Print Page | Close Window

Zee Entertainment Enterprises

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Investment Ideas - Creating winning portfolios!
Forum Name: Stock Synopsis
Forum Discription: A bried discussion of companies on very specific matters. Normally this is the prelude for further research as always members would be discussing quality companies with good management only
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=442
Printed Date: 26/Jun/2024 at 1:29am

Topic: Zee Entertainment Enterprises
Posted By: catcall
Subject: Zee Entertainment Enterprises
Date Posted: 01/Oct/2006 at 10:53am
Zee telefilms: Is this script a buy at current levels?...

Replies:
Posted By: basant
Date Posted: 02/Oct/2006 at 4:17pm

Had Subhas Chandra been clean in his past dealings I would have had Zee Tv as my top media pick. The stock benefits from the following aspects:

1) Under CAS the boradcastor takes up 45% revenue; the MSO 30% while the balance is shared by the last mile operator. In this case Zee through its subsisiary (Siti Cable) should be increasing its subscriptyion revenues multifold.

2) Even if CAS does not happen Zee is engaged in DTH which should grow at more then 100% each year.

3) SIti cable is a classic http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=261 - spin off case  and I heard the management talk about a 100% CAGR for the next couple of years.

4) Zee has taken up the number 1 position from STAR and is  maintaining it quite well.

5) The present slew of new businesses are in the take off stage so these costs are adding up while therevenues could take some time. That is why they are not showing in the results.

6) The content library at ZEE CInema is huge that cost once written off works like a Taxi meter (runs even when the car is standing)

7) Never looked at it seriously because of the management but ZEE is one of the best media picks along with http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29 -

Posted By: investor
Date Posted: 05/Oct/2006 at 2:25pm
For those who are invested in ZEE, if you are interested, you can check out
the latest issue of BUSINESS TODAY magazine. There is a detailed story
on the indian television sector, and how Zee has upstaged STAR and SONY
recently, and how Ekta's K-serials are slowly losing viewers.

Though it remains to be seen if ZEE can maintain this hold(STAR is usually
known to bounce back very quickly - remember their launch of STAR ONE
channel with new creative gameshows and how it just grabbed the market
on its lanch itself).

Posted By: vishal.sahay
Date Posted: 17/Nov/2006 at 3:06pm

Could anyone plz tell me how many shares will i get when the cmpany restructures it business. Plz tell me if anyone is holding 100 shares what is the proportion of shares one will recieve.

-------------
Vishal

Date Posted: 17/Nov/2006 at 6:11pm
someone told me that for every 100 shares of Zee held one will get 100 shares of ZTL (Global Content Business), 100 shares of WWIL, 137 shares of Zee News Ltd, 230 shares of ASEL. Could anyone confirm this plz?

-------------
Vishal

Posted By: tyler_durden
Date Posted: 20/Nov/2006 at 6:52pm
buy it at dips its a good buy.

Posted By: ankit18
Date Posted: 22/Nov/2006 at 12:37pm
Please somebody do the sum of parts valuation of Zee Telefilms.

-------------
Markets are never wrong. Opinions are!!!

Date Posted: 22/Nov/2006 at 12:39pm
Management does not give out details  and also things are very sketchy here but SOP should be greater then current value.

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Date Posted: 25/Nov/2006 at 10:21am

Basantjee,

Zee seems to be moving the TV18 way, both in terms of price movements and demerging strategy. Do you see a greater story unfolding here?

Date Posted: 25/Nov/2006 at 10:36am
Yes, but the story in Zee is of value unlocking only,  the valuation is extremely rich to be categorised as a multibagger. It has already started to move up since we have talked about it.

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Posted By: chic_1978
Date Posted: 06/Dec/2006 at 7:25pm
Hi Basantjee

Zee moving down from 380 levels to 350. Seems like going from weaker hands to stronger ones's. (Operators)

Does it looks worth buying at these levels to play on demerger story ???? I sense 400/- before the demerger .

What do u  feel SIR ????

-------------
happy & wise investing

Date Posted: 06/Dec/2006 at 8:39pm
I don't think it's to do only with the change of hands, I think the way this script is moving, there is a lot of speculative trading going on this counter

-------------
There are two times in a man's life when he should not speculate-when he can't afford it and when he can-Happy investing!

Posted By: India_Bull
Date Posted: 06/Dec/2006 at 9:15pm

Yeah , looks there is speulative trading going on but think 400 is a obvious target before demerger..

-------------
India_Bull forever Bull !
www.kapilcomedynights.com

Posted By: vnstks
Date Posted: 08/Dec/2006 at 12:48pm
What is Record Date for Demerger?

Date Posted: 09/Dec/2006 at 3:56pm
I think its 18th December, Basantjee can u please confirm the same & ur views on Zee before demerger ?? Worth buying ?

-------------
happy & wise investing

Date Posted: 09/Dec/2006 at 4:34pm
i think whatever the demerger it is going to happen in december it will be half process as it is yet to get approval for two its subsidaries. Plz correct me if i am wrong

-------------
Vishal

Date Posted: 09/Dec/2006 at 5:42pm
Should be sometime in late jan - these demergers go through court approval and we all know how our judiciary works.

-------------

Posted By: nikhil090
Date Posted: 09/Dec/2006 at 7:10pm
Will Zee also be delisted like TV 18 case or will it remain listed and the other entities will start trading later? Any idea

Date Posted: 09/Dec/2006 at 8:32pm
Besides the demerger, Zee is exibiting another similarity with TV 18, in that it is also exibiting the same high volatality that TV 18 exibited before it's delisting...

