Print Page | Close Window

Symphony Comfort Systems - iPod of Cooler

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Investment Ideas - Creating winning portfolios!
Forum Name: Microcaps-When will value.be unlocked?
Forum Discription: Micro cap companies waiting for value unlocking. This is for the patient long term investor These companies are neglected by the markets and are waiting for a catalyst.
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2547
Printed Date: 26/Jun/2024 at 10:53pm

Topic: Symphony Comfort Systems - iPod of Cooler
Posted By: amitdip
Subject: Symphony Comfort Systems - iPod of Cooler
Date Posted: 01/Dec/2009 at 11:10am
Hi Guys,

I noticed this stock at 120 Rs, could not buy enough of it. It reminds me of Hawkins Cooker in 2002. Bought some at 125 and today some today at 152.90, thats 52 week high price.

A Lynch flower in the desert, while others are busy fighting over AC market. There are three other organised players in coolers Bajaj, Kenstar and Usha Lexus.

I look at it as Apple computers that designs aesthetic heaters and coolers.

Good
-----
- Brand Equity (as I have not seen TV ads for a decade but still remember from a decade old impression, I dont have TV at home)
- Atleast couple IIMA VPs or President in past and present
- Company lost its way in distribution and lost money, now set up its own distribution network
- Probably an Ethical company - does not reveal info loosely by phone (this you have to tell me more with your sensors)
- Promoters increased stake to 75
- Expanding overseas in over 30 countries, acquired this
http://www.impcollc.com/

Negative
---------
- Low dividend
- Illiquid
- Has run up 6 fold in last 12 months
- Has court case pending against Champion Cooler of US
http://www.rfcexpress.com/lawsuit.asp?id=49261

Cheers

Amit

Replies:
Date Posted: 01/Dec/2009 at 11:17am
Another positive, I am hoping its EPS to be 40 Rs this year and grow 25% atleast for a year or two.

Posted By: hit2710
Date Posted: 02/Dec/2009 at 12:56pm
Looks like a good company.

EPS for June 09 ending full year is around 40.

Interest cost for the year has increased from 7 lacs to 9 crores.

Symphony as a brand is well recognised.

-------------
Stockmarket is a weird place. For every person who buys a stock there is a person who sells it and both think they are very smart.

Posted By: PKB2000
Date Posted: 02/Dec/2009 at 12:58pm

I find it interesting because I wrote one line about this company in TED few years back and the market price that time was ~17. sometime it gives some confidence / pleasure on one's own analysis when that reacts positively in real!

-------------
I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

Date Posted: 02/Dec/2009 at 1:23pm
Hitesh, Can you please clarify how is it 9 crores or is that a typo

Cheers

Originally posted by hit2710

Looks like a good company.

EPS for June 09 ending full year is around 40.

Interest cost for the year has increased from 7 lacs to 9 crores.

Symphony as a brand is well recognised.

Posted By: Crimsonarcher
Date Posted: 02/Dec/2009 at 1:24pm
That would have been a 10 bagger for your PKB..but yeah its great and can still go up another 5-10 times from here.

Date Posted: 02/Dec/2009 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by amitdip

Hitesh, Can you please clarify how is it 9 crores or is that a typo

Cheers

Sorry, Its 91 lacs from 7 lacs. Most of results in bseindia are in millions, but I verified and this one is in lacs.

Blew it.
Regards,
Hitesh.

-------------
Stockmarket is a weird place. For every person who buys a stock there is a person who sells it and both think they are very smart.

Date Posted: 02/Dec/2009 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Crimsonarcher

That would have been a 10 bagger for your PKB..but yeah its great and can still go up another 5-10 times from here.
Right- what I think and wrong that I do. That has happened quite a few times including this one by not taking those stocks. Anyway, hopefully capital market will remain with me through out my life!

-------------
I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

Posted By: nikhil090
Date Posted: 02/Dec/2009 at 7:08pm

I bought this stock earlier. Since it is a brand and if they sustain their performance alongwith dividend, they can do well..

Date Posted: 02/Dec/2009 at 9:52am
Bought some more @ 161

This would have been a much larger company by now if not for the drain and depletion of 2000 - 2004 due to bad debts.

