also be referred as the satellite portfolio) should constitute mid-cap funds.

As cricket experts say, the game is never over till the last ball is bowled. The same applies to your stock market investments. Patience and perseverance pay off more than than a bundle of nerves. Stay in the pitch till retirement, for there is always the chance to hit a six till the very last ball.

Complete article here on  http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ET_Features/Investors_Guide/Investment_should_not_dance_to_mkt_tunes/articleshow/2328534.cms - ET

-------------

Date Posted: 03/Sep/2007 at 11:17pm
JM Emerging Leaders Fund was up 0.35% against a 10.80% decline in its benchmark BSE.200 Clap. The only fund in the positive.

-------------

Posted By: us121
Date Posted: 09/Sep/2007 at 3:20pm
This is the fund in which i am doing SIP since jan 06 and have got superb return.

Source: IRIS (08 September 2007)
DSP ML TIGER Fund - Star Performer
If you are looking for funds with spectacular performance, DSP ML Tiger is one of the best funds in the large cap space that investors should consider strongly. Launched in May 2004, DSP ML Tiger is equity oriented diversified open-ended scheme. It aims to generate capital appreciation, from a portfolio that is substantially constituted of equity securities and equity related securities of corporate, which could benefit from structural changes brought about by continuing liberalization in economic policies by the government and/or continuing investments in infrastructure, both by the public and private sector.

DSP ML Tiger stood firm to its objectives to generate capital appreciation by delivering excellent returns in recent years. Over the last one year, the fund presented annualized return of 49.80% beating the benchmark BSE ?100 Index by a whopping margin of 17.68 % (DSP ML Tiger returns of 49.80% Vs benchmark returns of 32.12 %). The returns over the last two and three year period were 50.45% and 55.29% compared to benchmark 37.33 and 41.68 respectively. In the near term also, the fund presented annualized return of 34.42% in last six months, as against 24.58%, delivered by benchmark in the same period.

Moving forward to investment pattern, the fund targets high growth stocks particularly in large-cap space, at an appropriate time. It?s better, if we understand more about the investment philosophy and stock picking approach from fund manager. Soumendranath Lahiri, fund manager said, ``we are essentially bottom-up stock pickers with a degree of top-down macro analysis. Around 60% of our effort is bottom-up stock picking and the remaining 40 is top-down analysis, sectoral trends, macro analysis, etc. In India, we have not as yet gotten into that growth-value select focus verticals that you find in other global markets. But broadly I would say that, we are growth investors. But within that, there is a segment called growth at a reasonable price which is a nomenclature used in the West ? GARP. We are in that category, he added.

The fund total assets corpus zoomed 98.15% to Rs 224,17.26 million in Aug. 2007 from Rs 11,313.04 million in Sep. 2006. The fund allocated 36.86% of its portfolio to giant size companies, 20.93% to large caps, 35.55% to midcaps and 4.64% to small caps. The fund is betting on sectors such as construction, banks, telecom and industrial capital goods. Lahiri said, `` we continue to remain bullish on these sectors and we feel that there is significant value that can be extracted over the long term``.

Since government spending on infrastructure is the most important growth driver for construction companies, the proposed increase in allocation in union budget will translate into awarding of more projects. The finance minister in the union budget acknowledged the demands of the telecom sector to have a single levy instead of the current multiple levies and if the proposal of single levy goes through, it could usher in respite for the telecom service providers. With the government envisioning a telecom subscriber base of 650 mn by 2012, looks like the government is going to put its best foot forward in helping the sector to thrive. Structural reforms have paved the way for a change in the dynamics of the Banking sector. Besides gearing up for the compliance with Basel-II accord, the sector is also looking forward to consolidation and investments on the FDI front.