-------------
There are two times in a man's life when he should not speculate-when he can't afford it and when he can-Happy investing!

Date Posted: 11/Dec/2006 at 6:59pm
BasantZEE
ZEE moving backwards from 370/- to 315/-
All those playing demerger story are royally trapped ....
Huge F&O positions squared today ....

Do you feel its worth investing at these levels on same story.

I somehow feel it will bounce back strongly with the market ...

-------------
happy & wise investing

Date Posted: 11/Dec/2006 at 7:10pm

We started discussing zee at Rs 320 odd so the ones who have been trapped are the people who buy when the stock goes up - nothing to complaint there!

-------------

Date Posted: 11/Dec/2006 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by catcall

I don't think it's to do only with the change of hands, I think the way this script is moving, there is a lot of speculative trading going on this counter

recall my previous post as quoted above on this counter..... It seemed from the way the stock was moving that a lot of short term speculative  F&O positions being built up on this stock. If you are a trader( i am not), then 300 should be a good support level and should bounce back from these levels before the demerger actually occures.. Happy trading!

-------------

Date Posted: 11/Dec/2006 at 9:22pm
Zee fell because they lost the cricket broadcast rights to ESPN - Star. AT least that is one solid explanation I was able to think of!

-------------

Date Posted: 11/Dec/2006 at 9:55pm

But should that be the reason for this steep a fall? Atleast one thing is proved from the latest cricket broadcast rights. Zee is not bidding insensibly and is not willing to pay any price for the rights. I will consider that to be a little positive for company as a whole. The value unlocking arguments are still there as much as they were earlier. Zee remains a good play with moderate management in the high growth entertainment industry.

Basantjee, Can you let us know anything about the past dealings of the management of the company, which makes you doubtful about their quality/intent?

Date Posted: 11/Dec/2006 at 8:05am

They financed the company's money to the operator (KP) for jacking up the share price. Guess that says it all but as you said it is good that they are bidding with their thinking caps on this time.

-------------

Date Posted: 14/Dec/2006 at 9:41pm
Sir,

Will it be possible for you to know give any outlook on demerged entity of Zee as the company has given the outlook for its demerged entity of business? Pls try to give some valuationsas it would be of great help.Thanks

-------------
Vishal

Posted By: PrashantS
Date Posted: 14/Dec/2006 at 11:34pm
Zee Telefilms unveils share allotment plan on demerger
13 December 2006

Zee Telefilms Ltd (ZTL) has clarified the modalities of the restructuring of its news business and cable business for the benefit of its shareholders.

Subhash Chandra, Chairman, stated, "In keeping with its philosophy of building long term shareholder value, the Board of Zee had decided to restructure the various businesses. This would strengthen long term business prospects of each individual business, by providing focused management attention. From December 18, the Company would start trading as the demerged entity (to be renamed Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd) and two new companies would start their journey as independently listed entities. Though the business of both Wire & Wireless India Ltd (WWIL) and Zee News Ltd (ZNL) was earlier part of the Company, they would be able to unlock greater shareholder value as independent companies."

Zee Telefilms scheme of demerger

The scheme of arrangement had proposed demerging assets and liabilities of the following businesses:

• Cable distribution undertaking
  • News and regional broadcasting undertaking
  • Direct Consumer business undertaking

The date for the demerger is March 31, 2006, for the cable undertaking and the news and regional undertaking, while for the direct consumer business, the appointed date is April 01, 2006.

The company has already received approval of its demerger scheme by the Bombay High Court for the demerger of the cable undertaking and news and regional undertaking. The process of getting approval for the demerger of direct consumer undertaking is underway and is expected soon.

New business units
After the businesses are hived-off in to individual companies, shareholders of Zee would get shares in the four separate companies, which would be independently listed on stock exchanges. They are:

Zee Telefilms Ltd (to be renamed Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd (ZEEL), with 900 employees and revenues of Rs1,050 crore in FY2006

• ZEEL includes the global broadcasting business of the company, excluding the news and regional language channels
  • The channels in ZEEL include Zee TV, Zee Cinema, Zee Sports, Zee Music, Zee Smile, Zee Jagran, Zee Premiere, Zee Classic, Zee Action, Zee Studio, Zee Cafe and Zee Trendz
  • ZEEL includes the international broadcasting business of Zee in USA, Europe, Africa, Middle East and in Asia Pacific
  • It includes investments in Zee Turner India Ltd, ETC Networks Ltd and Ten Sports channel

.Zee News Ltd (ZNL), with over 900 employees, accounted for revenues of Rs200 crore in FY 2006

• ZNL includes the broadcasting business of Zee Telefilms Ltd for the news and regional language channels
  • The channels in ZNL include Zee News, Zee Business, Zee Marathi, Zee Bangla, Zee Punjabi, Zee Gujarati, Zee Telugu, Zee Kannada and 24 Ghante
  • It also supplies content to the international broadcasting business of Zee in USA, Europe, Africa, Middle East and in Asia Pacific

Wire and Wireless India Ltd (WWIL) accounted for revenues of Rs150 crore in FY 2006. Revenues of WWIL are expected to grow rapidly in the coming years due to digitisation of cable and acquisition of last-mile connectivity

• WWIL includes the cable distribution business of Zee Telefilms, which was earlier under Siticable Network Ltd. WWIL is the largest multi system operator (MSO) in the country and has a connectivity of 6.7 million homes.
  • WWIL operates 52 headends in 35 cities across the country. It has seven regional offices and over 500 employees.
  • WWIL is embarking on a project of converting the analogue cable homes in India to digital cable. It plans to expand from current 35 cities to 66 cities in the next two years.