That is the only concern, sharing of wealth by virtue of dividends, if that rises each year then merely 'doing well' will become an understatement.

Date Posted: 02/Dec/2009 at 11:20am
Its got some terrific earnings per share. Hopefully it would keep improving YOY. I noticed a huge run up with Kwality Dairy and I think something like that cna happen in this stock to. Better to take some exposure.

Date Posted: 03/Dec/2009 at 12:39pm

Bought some more @ 161This would have been a much larger company by now if not for the drain and depletion of 2000 - 2004 due to bad debts.That is the only concern, sharing of wealth by virtue of dividends, if that rises each year then merely 'doing well' will become an understatement.

Hi,

What could be the risks with this company?
There are very few players with established brands in the space in which it operates and hence less chance of losing brand value. Financially seems okay.

Regards,
Hitesh.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/Dec/2009 at 1:04pm
Risks could be stock returning to 20 Rs in depressed sentiments, low dividend creates shaky ground in bad times.

Another risk could be mindless expansion overseas. I searched for their vacancies in naukri and other job portals, they are recruiting for mexico, middle east, australia and other hot climates.

Yet another risk could be Bajaj or Usha Lexus usurping #1 pole position. Good news is there is no foreign competition so we will see competition coming in March and June numbers every year. So far they are growing 50% plus topline for the past 4 years.

I have written to them to explain Wholly Owned Subsidiary in Singapore and divesting 51 stake in it, so risk is owners getting greedy and not sharing wealth. But they seem to be in business for ages, another Bakeri company is into construction, so appear well heeled.

I cant see a genious required to make such products. Positives outweigh at this point esp. if they gradually extend to other products too and importantly increase dividend even by 1-2 Rs each year, so next 1-2 years should guide us.

Regards

Amit

Date Posted: 09/Dec/2009 at 1:06pm
Reply to my query from Management
=========================================
Date: 05 December 2009

Mr. Amit Arora

Subject: A brief query
Dear Sir,

We refer to your email dated 30/11/2009 and furnish hereunder point wise details as desired by you.

a)   Reduction of holding in Singapore subsidiary to 49%.

Earlier, a company in Singapore was incorporated by Symphony Comfort Systems Ltd., as its 100% Wholly Owned subsidiary. The company was incorporated with a very small paid up capital base.

After some time, it was felt that the entire capital may not necessary to be held by Symphony Comfort Systems Ltd. and hence further issue of equity by the said company in Singapore was not fully subscribed by Symphony Comfort Systems Ltd. The balance portion of their capital was subscribed other entities. Therefore the stake of Symphony Comfort Systems Ltd. is now reduced to 49%.

b)   Intellectual Property matter in USA:-

As regards to the legal matter referred by you regarding the intellectual property in USA with Symphony-Impco as defendants and plaintiff: Champion cooler corporation, we state that Symphony Comfort Systems Ltd. has no relevance. The matter has been referred to our legal counsel to respond it suitably.

Thanking you,

For SYMPHONY COMFORT SYSTEMS LTD.

Chandrakant Gnadhi

Company Secretary

Posted By: $x$=$
Date Posted: 30/Dec/2009 at 9:03pm
three days of circuit.. the stock came to my notice...

Terrific company.. good brand recall.. no competition in organised sector... great financial.. cheap valuation.. promoter increased a stake...

Nice find Amitji.....

gosh i have to learn a lot from these ppl...

Date Posted: 31/Dec/2009 at 2:44pm
Another day at circuit...

Date Posted: 31/Dec/2009 at 3:42pm
On low volumes, meaning people aren't willing to sell or those holding are sleeping.

Date Posted: 31/Dec/2009 at 4:13pm
check out the delivery%.. it is close to 95%....ppl are siting tight with there holdings...
increased 75% promoter holding and low equity base are also reason for low volume

Damn i am only able to buy small quantity...

Date Posted: 31/Dec/2009 at 12:53pm
Its actually 99.63% today. Only 20 shares were traded.

High delivery is true for any illiquid share you name it.