The fund manager has maximum exposure to stocks like Reliance Industries (5.23%), JaiPrakash Associates (3.51%), Bharti Airtel (3.34%),  BHEL (3.33%) and Sesa Goa (3.11%). The top three sectors have asset allocation of 35.08 % and the top five holdings constitute 18.52 % of assets. The Asset allocation of the fund is as follows Equity 91.38 % and others 8.62 %. The fund has no exposure in debt as on July end.
When asked about overall outlook of the market, Lahiri said, ``the market is currently trading at 16.5 times its estimated FY08 earnings. Stocks have shed significantly from their July highs and valuations on many stocks are attractive. The uncertainties looming over the markets have their source in two major factors, the political turbulence and the US sub prime market concerns. The intensity of the US sub prime rate crisis is yet not clear and it is difficult to gauge how much more pain is still to come. As long as there is unpredictability on the issue, volatility will continue to mar global markets in the near term.`` Locally our concerns are fewer. Earnings growth will continue to chug along. If it was 33-% last year ? fiscal`07, it should be 15-16% this year, after accounting for an increase in interest rates and other factors. In that context, the broader market indices are more or less in a fair valuation zone,`` Lahiri said.
With excellent performance, the fund is poised to do well under the guidance of Lahiri, who has proved that he can deliver good returns. The fund has outperformed the category and the benchmark index, with a strategy to find value picks. Investors with long-term perspective who are looking to take exposure in good stocks can invest in this fund. Lahiri advises, ``Deciding how, when and where to invest one?s hard-earned money involves much more than watching the market move up or down on a daily basis. One should carefully draw out a systematic financial plan based on one?s unique circumstances, ability to invest, risk appetite, financial goals and investment horizon. Once you have a clear idea of your financial position, you can determine an appropriate asset allocation mix that will help you achieve your financial goals.``

-------------
ABILITY will get u at d top. CHARACTER will retain u at d top

Date Posted: 11/Sep/2007 at 4:11pm
http://www.personalfn.com/detail.asp?date=9/3/2007&story=6 -
Say ‘no’ to star fund managers!

Source: personalfn

The stock markets are rising, fund houses are having a field day with rising assets under management and new fund offer launches, and star fund managers are back in action. It’s perceptible in the communication from fund houses. As a research outfit, we regularly interact with fund houses and sadly, not all the information we receive is through formal communication channels. Often fund houses choose to communicate off-the-record (we’ll leave a discussion on that topic for another day), and a common refrain we hear is, “we are confident because we have Mr. Star as a fund manager now” or even worse, “why don’t you recommend our schemes now that Mr. Star has joined our team of fund managers”. The message is clear; several fund houses are banking on the presence of a star fund manager to deliver a successful showing.

What makes a star fund manager?
So who qualifies as a star fund manager? Before answering that question, we need to understand how the investment process in a fund house works. Typically, each fund house has an investment philosophy of its own. Based on the same, certain investment processes are put in place. These investment processes in turn govern the investment decisions. For example, in case of an equity fund, they will play a part in deciding which stock should make it to the fund’s portfolio and in what circumstances, the same stock should be liquidated from the portfolio or holdings in the stock need to be trimmed down.

A star fund manager is an individual who, based on his experience, can override the investment processes. The presence of a star fund manager would mean that his decisions take priority over what the investment processes may suggest. Simply put, the star fund manager calls the shots in all matters related to investments.

The star fund manager is no novice
Make no mistake; the star fund manager is not incompetent at his job. On the contrary, he is likely to be an expert, an ace who has a track record of delivering. The expression “star” conveys that the fund manager has enjoyed a certain degree of success and created a standing for himself, which is distinct from the fund house he represents.

Why investing with a star fund manager is undesirable
If the star fund manager is an expert, then why shouldn’t investors associate with him? Simply because, the performance of funds managed by him solely depend on his presence. It is his presence i.e. his skill sets that are responsible for the performance. And when the star fund manager decides to quit the present fund house in search of greener pastures (which is a common occurrence in the mutual fund industry), he takes the “performance” with him. As a matter of fact, we have witnessed instances when the star fund manager took his team members (including analysts and even dealers) from the existing fund house when he jumped ship. The fund house, without the star fund manager, is incapable of delivering the performance that investors have come to expect of it.