ASC Enterprises Ltd, to be renamed Dish TV India Ltd, accounted for revenues of Rs80 crore in FY 2006 and has over 800 employees.

• Dish includes the direct to home satellite broadcasting business, which was the first DTH operator in India and currently the largest with 1.6 million subscribers.
  • Dish has revolutionized television viewing in India through its high quality digital service delivered directly to consumers' homes. It provides 160 digital channels and also offers many value added services to its consumers like electronic programme guide, parental lock facility, ability to record programmes, gaming channels, movies on demand, etc. It is expected to face competition from TataSky and MTNL's IPTV services

Share swap:
According to a communiqué to the stock exchanges, the company said that after the demerger shareholder with 100 shares in Zee Telefilms on the record date would receive:

• 100 shares in ZEEL along with
  • 137 shares in demerged ZNL. Subsequently, ZNL would reduce its share capital by 67 per cent and therefore, 100 shares in Zee Telefilms would translate into net 45 shares in ZNL, implying effective shareholding of 80 per cent
  • 50 shares in demerged WWIL, implying effective shareholding of 100 per cent
  • 230 shares in demerged ASC Enterprises Ltd (Dish). Subsequently, Dish would reduce its share capital by 75 per cent, which implies that 100 share of Zee Telefilms would translate into net 57 shares in Dish, implying effective shareholding of 57 per cent.

What shareholders get
Shareholders in the demerged company would continue to hold the same number of shares as they currently hold in Zee Telefilms.

In addition to that, they would receive separate shares in three demerged entities, which will allow them to participate individually as well as collectively in the growth area of cable distribution, direct-to-home broadcasting, and news and regional channels.

The shares of the resulting companies would be listed on the stock exchanges in India, where Zee's shares are currently listed, thus providing liquidity to all shareholders.

Highlights:

• The appointed date for the demerger is March 31, 2006 and the scheme has become effective on November 22, 2006
  • Zee Telefilms had earlier announced the book closure date (from 24 December to 28 December, 2006) for determining eligibility for issuance of equity shares (consequent to the scheme of arrangement) by ZNL and WWIL
  • Shareholders of the company would receive 45 shares of ZNL and 50 shares of WWIL for every 100 shares held in the company.
  • Both companies would be listed independently, after relevant approvals from the stock exchange. Listing is likely in January 2007
  • Demerged ZTL (including the direct consumer business undertaking) would continue to trade on the stock exchanges.
  • A separate record date would be announced for the demerger of direct consumer business of ZTL into ASC Enterprises Ltd, to be renamed Dish TV India Ltd (Dish).

Posted By: RAKESH
Date Posted: 15/Dec/2006 at 5:33pm

will the sum parts will be higher than todays close

Date Posted: 15/Dec/2006 at 5:41pm
Should be, though I have not researched it thorougly.All future positions were cut today so that would have had an overhang on the stock price in the cash market.

-------------

Date Posted: 15/Dec/2006 at 6:20pm
When it relists, will it come directly in F&O?

Posted By: vijinat
Date Posted: 15/Dec/2006 at 7:04pm
I expect the
price to be relisted at around Rs. 250/- on Monday.

Date Posted: 15/Dec/2006 at 7:11pm
Have a look at Subhash Chandra's interview in CNBC. http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/news/business/subhashchandrazeetelefilms/entdishtvrevenuestocrossrs2000crzee/market/stocks/article/256663

The guy is talking big numbers.. If they deliver those, then this stock will be steady compounder from here on also - 30-35% return possible. But will they be able to deliver?
Basantjee, Would it be possible to give a 2nd chance to Subhash Chandra?

Date Posted: 15/Dec/2006 at 7:20pm
220 is a good price to enter this scrip

Date Posted: 15/Dec/2006 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by nikhil090

Have a look at Subhash Chandra's interview in CNBC. http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/news/business/subhashchandrazeetelefilms/entdishtvrevenuestocrossrs2000crzee/market/stocks/article/256663

The guy is talking big numbers.. If they deliver those, then this stock will be steady compounder from here on also - 30-35% return possible. But will they be able to deliver?
Basantjee, Would it be possible to give a 2nd chance to Subhash Chandra?

In all the fields cricket, politics, movies we could give second chance but in business I  personally do not own it though over the next 3-4 years it should really benefit also RJ is interested but though that could be reason to buy but not enough to get convinced.

-------------

Date Posted: 15/Dec/2006 at 12:07pm
Why would RJbe interested in this media scrip.......or has he already taken a stake basantji

Date Posted: 15/Dec/2006 at 12:35pm
No details on this but I hear from fairly reliable people that he has been into it.

-------------

Posted By: psimajin
Date Posted: 16/Dec/2006 at 12:07pm
One thing I dont understand is SUN TV has market cap of 9,114.15 Cr to Zee's 15,975.85 Cr.
I can only make out from this is that ZEE is very much under valued. RJ cant miss it

Date Posted: 16/Dec/2006 at 4:01pm
Relatively market cap looks cheap but some of our south indian members can vouch for that but I am told there every one watches the SUn at night! No competition nothing also Zee inspite of its strong brand is yet to translate that into the bottomline but if it lists at Rs 230 it should be agood buy but not the best one.

