Print Page | Close Window

HOV SERVICES

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Investment Ideas - Creating winning portfolios!
Forum Name: Stock Synopsis
Forum Discription: A bried discussion of companies on very specific matters. Normally this is the prelude for further research as always members would be discussing quality companies with good management only
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2918
Printed Date: 05/Jul/2024 at 11:19pm

Topic: HOV SERVICES
Posted By: hit2710
Subject: HOV SERVICES
Date Posted: 04/Aug/2010 at 10:03pm

HOV SERVICES  cmp 92

HOVS is one of the largest end-to-end BPO companies, providing healthcare, finance and accounting, e-content management, document lifecycle, presentment, HR assist, and strategic consulting services across key verticals such as BFSI, Healthcare, Government, Telco, Publishing, Retail, Commercial and Industrial Manufacturing industries.

The motto of the company is “Exceed Expectations”.

True to the word, the company exceeded expectations of shareholders on the downside in terms of share price.

Reason: It sold of its stake in various subsidiaries namely 100% Stake in Bay Area Credit Services, 100% interest in HOV AR Management Services, and 30% minority stake in TRAC Holdings to Rustic Canyon for a consideration of 12 Million usd.  In doing so the company effectively booked exceptional loss of 132 crores and hence reported a loss at net level in FY 10.

FINANCIALS

After all this mess clean-up, the company reported the following results for Q1 FY 11.

Sales    182 cr   vs 223 cr (decline in revenues is due to divestment of subsidiaries)

NP        17.64 cr  vs  12.27 cr  ( improvement in margins is evident)

Interest payment has reduced from 9.41 cr to 7.36 cr.

Quarterly EPS  is at 14.13.

Total outstanding shares are at 1.25 cr and total market cap is at around 115 crores.

Debt as on march 2010 was around 520 crores which is expected to go down.

Dividend declared during fy 10 was Rs 4.

Promoter holding is around 49%-- no pledging  (around 9% shares were re classified as non promoter from promoter category—hence q-on q reduction in promoter shareholding)

Company bought back around 63000 shares at an avg price of 32 during buyback which finished in Jan 2010.

INVESTMENT THEME:

If one were to annualise the quarterly eps of 14, we get an annualised EPS of around 56.  So we are surprised why the stock is available at a pe of roughly 2 and market cap to sales of around 0.15?   And that is where the dilemma occurs.

Sometimes we are faced with a situation which is just “too good to be true”.   In such situations, one begins to wonder if there are skeletons hidden in the cupboard waiting to come out.  I tried hard to find out whether there are any significant negatives in this company.  Except debt and the write off, I couldn’t find too much.

Currency fluctuations could impact earnings.

Technically, after recent run up to 115 in April 2010 from a low of 24, the stock is currently consolidating  between 80-100 since 2 months.

If the company continues with its performance and maintains the first quarter results going forward for next few quarters, there could be some rerating and good gains.

DIVIDENDS:

Company paid Rs 2 interim dividend in fy 10 and declared another Rs 2 final div for which record date is 21 aug.  After declaring the q1 fy 11 results, another Rs 2 interim dividend is declared for fy 11 for which record date is not yet declared.

Now it needs to be seen if the “Exceed Expectations” theme applies to the company on upside.

Acknowledgement :  This scrip has been brought to my notice by a senior TEDDIE, master . thanks sir.

disc:  I have a holding in this company. 

-------------
Stockmarket is a weird place. For every person who buys a stock there is a person who sells it and both think they are very smart.

Replies:
Posted By: Jaishrikrishna
Date Posted: 04/Aug/2010 at 10:11pm
Initially looks great, This has been a old reco. of RD, Lying low for a very long time, now since you have a position, i suppose, there will be instant, what i call it as "HIT EFFECT"

-------------
Don't Buy and Hold, Buy and Homework / Fish see the bait,but not the hook; Men see the profit, but not the peril.

Date Posted: 04/Aug/2010 at 10:25pm

Here are some updates suggested by master.