In such a scenario, investors are faced with a rather unenviable option of following the star fund manager (and in the process liquidating their investments, perhaps bearing costs in the form of exit loads and then of course bearing an entry load when investing again) or staying invested with a fund house that is simply not equipped to deliver any more.

On the other hand, in a process-driven fund house, the performance is a result of well-laid out investment processes. The exit of any fund manager is unlikely to have a significant bearing on the performance of funds as he can be easily be replaced by another fund manager. This is because the investment process has been institutionalised i.e. it is independent of any individual.

It should be noted that even in a process-driven fund house, the fund managers are no pushovers. Hence the popular conception that being with a process-driven fund house implies having monies managed by second-rung fund managers holds no water. For example, Mr. Prashant Jain (HDFC Mutual Fund) and Mr. K.N. Sivasubramanian (Franklin Templeton Mutual Fund) rank among the best fund managers in the industry; but more importantly, they are with fund houses where investment processes rule the roost.

What investors must do
Investors must ensure that they are invested with process-driven fund houses and steer clear of fund houses that bank on star fund managers. Admittedly, that’s easier said than done. Here, the investment advisor/financial planner has an important role to play. The onus of ensuring that the investor’s interests are protected lies with the investment advisor/financial planner.

When your advisor recommends any mutual fund scheme, quiz him about the fund house and how its investment processes work. If the advisor starts quoting the name of a fund manager and elucidating how he has a wonderful track record of delivering superlative performances and his experience in various fund houses, there’s more than a fair chance that you are being recommended a scheme managed by a star fund manager. That should serve as a warning signal for you!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't it clear who they are talking about? TEDdies please post your views on this one.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/Sep/2007 at 4:19pm

Originally, I had the same opinion before. But after Sandip Sabharwal's entry in JM, most of their funds are now in Top 10 performers. It can't just be a coincidence, can it? I think Sandip changed the process of stock picking at JM too, thereby improving the performance of most JM funds.

Anyway, I wouldn't give too much weightage to Personalfn.com and Equitymaster.com's opinion on other Mutual Funds. They are the promoters of Quantum Mutual Fund!

Date Posted: 11/Sep/2007 at 4:40pm
Anyway, I wouldn't give too much weightage to Personalfn.com and Equitymaster.com's opinion on other Mutual Funds. They are the promoters of Quantum Mutual Fund!

-----------------------------------------------

Hey...you should say Q L T E M F.

by the way, I tend to agree with your point that S.S. changed/improved the process itself at JM.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/Oct/2007 at 9:50am
ABN Amro Equity Fund is gaining recognition for picking multi-baggers time & again. Once they picked Unitech, ibull and now REL Cap.

Date Posted: 19/Oct/2007 at 10:51am
Dna Money's article http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1128676 - about MFs ....

A study of the actively managed open-ended equity diversified schemes that have had a shelf life of at least five years indicates that schemes from all the fund houses barring UTI, Taurus, LIC, ING, DBS Chola and Birla Sun Life have had a 100% record of beating the benchmark.
SBI Mutual Fund, Franklin Templeton, Sundaram BNP Paribas, HDFC Mutual Fund and Principal Mutual Fund can be deemed the best-performing fund houses over a five-year period as they’ve managed three or more schemes in this category, and have beaten the benchmark in all of them.
As John C Bogle, the man who set up the Vanguard group of investment companies, writes in the book, Bogle on Mutual Funds - New Perspectives for the Intelligent Investor, “Reports by the financial press typically lionise the portfolio managers who had the ‘best’ records (i.e., achieved the largest gains) during the previous quarter or year or even longer. This myopic focus on past performance is not helpful. It is a flawed and a counterproductive way to select a mutual fund… In most cases, a fund should prove its merit over a period of at least five to ten years.”
--------------------------------

No Reliance there?

-------------

Date Posted: 19/Oct/2007 at 11:37am
No Reliance there?
-----------------------
Disappointed. Rel Vision Fund and Rel Growth Fund have been awarded by Lipper as amongst the best in the world.