-------------

Date Posted: 16/Dec/2006 at 6:26pm
Also SUn Tv is targeting viewers in the 4 states (mostly) and these 4 states are the most vibrant part of the economy right now. It is a very strong regional play - which is more than my international media companies complete territory. I understand that it also reaches people in Gulf and else where internationally. The kind of operating and NPM that they enjoy will bear testimony to this fact. Their OPM is atleast 75%.. :)

Date Posted: 16/Dec/2006 at 6:29pm
Sun is a political play basantji......in the shrot term it could be a good play...theminute the Cheief minister dies in TN ...andMiss Jaya ji takes over .it is dooms day for Suntv.....as she will would like to promotye her own channel..Jaya TV.........so that makes life difficult ............and also the pricing of SUn was contreversial and on of the agendas during the elections in Tamil Nadu

Date Posted: 17/Dec/2006 at 11:02am
Basantji can you help us with the demerged form of Zee....does it contain the DTH with it....?

Date Posted: 17/Dec/2006 at 11:59am
Yes, from what I heard the demerged Zee carries the DTH but I am not 100% sure on this.

-------------

Date Posted: 18/Dec/2006 at 1:15pm
so  need t see that ...as they are going all out on that...and DTH could be huge....but the question is how much of it wil be allotted....toit.......after the demerger...........in March

Posted By: investor
Date Posted: 18/Dec/2006 at 1:45pm
According to icici's research report on the demerger play, fair value for the
newly listed ZEE scrip is 204. They have given a SELL on it.

Posted By: psimajin
Date Posted: 18/Dec/2006 at 1:47pm

It wont go below 250 unless there is huge crash.

Posted By: omshivaya
Date Posted: 18/Dec/2006 at 3:31am

Anyone interested in Zee, may read this(I dont own it personally):

Ent, Dish TV revenues to cross Rs 2,000 cr: Zee
/india/newsarticle/news_inside.css -

Zee has taken a bit of knock today, 2.5% down because today is the last day when it trades in its current form. All F&O contracts in Zee expired today and on Monday, there will be fresh contracts with the demerged form of Zee.

Zee Entertainment Ltd is the stock that will trade on Monday and that will not include their wire and wireless business, which is essentially Siti Cable; neither will it include Zee News. Subhash Chandra, Chairman of Zee Telefilms explains how the stock should be valued now starting next week.

Subhash Chandra of http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/stockpricequote/mediaentertainment/zeetelefilms/11/42/pricechartquote/marketprice/ZT - Zee Telefilms informs that Zee News currently has about Rs 200 crore on the revenue side and Rs 40 crore of profits. Over the next 5 years, Chandra expects revenues of Zee News to surge above Rs 1,000 crore, while profit to increase to Rs 250 crore.

According to him, WWIL topline is seen at Rs 500 crore for FY07. He anticipates to have a strategic investor for WWIL over the next 12 months. He expects Zee Entertainment and Dish TV revenues at over Rs 2,000 crore for FY07.

Excerpts of CNBC-TV18's exclusive interview with Subhash Chandra:

Q: What are your expected revenues for this current year for Zee News and what kind of profits would you expect?

A: Zee News’ existing business will have about close to Rs 200 crore of revenues and about Rs 40 crore of profits. Though there are some new business entities, which are getting into Zee News like Zee Kannada and Zee Telugu, which were recent launches, there would be certain losses because of those new initiatives. But if you look at five year horizon of this company, it should cross Rs 1000 crore of revenue and consequently about Rs 250 crore of profits.

Q: Is Rs 40 crore of profit, the net profit or is it the EBITDA level that you are talking about?

A: It is EBITDA and PBT. There is not much of a difference.

Q: What about WWIL, how have you valued it? What sort of addition do you expect to see in terms of subscribers and how would that translate into a financial performance?

A: As regards to WWIL, we were earlier serving 7 million homes but we were getting paid only for 1 million homes. So this business was really not making any profits.

Now, since we have reorganized this business to go directly into the homes with set top boxes and digitization of the cable assets, that will result into initial investments and customer acquisitions, we are paying money for the last mile cable operator acquisitions.

So though the topline is expected to be Rs 500-600 crore in the coming year, it will be in losses for the next two years.

: What is the plan for this side of the business. Are you going to look at increased LCO (Local Cable Operators), MSO (Multi System Operators) acquisition or are you even open to some sort of financial or strategic investor entering this side of the business in specific?

A: We would definitely enter into some of kind of acquisitions of last mile of cable operators. There would be only strategic acquisitions of MSOs because going forward, this business of MSOs is going to vanish. It will not be a viable business sitting as a MSO in between the broadcaster and the last mile cable operators.

We are talking to a number of strategic investors. But as we know that this business is still a very murky business, probably we would see the foreign strategic investors coming in the next 12 months from now.

Q: So how many homes do you expect to monetise out of this 7 million under the new formats of digitization, direct taxes etc? Give us some global examples of how this could be valued because the way homes are subscribed or monetised in India is very different from how they are monetised globally?

A: Our plan is from the current one million paid subscribers, we will reach to about 15 million subscribers by 2011. If one looks at the comparable economies, the monetisation by capital markets is anywhere between USD 300-400 per home.

Q: But they are very different revenues coming in from those paying customers, don’t they?

A: Yes, the revenues will be directly coming into WWIL from the customer’s homes.

Q: Give us a status check on what is happening with the bread and butter of the business, with Zee Entertainment, both in terms of where you stand by way of market share. How much do you hold in the top time slots and are they are looking to pump more money into that side of the business?