1. Debt position as on June30 2010 is net bank debt of 100.3 million dollars which gives d/e ratio of 1.3

2. Comfortable liquidity with DSO of 52 days.

Financials need to be looked in view of its consolidated results. Most of websites display standalone results and here it might provide a wrong picture.

-------------
Stockmarket is a weird place. For every person who buys a stock there is a person who sells it and both think they are very smart.

Posted By: master
Date Posted: 04/Aug/2010 at 11:50pm

Now that Hit sir has done the hard work of setting up a thread & story, I will add a few points, mostly negative, in the interest of more informed decision-making by members:

1. Promoters, in the past were involved with some firms in US, which ran into problems/legal disputes. To name a few, Bay Area Credit service, Interparm & Osicom .
  2. AR business arm which contributed about 17% to HOV's topline is gone, so revenue growth will have to be made up by other streams.
  3. EBIDTA margins of 17% and NPM of 9.6% is lower compared to few other companies in this space, probably because it's not into some of the high-end jobs.
  4. Q-o-q net profits declined by 10% in Q1-FY11.
  5. Business is not straightforward to understand, complex structure of subsidiaries, cross-country operations, forex issues etc.
  6. No brokerage report on this stock either side, at least I've not seen. (I'm calling this a negative since for a micro-cap, it can act as a basic information filter).
  7. No MF holding (I'm calling this a negative since it can be a hedge against unabated management action potentially).
  8. I feel markets would like to give this company a few more quarters to demonstrate its earnings record, before any re-rating is done.

Disclosure – I'm invested here recently.

-------------
Someone’s sitting in shade today because someone planted a tree long time ago.

Posted By: rapidriser
Date Posted: 04/Aug/2010 at 9:16am
Originally posted by hit2710

The motto of the company is “Exceed Expectations”.

True to the word, the company exceeded expectations of shareholders on the downside in terms of share price.

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

-------------
When all else is lost, the future still remains. - Christian Nestell Bovée

Posted By: genieinvestor
Date Posted: 05/Aug/2010 at 3:54pm
Why is the Rediff data showing the EPS as Rs. 2.34 for March 2010 year???

Date Posted: 05/Aug/2010 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by genieinvestor

Why is the Rediff data showing the EPS as Rs. 2.34 for March 2010 year???

You need to look at the consolidated figures. I mentioned earlier that most financial websites show standalone numbers. You can download results from bse or nse which give consolidated figures.

-------------

Posted By: nav_1996
Date Posted: 05/Aug/2010 at 7:36pm
I had researched this company when it was just around 60. I did not get answer to a key question.

Why would a company list in India when promoters are USA, customers are in USA and its manpower in in USA. Most probably because they could not meet SEC guidelines.

Date Posted: 05/Aug/2010 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by nav_1996

I had researched this company when it was just around 60. I did not get answer to a key question.

Why would a company list in India when promoters are USA, customers are in USA and its manpower in in USA. Most probably because they could not meet SEC guidelines.

I think the company was started with the name HANDS ON VENTURES way back in India and then probably started the BPO business. Not exactly sure about the chronology of events of the company. Maybe company website might provide u with answers or there might be some contact person who might answer these queries.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Aug/2010 at 8:31pm
Yes. I vaguely remember that.

I avoided as I had found whole strcuture too complex. Too many subsidaries. Indian listing with no obvious reason (got listed in 2006). I suspect that US owners have direct business dealings with its US subsidaries.

I would stick to 3i infotech at 5 PE with similar but more value added business and has more info available in
public domain.

Posted By: manish_okhade
Date Posted: 07/Aug/2010 at 11:15am
Hit sir,

Look at eClerx, its neat and clean and growing.

Beatiful thing about the company is the way IPO money is spent, its very cool and systematic manner no hurry no rush just grow slowly but steadliy. Pay dividents regularly...... 

HOV could be cheap but they do not offer anything unique, many established player are already doing the same business. It may turn out profitable but it looks gamble to me.