-------------

Date Posted: 20/Oct/2007 at 1:05pm
I have lot of faith any mutual fund that beats the index consistently. That is, it should beat the index if I look at year-to-date returns, last 1 year, last 3 year, last 5 year and All Time returns.

Reliance Vision/Growth is one such fund.

Posted By: PKB2000
Date Posted: 16/Nov/2007 at 4:24pm
OPTIMIX MULTI - MANAGER EQUITY FUND -
One friend of mine enquired about this fund- is it good to invest in this fund in SIP (Systematic Investment Plan)!
I searched here and there and my conclusion is good!
What others say on it? Pls advise! 

-------------
I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

Date Posted: 16/Nov/2007 at 5:29pm
Is this a Fund of Fund? Generally FoFs in India give index returns or less than that. A look at http://www.optimixnet.com/OptiMix_Advantage/infinity.htm - Optimix's website to understand their schemes makes you laugh out loud.

"Tactical Asset Allocation"
"Active Manager Allocation"
"Asset Class Portfolio Construction"

Only a suit boot wala can come up with lines like that!

Ask your friend to check ValueresearchOnline.com to pick a normal diversified equity fund, based on either star ratings or returns performance.

Date Posted: 16/Nov/2007 at 8:40pm
For aggressive investors, bet on aggressive fund manager (Sandip Sabharwal), for conservative , bet on Sunil Singhania (Rel Growth Fund).

Dont invest in FoF.

-------------

Posted By: WallSt
Date Posted: 16/Nov/2007 at 8:52pm

Respected Members:

I have gone through entire thread and now I am more confuse. With help of members and my extensive reading on this forum helped me to create my stock portfolio. Due to limited knowledge or Indian equity market I am not able to select Good MFs for long term.. ( or May be I think its good but its not). Personally I am Index funds fan and It is proven that in longer term Index with low exp ratio will beat other actively managed funds. Now I need to create 2 kind of portfolio.

A-- For me Agressive(moadrate)- Would like to avoid sector funds-- Less flip flop- 5-10 Years

B- For Rtd person- Less aggressive- " " " 4-5 Yrs

Now with my little search on valuserchonline... I came up with these 2 funds

1) HDFC Index fund

2) Sundram Mid cap

3)

4)

5)

What would you sgeest for A & B?

TIA

Date Posted: 16/Nov/2007 at 9:33pm

Ask your friend to check ValueresearchOnline.com to pick a normal diversified equity fund, based on either star ratings or returns performance.

Well here is the problem that how far a man can be lazy!(my friend)
He has an account of his relative in ABN AMRO bank.
He wants everything online (P and R).
ABN AMRO bank at present only offers two types of MFs in its internet banking systm
1) ABN AMRO EQUITY FUND
2) OPTIMIX fund

Anyway I asked him to go for ABN AMRO EQUITY Fund ( in his special case)
I personally opted for an SIP of INR2000.00 of OPTIMIX  along with one SBI MUTUAL FUND of the same amount in ICICI DIRECT
Just to see how the fund of funds of Suit boot wala is competing with our own Indian Desi for a period of 24 months.

-------------
I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

Date Posted: 16/Nov/2007 at 9:39pm
I concur with SmartCat about Fund of Funds.

That OptiMix link is an eye opener. Here's their modus opernadi:

Looks more like Fun of Funds to me. And that infinity shaped diagram is more of a warning.

-------------

Date Posted: 17/Nov/2007 at 12:24pm
Thanks dada(s)
I personally have vested interest on the following mutual funds like
1. Reliance MF ( Equity, vision diverified power and media- total 4 catagory)
2. HDFC (1)
3. TATA (Infra, Balanced)
4. Stan chat (1)
5. ABN AMRO (Equity and Indo China)
6. DSP ML (Tiger, balanced, Technology)
7. SBI (global, Balanced)
8. ICICI PRU (service, equity and Asian)
9. Fidelity (1)
10. AIG (1)

Small amounts are exposed since last eight months and tracked on daily basis (almost), recently come out from Kotak Life style with very less profit.
Now I opt for OPTIMIX FOF very recently. Let me enjoy the fun! Its a new concept and agree with both of you that the FOF has too much complicated infinite structure.