A: The Zee Network, comprising of 25 channels, controls about 20% eyeballs. We are the Number One in terms of the overall eyeballs as a network. The mandate to the respective CEOs, which is in this case, there are six business units in two companies. First is general entertainment in Hindi language and English language and sports as one group. The second group is the eastern and western regional language channels.

The third group is the southern language channels. Fourth is the news and business side of the business. Fifth group is the modernization of all these groups into the international markets outside India and sixth group in these two companies is the digital media and convergence, which will look at exploiting the content created by these four respective groups into the newer form of distribution, which maybe IPTV, Mobile TV or any other format. So they should outgrow to about 35% YoY for the next five years as against the industry growth to be seen at 22-25%.

Q: Post demerger, although Dish TV is not going out yet, ex-Zee news and ex-WWIL, what would Zee deliver in terms of revenue and profits in FY07 to value the core residual business?

A: FY07 will probably be higher than consolidated FY06 numbers into these two entities.

Q: So will it be about Rs 1,100 crore?

A: It will be Rs 2,000 crore roughly for FY07 for both Dist TV and Zee Entertainment Enterprises.

Q: Are you a bit disappointed that neither Zee nor Ten Sports won the ICC bid?

A: No, I am not disappointed at all and I wish good luck to my colleagues, ESPN Star Sports.

Q: What is your view on the bid that finally won because you told us less than it would be USD 750 million but we are told you went on to bid USD 850 million?

A: Yes, in totality our bid was USD 800 and with some conditions it was USD 850.

Q: You think it's possible to make money at USD 1.1 billion- what’s your view?

A: It is very difficult, not at that level. As a shareholder I will expect the business to give us atleast 20-25% EBITDA margins. At these kind of prices it is difficult, and that is the price you have to pay as a broadcaster because you never invested any money in any other sports other than cricket. We think we should be better off. In any case there are other boards, which are now coming for renewal. We have Ten Sports with us already and we will bid for other boards aswell.

Q: Some reports suggest that you might be looking at film production and distribution again- is that true? Under which basket or category would that fall then?

A: That is going to be done by our movie exhibition business, not by Zee entities. It got mixed up probably in that, the E-City Entertainment, which is in exhibition business. They are going into backward integration of movie production and releases.

Source : Moneycontrol.com

-------------
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it

Posted By: tigershark
Date Posted: 19/Dec/2006 at 4:11pm
basant bhai,whats your view on WWIL of zee with cas and dth they are already bcoming agressive i see big adv by govt on cas.

-------------
understanding both the power of compound return and the difficulty getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things

Date Posted: 19/Dec/2006 at 4:24pm
I am very very bullish on CAS and DTH. About these two companies it all depends on what valuations they list at. Tv 18 is best suited to play this new theme and that is what makes me so bullish on it.

-------------

Date Posted: 19/Dec/2006 at 4:53pm
basantji how many shares i would be allotted if i hold 50zee shares..........

Date Posted: 04/Jan/2007 at 8:19pm
Zee plans for WWIL

Zee to invest Rs 300 cr in cable TV arm
Suveen K Sinha / Mumbai January 04, 2007
Mumbai-based media house, the Zee group, has lined up an investment of Rs 300 crore in its cable television services arm, Wire & Wireless India, earlier known as Siticable Network.

In the cable business, the group is connecting directly with subscribers by taking control of the last-mile connections and the investments are going into setting up and acquiring infrastructure.

It is looking to acquire cable operators as well as multi-system operators.

The company’s grouse is that it gets paid for only about a third of its over 7 million cable subscribers.

“WWIL is a high-investment operation. We have already invested Rs 150 crore in it during the restructuring. We will invest Rs 300 crore more in it,” group Chairman Subhash Chandra told Business Standard.

Both WWIL and Zee News, two of the four companies that have emerged out of Zee group’s restructuring last month, will get listed for trading at the stock exchanges early next week, most likely on Tuesday.

Of the other two, Zee Entertainment & Enterprise began trading on the bourses on December 18, while the fourth, Dish TV will be listed a little later, once the statutory approvals have been obtained from the Bombay High Court.

The new companies are being listed at both the main bourses – Bombay Stock Exchange and National Stock Exchange.

Chandra said WWIL, perceived as trailing the pack in Mumbai, had actually accounted for 75,000 set-top boxes in Mumbai out of the 150,000 installed in the new conditional access system environment being ushered into the city.

WWIL’s annual turnover is pegged at Rs 250-300 crore while that of Zee News is estimated at close to Rs 200 crore.

“Zee News, including the regional channels, is comfortably bigger than its rivals on the basis of the top line,” said Chandra.

Zee News, which has incorporated all of the group’s news broadcast businesses, competes with NDTV and TV18.

The paid-up equity capital of WWIL is Rs 23.97 crore while that of Zee News is Rs 21.72 crore.

The promoter group holds 44 per cent of the equity in WWIL, while 31 per cent is with foreign institutional investors, 9.5 per cent with domestic mutual funds and the rest with the public. In Zee News, the promoter group holds 54 per cent of the equity.

Of the rest, 25 per cent is with FIIs, 8 per cent with domestic mutual funds and the rest with the public.