Date Posted: 21/Aug/2010 at 2:50pm
HOV Services among top BPO http://in.biz.yahoo.com/100814/139/baw43b.html - providers

-------------

Posted By: ashokmehta
Date Posted: 23/Aug/2010 at 12:54pm
SP Tulsiyan is strongly recommending to buy HOV to its clients via its paid website - i don't know why.

-------------
Make efficient use of time while investing hard earned money and make efficient use of money while spending valuable time.

Date Posted: 23/Aug/2010 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by ashokmehta

SP Tulsiyan is strongly recommending to buy HOV to its clients via its paid website - i don't know why.

Does that mean it's getting coverage now?

I don't think there is any MF/ institutional ownership as of now, except Merill which had some holding.

-------------

Date Posted: 21/Sep/2010 at 9:31pm
This is what i find interesting, now that it has moved up by about 50% in last 2 months, recommendations can be http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/stocks-views/hov-services-can-test-rs-200-tulsian_485830.html -

Anyhow, this one looks set to go places.

-------------

Date Posted: 28/Oct/2010 at 7:10pm
HOV services second quarter results:

Sales 187 cr    (Q1 fy 11 182 cr)
Net P 18.68 cr (Q1 fy 11 17.64 cr)

Half yearly eps at 29.09 per share.

Second interim dividend declared at Rs 2 per share which takes total interim dividend for year to Rs 4. Div date is around 3 nov 2010.

If it continues to clock similar run rate (and there seems to be no reason to doubt it) then full year eps could be in excess of 55-56 so effectively the valuation is at a PE of 2.5 for a BPO company with relatively stable revenues. Looks like a sitting duck.

-------------

Date Posted: 28/Oct/2010 at 11:02pm
  1. Results are on expected lines.
  2. Previous year numbers are not comparable due to sale of ARM division wef Jan-10.
  3. Interest outgo has q-o-q reduced sequentially.
  4. 2nd half should see volume growth with addition of one additional site each in China and Chennai.
  5. Would like to see how markets treat the stock over next 6 months.

-------------

Posted By: shadows
Date Posted: 03/Dec/2010 at 6:13am
hi hitesh, what is your call on this one , seems that foreign promoters are offloading staketo general public andalso price also moved to south direction.
do you hold this stock, if yes at what price . i hold this at 140 time to exit or averageout
thank you

Posted By: excel_monkey
Date Posted: 03/Dec/2010 at 7:35am
exactly
this one is too good to be true
it is a decent size company
not a single mutual fund invested in this one

Posted By: genieinvestor
Date Posted: 03/Dec/2010 at 9:59am
the company had Net margins of approx 38% last year. And the quarter results show the margins to be above 70%.
Firstly I dont understand how such a huge difference can crop up, and secondly what I dont understand is how can a BPO company have such huuuge margins. And by the way, these are standalone results.

The story changes entirely when you look at the consolidated results. (The results here refer to the numbers on BSE website). While standalone revenues show Rs 75 million, the consolidated revenues suddenly increase to Rs 8500 millions.

Either this is a very very shady company, or a highly undervalued investment. Only further analysis will bring out the true picture.

Date Posted: 04/Dec/2010 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by shadows

hi hitesh, what is your call on this one , seems that foreign promoters are offloading staketo general public andalso price also moved to south direction.
do you hold this stock, if yes at what price . i hold this at 140 time to exit or averageout
thank you

Any proof of foreign promoters offloading?

If you have read carefully the first post in this thread I had mentioned that some part of promoter holding has been re classified as non promoter holding and hence optically it looks as if promoter holding has come down.

Promoter selling in the market has to be disclosed within a stipulated time frame and I dont see any such disclosures.

Regarding my holding, I have been in this stock right from around 92 levels when the stock was put up in this synopsis. I intend to keep holding it because till date I have received Rs 4 as dividend in fy 11 and I expect to receive Rs 2 as dividend every quarter. If that is the case, then it suits me fine bcos at around 115, this would amount to Rs 8 in total dividend and a div yield of around 6.5 to 7% based on cmp and around 8.5-9% on my purchase price.