-------------

Date Posted: 17/Nov/2007 at 1:00am
I have question for expert when I look PKB holding (no offense-just trying to understand the concept) and also when I talk to my cousin back in India i get  sense that people treat MF as stock in India. And hold 10-15 MF in portfolio.

Why should we have more than 2 or 3 MF? At end of the day they will overlap.

Do we pay attn to Exp ratio and load? They can hurt you in long term.

Shouldn't  we pick best index funds and sleep well?

There is huge competition between fidelity and vanguard group in US for  cutting exp ratio actually thats their sales pitch when they talk about  their funds.

People who is aware of Investment do not touch funds in US which has load attached to it, while in India its seems to common.

Isn't it 2 or 3MF should be solid part of your AAP and you should just do SIP and rest headache pass to fund manager?

Your input is very much welcome!

PS Also please look my previous msg ( I also put 5 MF in my list:-))and help me here.

Thanks,

Date Posted: 17/Nov/2007 at 1:39am
Originally posted by WallSt

I have question for expert when I look PKB holding (no offense-just trying to understand the concept) and also when I talk to my cousin back in India i get  sense that people treat MF as stock in India. And hold 10-15 MF in portfolio.

Why should we have more than 2 or 3 MF? At end of the day they will overlap.

Do we pay attn to Exp ratio and load? They can hurt you in long term.

There is huge competition between fidelity and vanguard group in US for  cutting exp ratio actually thats their sales pitch when they talk about  their funds.

People who is aware of Investment do not touch funds in US which has load attached to it, while in India its seems to common.

Isn't it 2 or 3MF should be solid part of your AAP and you should just do SIP and rest headache pass to fund manager?

Your input is very much welcome!

PS Also please look my previous msg ( I also put 5 MF in my list:-))and help me here.

Thanks,

I appreciate your concern.
For me holding so many MF  is just SLIGHT LESS than 4% of MY total equity exposure.
I have kept them for comparing my performance in direct exposure in equity vs. mutual fund.
Anyway one can argue that this can be done through simple searching and tracking method from any equity based site at free of cost.
But to be frank I do not get interest if I am not directly involved in it.
I wish that my capital gain from stock market can not be less than return from any mutual fund in the said period.
Besides time to time I just try to find how my fund managers are acting.
May be the information can not be 100% authentic  but what others can derive the conclusion by simple study I can get the same.
In gist this is a behavioural & performance study of fund mamagers and my own performance in compared to them (in turms of absolute return). BY NO WAY I THINK MYSELF THAT I AM SUPERIOR THAN ANY FUND MANAGER.
But I love to see that my return from direct equity is no way less than any MUTUAL FUND - that is my aim and objective.

-------------

Posted By: kg
Date Posted: 18/Nov/2007 at 9:05pm
PKB dada ..Rel vision has been really very sluggish ...do u think it needs a second consideration

-------------
Lets rock

Date Posted: 18/Nov/2007 at 10:47pm

This is where the problem lies - inconsistency in performance. So we go MF shopping like we go buy fruits, hoping to pick the juiciest ones.

Date Posted: 18/Nov/2007 at 10:51pm
There is some news flashing on the CNBC ticker regarding Index Funds. Plz check out.