Posted By: vnstks
Date Posted: 04/Jan/2007 at 10:26pm
WWIL is supposed to list on Jan 8th

Date Posted: 04/Jan/2007 at 11:37pm
if i am not wrong..this part will be under a loss for next two years

Date Posted: 04/Jan/2007 at 9:18am
Look at the potential which is huge.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Jan/2007 at 5:05pm
Could someone tell about the expected listing price of WWIL and Zee News. One can either buy or sell these stocks based on the price they start trading if we could know the price at which they can be said to be reasonably valued.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Jan/2007 at 5:33pm
WWIL willl set a trend no one knows what the price should be the normal convention could be to value it at US $ 500 per subscriber but since that too is not certain with subscribers opting out for DTH in large numbers it remains to be seen at what price WWIL should be listed.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Jan/2007 at 11:51pm
There must some ballpark figure for these 2 entities. Guys, whats your guess!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Jan/2007 at 8:46am
I think that actuals would be way away from the guess work because there are no established benchmarks. See what happened after the Infoedge IPO no one knew how to value these businesses also there would be a lot of churn from cable into DTH. We need to take that into account as well before evaluating WWIL.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Jan/2007 at 10:04am

Temasek has picked up 10% stake in Tata Sky for 250 cr valuing 5 month old tata sky at 2500 cr. Would Zee DTH get higher or lower value than Tata Sky?

Date Posted: 05/Jan/2007 at 10:08am
WWIL and Zee News shares have been credited in the demat account. Lets see what valuation do they get..

Date Posted: 05/Jan/2007 at 10:33am

Temasek has picked up 10% stake in Tata Sky for 250 cr valuing 5 month old tata sky at 2500 cr. Would Zee DTH get higher or lower value than Tata Sky?

Mind boggling numbers!!! Dish has almost 5 times more subscribers then Tata Sky but this difference wil narrow down. Obviously the placement would have taken Fy09 subscriber numbers into account.

-------------

Posted By: PKB2000
Date Posted: 06/Jan/2007 at 2:24pm

WWIL and Zee News shares have been credited in the demat account. Lets see what valuation do they get..
Thank you Nikhil for information.
yes I too have found them on my account.
I am also interested to see the listing of Zee business stock
(specifically). It will be one of its very specific type of stock!

-------------
I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

Date Posted: 06/Jan/2007 at 8:05pm
On the basis of the valuation of Tata Sky, can we hazard any guesses for zee DTH listing price? Out of 280/- price of Zee entertainment, my guess is, it will get 80/- . I am giving it a valuation of 3500-4000 cr.  Pure Entertainment Zee would be then at 200/- share. any comments.

Corrigendum: As ZEEL holds only 57% in Dish TV, even at a valuation 4000 cr for Dish TV, the value of ZEEL would reduce by @Rs 50 only instead of 80 which I mentioned earlier. Sorry for the mistake.

Date Posted: 06/Jan/2007 at 8:21pm
Looks quite possible but Entertainment Zee at Rs 10,000 crores should be reasonable.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/Jan/2007 at 9:10pm
Wouldn't WWIL part as valuable as the DTH part? Infact I feel that it should be more valuable then DTH because the kind of efforts it takes to lay down cables and all is phenomenol. It would be very difficult to replicate this business. It is like laying oil pipelines, which have huge incumbent advantage.

Date Posted: 06/Jan/2007 at 10:08pm
Can somone throw some light on WWIL & DTH forthe next 5 years

Date Posted: 06/Jan/2007 at 7:01am

Wouldn't WWIL part as valuable as the DTH part? Infact I feel that it should be more valuable then DTH because the kind of efforts it takes to lay down cables and all is phenomenol. It would be very difficult to replicate this business. It is like laying oil pipelines, which have huge incumbent advantage.

It does take a higher capital outlay to lay down cable lines but as a consumer I am not bothered with how much my distributor has spent. I would switch to DTH and that is in a real state of flux because once the black out starts people want a connection at the earliest and the early experience in Kolkata has shown that this switching happens towards satellite TV since cable is unable to provide boxes at the earliest.

Now market grapewine has it that the DTH operators did not favour the early roll out of CAS because their product was not ready hence the delay in rol out in 2003. SInce Tata Sky is now ready with its product it too is pressing for digitization. 

-------------

Date Posted: 06/Jan/2007 at 8:52am
For installing Dish TV also, they will need the dish to be installed. Do they not face any supply chain issue for adequate number of dishes?
There have to be some adv/disadv of DTH vs Cable. Can anybody highlight major diff and adv/disadv of that?

Date Posted: 06/Jan/2007 at 11:10am
Some tid bits on Zee

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-826685,curpg-1.cms - http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-826685,curpg-1.cms

http://content.msn.co.in/News/Business/businessBS_151206_1248.htm - http://content.msn.co.in/News/Business/businessBS_151206_1248.htm

Date Posted: 06/Jan/2007 at 11:26am
Have a look at DTH presentation at the link given.
http://www.zeetelevision.com/Pdf/Presentations/Dish_TV_%20Nov_2006.pdf - http://www.zeetelevision.com/Pdf/Presentations/Dish_TV_%20Nov_2006.pdf

This gives the overview of Zee DTH. It seems they are quite ahead of Tata - sky combination. The valuations may improve rapidly for this business once it lists and then keep on improving for the next 3 years.
Any comments??

Date Posted: 06/Jan/2007 at 11:39am
There seems atleast one benefit of Cable over DTH. That is, CAble may be able to offer the so called "congruence" of all the 3 requirements of customer i.e video/voice and data. DTH may not be able to offer this. Obviously we dont know when this will happen but there may be a slow shift towards this trend also.

Posted By: ramki830
Date Posted: 06/Jan/2007 at 11:51am

Interesting Nikhil... but the so called advantage of Cable over DTH (by way of being able to offer video-voice-data all thru one wire) is a double edged sword... it also means that Cable Cos will have competition from Telcos .. if Bharti can offer a Broadband cable to home for you to browse net, can they not offer TV signals for you to watch the Test Matches?