Plus as master put up the details earlier, the company seems to be on the growth path with establishment of new centres.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/Dec/2010 at 4:20pm

Any proof of foreign promoters offloading?

No, I thought if general public holding was up from 16% to 21% in 6 months thought that could be promoter sale.

Posted By: basant
Date Posted: 04/Dec/2010 at 4:27pm
They can also buy from institutional offloading. Check the promoter holdings.

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Date Posted: 04/Dec/2010 at 6:30pm

No, I thought if general public holding was up from 16% to 21% in 6 months thought that could be promoter sale.

You can download the q1 fy 11 results file from bseindia and look up the footnotes given below.According to note 6, beginning april 2010, around 9 lac shares have been reclassified from promoters to non promoters category and hence the fall in promoter holding.

-------------

Posted By: subu76
Date Posted: 04/Dec/2010 at 2:08am
Originally posted by excel_monkey

exactly
this one is too good to be true
it is a decent size company
not a single mutual fund invested in this one

One interesting aspect of this company is it's tax expense...
The standalone entity's tax payment was only 2 lakhs this quarter.
The consolidated entity paid only 1.3 cr tax over the last 6 months.
It's tax bill actually went down.

Posted By: excel_monkey
Date Posted: 04/Dec/2010 at 2:56am
I have suffered investing in Aftek
it was a KP company survived the IT carnage some like DSQ did not last
the company's cash was more than its market cap
P/E of 2 or 3 (same was the case with Hinduja also)
the cash was outside the country
actually it might be just a bogus entry in the balance sheet
and it became a penny stock
operators use extraordinary low valuations to attract budding warren buffets

Originally posted by subu76

Originally posted by excel_monkey

exactly this one is too good to be true it is a decent size company not a single mutual fund invested in this one

One interesting aspect of this company is it's tax expense...

The standalone entity's tax payment was only 2 lakhs this quarter.

The consolidated entity paid only 1.3 cr tax over the last 6 months.

It's tax bill actually went down.

Date Posted: 04/Dec/2010 at 3:40am
I think the relatively low tax expense might be due to some incentive programs related to them operating in rural areas (Read something about them generating jobs in rural areas somewhere)

Posted By: kushal.masand
Date Posted: 14/Jan/2011 at 5:34pm
this one is back to below cmp 100.........

Date Posted: 19/Jan/2011 at 10:34am
http://www.bseindia.com/stockinfo/anndet.aspx?newsid=8b53a85d-6eb8-4235-8822-91730ba48664¶m1=1 - board meeting on 27 jan 2011 for announcement of third quarter results and announcement of third interim dividend.

Company has already paid two interim dividends of Rs 2 each .

-------------

Posted By: commnman
Date Posted: 27/Jan/2011 at 2:36pm
...and the numbers out, not encouraging

Note: Comparisons are sequential Q-o-Q

Total Income DOWN 7.5% to 173.62 Cr from 187.62 Cr.
EBIDTA DOWN 11% to 29 Cr from 32.57 Cr.
NET Profit DOWN 28% to 13.4 Cr from 18.69 Cr.

EBIDTA margin is 16.7% V/s 17.36%
NET Pr margin is 7.72% V/s 9.96%

Employees costs as a %ge to Income is stable at 49.31% V/s 49.34%
Other expenditure to Income too is stable at 33.87% V/s 33.30%.
But Interest costs gone up by 20% to 7.59 Cr V/s 6.32 Cr which has hurt the EBIDTA and Profits.

-------------
main toh aam aadmi hun... jo sunta hoon wohi sach maanta hoon

Date Posted: 27/Jan/2011 at 2:46pm
third interim dividend of Rs 2 declared. The stock is currently available at a dividend yield of around 6% based on dividend declared till date. I expect another Rs 2 at declaration of march qtr results as well.