-------------

Date Posted: 18/Nov/2007 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by kg

PKB dada ..Rel vision has been really very sluggish ...do u think it needs a second consideration
Boss what I find that Reliance is the leader of Indian stock market in any of its form till date. I think after Reliance equity in June launch they have changed there vision a little and we get the sluggish view of Reliance Vision. (Its my speculation only)

But if you ask me then I find Reliance equity, STAN CHAT Premium equity, DSPML balanced / Tiger, TATA balanced equity, SBI global / balanced are the front runner.
I must say that reliance diversified power will be proved only in the coming days over some more time only, though that has given the maximum return in my tracked MFS.
Also I am positive with ABN AMRO.
In short all of them are  in the ***** catagory. to give anything between 40 - 50 % return in 7 to 8 months
 I wish to add  that for the past one month the Reliance Media diversified has shown some growth.
It is not known to me whether have they  increased the percentage of ADLABs or UTV soft in its portfolio (In TV media sectors) in recent past. Aparrantly it seems the other media stocks have not grown to that extent and most brokerage houses seems to be neutral in regard to media. Though the return from a MF may not reflect the performance of top 10 or 25 holding stocks what we generally track!

-------------

Date Posted: 18/Nov/2007 at 4:44am

This is where the problem lies - inconsistency in performance. So we go MF shopping like we go buy fruits, hoping to pick the juiciest ones.

If possible please elaborate.

Also do we know why we have exp ratio is 1.50% (except UTI master index)

Where do they spend this money? You just have to follow Index. or Nifty 50.

Date Posted: 18/Nov/2007 at 4:58am
Msg from PKB

I appreciate your concern.
For me holding so many MF  is just SLIGHT LESS than 4% of MY total equity exposure.....

Thanks PKB for your detail response. I guess my investment style is different or I would say less aggressive. I would prefer to stick my AAP and will keep less volatile funds. (eg Index funds). And I believe that if we directly invest in stock  then to balance our portfolio we should keep Index in our portfolio.

I am also not sure  in such a hot mkt like Payal RastogiWink anyone will buy my argument.Confused

BTW you don't have to answer if you don't feel but when you say 4% in MF that means 96% is in stock?

Thanks,

Date Posted: 18/Nov/2007 at 10:46am
In India, a fairly high percentage of actively managed funds beat the index. So I guess that's why index funds are not very popular. Yeah, there is no reason why index funds should charge 1.5%.

Date Posted: 19/Nov/2007 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by WallSt

Msg from PKB

BTW you don't have to answer if you don't feel but when you say 4% in MF that means 96% is in stock?

Thanks,
Yes for equity related investment / trading excluding (Insurance+PPF etc.)
I do not have any FD.

As far as aggressiveness is concerned I believe in a common bengali saying - "Jale nambo abar chul bhejabo na tao kokhono hoy" Means wish to swim without wetting hair is impossible. Equity market itself is less defensive bet, so aggression is the best way of handling the equity market!
Besides  there is no history (past five years) of any mutual fund to give negative return after holding them for some reasonable time (say  for six months) so why worried!

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Dec/2007 at 7:43am

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1137482 - Churning kills returns

In mutual fund parlance, churning a portfolio means buying and selling the funds frequently. This is the reverse of the recommended method of investing, i.e. making investments and staying invested for the long-term.

Investors generally churn their portfolios because they are advised by their mutual fund agent/advisor to do so. The agent often passes back to them a portion of the commission he earns as an incentive to induce the churn.

Also, there is this inexplicable urge in investors to invest in funds with lower net asset values (NAVs) or new fund offers (NFOs) that leads to a churn.

Whatever be the case, it should be understood that exiting one fund and subsequently reinvesting in another could involve additional costs in the form of exit load or entry load or in some instances both. And over the long term, these costs add up and have a detrimental impact on the returns.

The onus to not get carried away by ‘motivated’ sales pitches of the investment advisor and make an informed investment decision lies with you.

Source: http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1137482 - Churning kills returns

-------------

Date Posted: 07/Dec/2007 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by kulman

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1137482 - Churning kills returns

Well I now wish to churn a few of existing Mutual funds and switch to other.
There are chances that some sectors that I do not like to invest (direct equity) at the moment can be favoured sectors by some or many fund managers.
Please suggest the best in the following catagory
1. Technology (IT sectors) (both for SIP and Six months target).
By the by I have DSPML Technology fund in this catagory.
2. Commodity fund (based on steel, sugar and agri based products).