Of course, currently i think regulatory hurdles plus tech hurdles are there. Also the person incharge of whole thing in New Delhi (the minister of IT and Telecom) will have his personal self interest when framing regulations.

So, as of now, both Telcos offering TV broadcast and Cable Cos offering broadband internet are not happening... so i still feel DTH has the edge, atleast in next 12-18 months.

PS - Must also add that Cable TV in many parts of India is essentially run by local politicians/ruffians and people with rather undesirable background and people lacking skillsets to serve customers. DTH bypasses all of them and it directly speaks to the consumer. So, IMHO, DTH will be like Mobile Phones and Cable TV like LandLine phone.

Date Posted: 07/Jan/2007 at 12:02pm

On the basis of the valuation of Tata Sky, can we hazard any guesses for zee DTH listing price? Out of 280/- price of Zee entertainment, my guess is, it will get 80/- . I am giving it a valuation of 3500-4000 cr.  Pure Entertainment Zee would be then at 200/- share. any comments.

Also I forgot to indicate above that while Zee trades at Rs 200 the market would realise that it shall do an EPS of Rs 9 for Fy08 (DIsh is not contributing anything to the EPS now) so ZEE at 22 times Fy 08 would be cheap suddenly it would come to 30 times Fy 08 and DISH which does not contribute anything to the profit would continue to be valued at its market cap. Thus ZEE could and should see price appreciation.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/Jan/2007 at 12:04pm
I dont think the current wire which has been drawn by Telcos for Landline/broadband would be able to offer video as well. These people may have to go through either IPTV way or put new wires (which may not be economical). India is still a joint family/big family country, wherein many constituents would like to do different thing at same time. As long as Congruent cable does not interefere in using other features, it  may still take off - though slowly.
See India is a very big country with more than 220 mil households. Even cable HS are 65-70 million which leaves tremendous potential for its growth itself -as the prosperity of the population increases. So  if value is observed, there will be growth..  Even 1-2% extra tapping gives mind boggling numbers.

Date Posted: 07/Jan/2007 at 12:38pm
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/822095.cms - http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/822095.cms
One more article. Here Subhash Chandra is talking about raising money via equity sale in DTH and WWIL. Valuations of 4000 cr and 3000 cr respectively.

Date Posted: 07/Jan/2007 at 12:50pm
Some updates on settop box deployments

MSO sources said also that they assured that there are enough boxes. One representative said that his company's seeding is already 9,000 boxes a day. Incablenet representative Ashok Mansukhai said: "We have told Trai that our deployment would reach 10,000 boxes per day. We will be airlifting boxes from next week."

Wire & Wireless Ltd is also getting in additional boxes. "We have deployed 1.5 lakh boxes across the three metros over the past five days. We are going for airlifting of new boxes. By next week we will have 50,000 more boxes brought in, and by 31 January, we shall have additional 1.5 lakh boxes in position for deployment. This is apart from the 34,000 boxes awaiting clearance at Mumbai airport and another 12,500 boxes at Kolkata airport," said WWIL executive vice president Arvind Mohan.

Date Posted: 07/Jan/2007 at 1:08pm
FAQ's about DTH

http://www.indiantelevision.com/perspectives/y2k4/dth_faqs.htm - http://www.indiantelevision.com/perspectives/y2k4/dth_faqs.htm

Date Posted: 07/Jan/2007 at 1:15pm
http://www.indiantelevision.com/headlines/y2k6/dec/dec149.htm - http://www.indiantelevision.com/headlines/y2k6/dec/dec149.htm

The real challenge will be to get space in the satellite's transponders to start DTH services. But in any case, more competition for DTH. It is going to intensify significantly.

Date Posted: 07/Jan/2007 at 4:36pm
One more thing which I was just wondering.. currently the set-top box for cable and DTH providers are not interoperable , not within cable operators or even within DTH operators. This will create huge stickiness for the subscribers as no body would like to purchase another STB to access another DTH service or cable service. This would mean that the competition who are going to follow would have to make significantly better offers to gain market share.. This will benefit the incumbent players.

pls let me know if my understanding about Set top box interoperations is correct or not.  i.e if you have taken STB and disc from Tata Sky, with the same disc and STB would you be able to join Dish TV of Zee? Same question for Cable STB - Can we access Siticable with the same STB provided by Hathway?

Date Posted: 07/Jan/2007 at 4:49pm
Interesting article..

http://www.indiantelevision.com/ye2005/jayaraman_yearender05.htm - http://www.indiantelevision.com/ye2005/jayaraman_yearender05.htm

Date Posted: 07/Jan/2007 at 5:19pm
Well what i have heard is that DTH is gaining ground over CAS

Date Posted: 07/Jan/2007 at 6:18pm

Corrigendum: As ZEEL holds only 57% in Dish TV, even at a valuation 4000 cr for Dish TV, the value of ZEEL would reduce by @Rs 50 only instead of 80 which I mentioned earlier. Sorry for the mistake.

As the ZEEL share price may reduce by only Rs 50-55, the potential upside due to earnings as highlighted by Basant earlier would be lower.

Date Posted: 09/Jan/2007 at 4:45pm
WWIL and Zee News are listing tomorrow. Lets see whats the price tomorrow. 

-------------

Date Posted: 09/Jan/2007 at 9:48am
as per listing do u think one should hold...............