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Jan/2011 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by commnman

i think dividend cant stop it falling at least 5% tomorrow i hold this stock

Posted By: bitu1978
Date Posted: 27/Jan/2011 at 8:18pm

Originally posted by commnman

i think dividend cant stop it falling at least 5% tomorrow i hold this stock
Infact they should give more dividend after such dismal performance

Date Posted: 27/Jan/2011 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by bitu1978

Infact they should give more dividend after such dismal performance

bachhe ki jaan loge kya?

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Jan/2011 at 7:20am

bachhe ki jaan loge kya?

true doctor words hitbhai

Date Posted: 02/May/2011 at 8:23am
hiteshjee iam holding this for some time now[loss], what is your view on this now average/hold/wait.

please post technical chart

Date Posted: 02/May/2011 at 10:34am

hiteshjee iam holding this for some time now[loss], what is your view on this now average/hold/wait.
please post technical chart

HOV seems to be in short term uptrend. More momentum will be seen on sustaining above 107-108 levels.

Will post charts later.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/May/2011 at 8:48pm
From revenue growth standpoint, recent merger between one of its US subsidiaries HOV Services LLC and Sourcecorp Inc. is positive; combined entity to have revenue of USD 480 mn and debt of 625 mn.

Not enough details to make a definitive statement reg net impact on HOV balance sheet. Could be interesting.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/May/2011 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by master

From revenue growth standpoint, recent merger between one of its US subsidiaries HOV Services LLC and Sourcecorp Inc. is positive; combined entity to have revenue of USD 480 mn and debt of 625 mn.

Not enough details to make a definitive statement reg net impact on HOV balance sheet. Could be interesting.

The company seems to be indulging in some sort of financial gymnastics....

If a 480 mn revenue company takes up debt worth 625 cr doesn't it mean the company might go bankrupt?

(unless the debt is really long term or the company has very high profit margin which seems very unlikely for this sort of a marginal player)

Date Posted: 03/May/2011 at 12:15pm

If a 480 mn revenue company takes up debt worth 625 cr doesn't it mean the company might go bankrupt?

Repeating myself but need to point out again that here one needs to look at the consolidated financial statement.

Quarterly revenues are to the tune of around 170 crores. In fact 9M fy 11 revenues was at 543 crores and net profit was at 49 crores.

Plus they pay dividend of Rs 2 every quarter which amounts to around Rs 8 per share for full year.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/May/2011 at 12:40pm
Sorry Hitesh....Wow...This looks like a 2 PE stock then

Date Posted: 03/May/2011 at 8:26am

Repeating myself but need to point out again that here one needs to look at the consolidated financial statement.

Quarterly revenues are to the tune of around 170 crores. In fact 9M fy 11 revenues was at 543 crores and net profit was at 49 crores.

Plus they pay dividend of Rs 2 every quarter which amounts to around Rs 8 per share for full year.

Above merger is not for the listed company, so can't directly correlate. Listed HOV's effective holding in new entity may be 50% or so. Figures i quoted are USD mn and debt raised in US will be low interest; not enough details.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/May/2011 at 11:01am
hiteshjee can i enter at current levels, what the charts are saying for next six months for this. thanks

Date Posted: 11/May/2011 at 11:45am

hiteshjee can i enter at current levels, what the charts are saying for next six months for this. thanks

Why do u want to enter this one, when there are other good stories available?

-------------
Don't Buy and Hold, Buy and Homework / Fish see the bait,but not the hook; Men see the profit, but not the peril.

Posted By: kushal.masand
Date Posted: 12/May/2011 at 12:11pm
sirji kuch good stories batao na....
Embarrassed

Date Posted: 12/May/2011 at 12:11pm

This is a high risk high return stock. If you want to buy you can keep a stop loss of 79 to ur buy.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/May/2011 at 12:44pm
I had tried to understand this. Has very complex transactions to understand. My conclusion:
1. Listed in India to avoid stricter US laws. Promoters/Operations/Customers all are in US mostly.
2. Appears that company has related party(promoter owned entities) transactions in US

Date Posted: 12/May/2011 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by kushal.masand

sirji kuch good stories batao na....Embarrassed

Just type Hit2710 OR Basant OR Kulman, in the TED search engine, and read as many as threads possible, You ur self will get that answer