-------------

Date Posted: 08/Dec/2007 at 6:07pm
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/fafb64ec-02c4-11db-9231-0000779e2340.html - Short-term performance is a meaningless metric
By Arne Alsin

The market is chock-full of short-term performance chasers. These are investors who steer their capital toward investment managers who have generated recent hot performance. By the way, I consider anything less than five years to be short-term.

Short-term performance chasers tend to be emotional and impulsive. When an investment strategy is not working investors get frustrated. Switching to a different strategy (or manager) is seen as a fix. The problem is that short-term performance-chasing leads to underperformance, not outperformance.

For example, at the peak in the Nasdaq in March 2000, investors piled into growth and technology funds because those funds had terrific one-, three-, and five-year track records. Of the 50 most popular mutual funds – measured by the amount of investor inflows for the 12 months ending in March 2000 – 48 underperformed the average fund over the next five years.

How did the most unpopular funds perform? The 50 funds with the largest outflows in the preceding 12 months gained an average of 21 per cent over the next five years against a 1 per cent gain for the average fund.

There are several reasons why this performance-chasing fails to boost returns.

■Great performance is not coincident with great management
Performance is a lagging indicator of investment decision-making. Multi-bagger stocks often look quite average, even mediocre, during the first year or two of ownership.

■Reversion to the mean
 This dynamic – that performance eventually reverts to the average – is an overwhelming force in the market. While it should be a big issue for investors, it is largely ignored. On this I’ll be blunt: some money managers are incompetent. The problem for short-term performance chasers is that incompetent managers can have a run of luck. When the luck turns, investors who buy based on a couple of years of hot performance can get blindsided. Since most managers underperform the market over the long term, investors should view short-term outperformance with suspicion.

■Misperception of risk
 Short-term performance chasers act based on a flawed understanding of risk. Consider this example: fund manager A pays $60 each for several stocks that he accurately calculates to be worth $100 each. This is a good decision. Shortly thereafter, each stock rises to $100. His rate of return is terrific, at 67 per cent.

Investors react in predictable fashion. They pour money into the fund because fund manager A has produced such a high return. But if the portfolio stays the same, risk has escalated significantly because the assets are no longer held at a big discount to value.

Another manager, fund manager B, also pays $60 each for several stocks that he accurately calculates to be worth $100 each. As with fund manager A, this is a good decision. But, shortly thereafter each stock falls to $45. The fund is down by 25 per cent.

Investors react predictably to a 25 per cent decline and flee fund manager B in droves. The investors have made a mistake. If we assume, like the example above, that the portfolio stays the same, the assets are now very low risk. That is because value now exceeds price by a wider margin that when they were originally purchased. It also follows that investors are fleeing just when their expected return is exceptionally high; eventually the $45 quote for each stock will migrate to the asset value of $100.

Short-term performance has nothing to do with the decision-making skills of fund managers A and B. The managers made equally good decisions. One was lucky because quotes quickly jumped to fair value. The other was unlucky because cheap prices got even cheaper.

■Investors see a “cause and effect” in short-term performance
 Implicit in the flow of funds into fund manager A and away from fund manager B is that investors think short-term performance is an indicator of skill. In fact, short-term performance is generally a meaningless metric.

-------------

Posted By: vinoodpk
Date Posted: 08/Dec/2007 at 9:09pm
PKB dada over the last 5 years the bulls have been in complete charge.  When this happens all the boats gets lifted simultaneously and even the worst managed funds start giving good returns.  Hence it is very important to find out how well have these funds performed when the markets were bearish in the past.

Date Posted: 09/Dec/2007 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by vinoodpk

PKB dada over the last 5 years the bulls have been in complete charge.  When this happens all the boats gets lifted simultaneously and even the worst managed funds start giving good returns.  Hence it is very important to find out how well have these funds performed when the markets were bearish in the past.

Yes an analysis is important for all seasons, hope within few weeks will get some more data!!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window