Date Posted: 09/Jan/2007 at 9:55am
In 3 years WWIL and DIsh could grow significantly from these levels. AT Rs 3000 crores (market cap) you are getting the largest cable provider in the country.I think HTMT at Rs 3000 crores in totality could also see some gains from these levels.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/Jan/2007 at 10:20am
wats the scope of zee news

Posted By: vivekkumar_in
Date Posted: 09/Jan/2007 at 10:56am
Basantji,
What is the approx CAGR you would estimate for WWIL for next 4-5  yrs?

-------------
Often we forget there's a company behind every stock,and there's only one reason why stocks go up. Companies go from doing poorly to doing well or small companies grow to large companies.
P Lynch

Date Posted: 09/Jan/2007 at 11:08am
40% plus because the whole industry is going through a transformation but the stock could languish a bit since profits will kick in from next year.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/Jan/2007 at 6:25pm
I am a little disappointed by zee news listing price. The company with all regional channels etc is getting valued at around 850-900 cr. It is half of NDTV.. Zee news has interesting regional channels which are quite profitable.. Lets see how the results come for this quarter..

Date Posted: 11/Jan/2007 at 7:25pm

Is there any possibility that ETC Networks gets merged with Zee Entertainment. Since Zee Entertainment holds 54% (approx) stake in ETC.

-------------
Vishal

Date Posted: 11/Jan/2007 at 10:59am
Originally posted by basant

I am very very bullish on CAS and DTH. About these two companies it all depends on what valuations they list at. Tv 18 is best suited to play this new theme and that is what makes me so bullish on it.

Basantji,
   TV18 is a Proxy play for CAS & DTH. i.e TV18 benefits out of CAS & DTH , as any other company like Sun TV would benefit. There are multiple other reasons why TV18 is attractive.

But to play directly into the boom due to CAS & DTH - Of companies like WWIL, Zee(DTH Part) or HTMT(Cable part) or Tata's Sky or any other company I am not aware of... that are direct benefitiary of CAS & DTH , which one would you choose ?

Is any of these worth looking into...  One of these companies could be the largest cable provider or Dish provider and can become a 'consumer monopoly' in future ...

Regards,
Vivek

-------------
Often we forget there's a company behind every stock,and there's only one reason why stocks go up. Companies go from doing poorly to doing well or small companies grow to large companies.
P Lynch

Date Posted: 11/Jan/2007 at 11:02am
But to play directly into the boom due to CAS & DTH - Of companies like WWIL, Zee(DTH Part) or HTMT(Cable part) or Tata's Sky or any other company I am not aware of... that are direct benefitiary of CAS & DTH , which one would you choose ?

Largest cable provider WWIL
Largest DTH service provovider: Dish Tv yet to be demerged from Zee (Should happen in Match)

-------------

Date Posted: 12/Jan/2007 at 8:01pm
sir what do u think of zee news is it a good buy at current levels

Date Posted: 12/Jan/2007 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by basant

Largest cable provider WWIL
Largest DTH service provovider: Dish Tv yet to be demerged from Zee (Should happen in Match)

Basantji,
  In that case is WWIL & ZEE(Dish) worth buying in now ? What do you see their potential as..

Majority of  TV viewer has to go with either one of them right ? So it is like a consumer monopoly.. moreover once the cables are laid WWIL has monopoly to raise prices  and is not a regulated industry..

In US cable companies are huge.. They raise prices  year after year & have more or less regional monopolies.. Can also be coupled with Cable Internet..

Do you think WWIL will grow like that exponentially  by 2011 ?

Regards,
Vivek

-------------
P Lynch

Date Posted: 12/Jan/2007 at 4:17am
Originally posted by RAKESH

sir what do u think of zee news is it a good buy at current levels

I don't think Zee News is something I would bet on. Its TAM ratings are low compared to TV18s or NDTVs..

Basantji - What is your take on this ?

-------------
P Lynch

Date Posted: 12/Jan/2007 at 7:12am
There are better bets then Zee News TV18 and NDTV come to mind just because the rpice is at Rs 30 it seems a bit attractive but we need to understand that hindi news is very crowded with most of the players making only normal profits the real kicker wil come from regional news and these regional channels but why not a GBN for that ?

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Jan/2007 at 7:49pm
The positive with Zee news is that it already has couple of regional news channels which are on air - Zee marathi, bangla, gujrati, punjabi etc. They will be getting around 50% of their revenues from these regional channels this year. GBN has to start the channels which will take some time.

Date Posted: 15/Jan/2007 at 1:52pm
Zee news has 9 channels on air currently. 8 of them are Pay. It is at a mcap of 650 cr. For FY07,the revenues would be in excess of 200 cr with profit at 20-21 cr, EPS of @1. With these parameters it is cheap.. But the point is that is No 2or 3 in most of the channels.. Will that lead to significant decline in subscription/advertising revenues ? any idea about how the ad/subscription pie divides between No 1,2 and 3??

Date Posted: 15/Jan/2007 at 1:56pm
http://www.zeetelevision.com/html/NewsCenter.asp?Content=124 - http://www.zeetelevision.com/html/NewsCenter.asp?Content=124
DTH business to be demerged and listed by end Feb.

Date Posted: 19/Jan/2007 at 11:59pm
The record date for Zee Demerger is 20 February.

-------------

Date Posted: 19/Jan/2007 at 8:59am
This should be interesting. I think post demerger of DISH Zee would be available at Rs 265 plus making DISH Tv shares a new year gift from Subhas Chandra.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window