-------------

Posted By: rakeshmehta48
Date Posted: 29/May/2011 at 8:20pm
Risky bet because of promoter's backgroung.
Still company is trying to come back.
Good dividend every qtr. Yield is wonderful at 8/90

-------------
Fund Management is Most Important

Posted By: rakeshmehta48
Date Posted: 06/Jul/2011 at 11:35am
@hit2710
Any update on Hov

-------------
Fund Management is Most Important

Posted By: baba
Date Posted: 12/Aug/2011 at 2:59pm
hit bhai ,

any updates ?
crashed 40% in the last 2 months !!

-------------
A monthly investment of Rs 500 (Rs 17 per day) for 30 years @21%CAGR can create a wealth of Rs 1.5 crores. !!!

Posted By: baba
Date Posted: 12/Aug/2011 at 3:08pm
is it sensible to start nibblin hitesh bhai ?

-------------
A monthly investment of Rs 500 (Rs 17 per day) for 30 years @21%CAGR can create a wealth of Rs 1.5 crores. !!!

Date Posted: 06/Sep/2011 at 10:26am
seems that they skipped the dividend for the quarter , the announcement was due in july

thinking to sell this and buy PI Industries

Date Posted: 30/Oct/2011 at 12:37pm
IMHO it's best to avoid such companies whatever be the temptation.....

If one wants to buy 2 PE stocks during normal times then it's important to buy 8 or 10 for diversification

Date Posted: 30/Oct/2011 at 9:07pm

seems that they skipped the dividend for the quarter , the announcement was due in july

thinking to sell this and buy PI Industries
If you've been tracking developments in this company, after their JV with Sourcecorp effective May 2011, I don't think interim dividends were expected in July or anytime till they announce annual consolidated results (which may come around Feb-2012 now that they have CY as their FY). 

Hereafter, they will announce only standalone results on quarterly basis which reveal very little info.  In any case, this stock is not intended to be a dividend play, this is a very high risk stock with a complex corporate structure. They may still announce decent dividends we can't say but one should be holding it only if one's risk profile permits.

As a disclosure, I added more sometime back.

-------------

Date Posted: 30/Oct/2011 at 8:45am
I'd be careful about dubious IT companies in today's world of shell companies bringing in money from abroad.

Posted By: srisaurabh2000
Date Posted: 31/Oct/2011 at 1:13pm
Subuji, how do tech cos. like RS Software, Logix Microsystems, Solix Software, Allsec Technologies look to you?

Date Posted: 31/Oct/2011 at 4:00pm
Sorry don't know enough....I have some idea about Allsec which is a pure BPO.....

Posted By: KetanAdmirer
Date Posted: 29/Dec/2011 at 2:43pm
Any views on this stock now??? As the company will announce the full year consolidated results along with December 31, 2011 quarter results... The company paid Rs.8 dividend last year...

The financial year has been changed to 9 months ending December 31, 2011 to align with SourceHOV...

Note: I have a vested interest in this stock...

-------------
Cheers
Anand

Posted By: KetanAdmirer
Date Posted: 29/Dec/2011 at 2:45pm
Following were the key highlights of the company during the quarter.

The Merger: As of April 29, 2011 the Company completed merger of its indirect subsidiary HOV Services, LLC with SOURCECORP, Inc. The name of the combined entity is
SourceHOV, Inc. and is a Joint Venture (“JV”). The Company has a 27.2% financial interest in the JV.

The financial results of this JV for the three months period ended 30 September 2011 are:

Income increased by 12.3% to Rs. 608.63 Crs and EBIDTA increased by 21.7% to Rs. 118.89 Crs over the previous quarter ended June 30, 2011.

The financial results of the JV for the six months period ended 30 September 2011 are:
Income of Rs. 1,201.61 Crs and EBIDTA of Rs. 225.55 Crs.

Note: I have a vested interest in this stock...

-------------
Cheers
Anand

Print Page | Close Window