Originally posted by $x$=$

check out the delivery%.. it is close to 95%....ppl are siting tight with there holdings... increased 75% promoter holding and low equity base are also reason for low volumeDamn i am only able to buy small quantity...

Date Posted: 01/Jan/2010 at 10:41pm

Its actually 99.63% today. Only 20 shares were traded.

High delivery is true for any illiquid share you name it.

20 shares were LTQ (ie last traded quantity

2741 shares were TTQ (ie total traded quantity)

source:
http://www.bseindia.com/stockreach/stockreach.htm?scripcd=517385

Date Posted: 01/Jan/2010 at 6:22am
Thanks for clarifying 20 being LTQ.

Infact only 10 shares were intra day traded, rest 2731 taken delivery

2731/2741 = 99.63%

Thats right, low floating stock with public is another reason, thats a qualitative filter in stock selection

Posted By: Rehan
Date Posted: 02/Jan/2010 at 6:59pm
I think it has a lot of catching up to do with its intrinsic value. I think Amit  made a wonderful find.

Date Posted: 02/Jan/2010 at 8:11pm
yeah amit, its an excellent find. the low volumes with high and growing earnings would definately keep pushing this up as the markets keep doing well. Its already a 6 bagger since march. i too picked up a little volume, though i want to increase exposure...the problem with stocks is it gets recognized suddenly and then people keep buying and the volumes are not available for you to buy...compact disc was kind of similar but because of bad management it is not picking up. anyway lets see how high it can go! Kwality dairy is doing somewhat similar.

Date Posted: 02/Jan/2010 at 7:10am
Kwality Dairy seems manipulated at P/E of 250,

sebi investigation:

http://www.sebi.gov.in/press/2009/2009368.html

Date Posted: 03/Jan/2010 at 10:12am
yeah i know about the kwality dairy investigation..and perhaps a bad example, but symphony is highly undervalued, so valuations can go up a lot for this too, and even then it would not appear very expensive. its upper circuit today too:)

Date Posted: 04/Jan/2010 at 1:45pm
bajaj electricals is at an eps of 51 and is growing at 25-30% at price of 875, this should so same or better eps and in next six months we'll know if it grows faster than bajaj or not.

think 2-3 years ahead, eps of 100-125, p/e of 15-20, share price 2500-3000, but probably very few will hold that long, maybe not even myself

yeah i know about the kwality dairy investigation..and perhaps a bad example, but symphony is highly undervalued, so valuations can go up a lot for this too, and even then it would not appear very expensive. its upper circuit today too:)

Date Posted: 04/Jan/2010 at 2:04pm

bajaj electricals is at an eps of 51 and is growing at 25-30% at price of 875, this should so same or better eps and in next six months we'll know if it grows faster than bajaj or not.

I guess Bajaj Electrical witnessed growth in EPS due to increase in project related revenue... which is not very stable revenue stream...

One thing i like about management is that its product focus and brand building....

First Cooler... then geysers.. now AC....

i mean promoters are not buyin real estate in somewhere in timbuktu.. because of  so called  "low valuation", which is mostly the case in micro cap companies.. Promoters are serious about growing their business...

Date Posted: 04/Jan/2010 at 2:14pm
Has company came out with its June 2009 AR ??

Date Posted: 04/Jan/2010 at 3:00pm
Yeah if the buying interest sustains then 2000-3000 is also possible...but a price of 800+ looks pretty much possible with existing earnings and growth in earnings. Today also there were all buyers but no sellers. Seems like a good bet to hold!.

Posted By: Khan
Date Posted: 04/Jan/2010 at 3:29pm
Today there are no sellers. When a time comes to sell there might be no buyers. These are perils of an illiquid stock.

-------------
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten

Date Posted: 04/Jan/2010 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Khan

Today there are no sellers. When a time comes to sell there might be no buyers. These are perils of an illiquid stock.

But that is the point..you need to only sell when you think there is no value left in the stock, else you can hold it for a very long time. Symphony is like that, with a proven earnings record. so irrespective of what happens i need not sell it, unless valuations are way off. It is just being recognised, so it would take a long time before valuations are really stretched..

Date Posted: 04/Jan/2010 at 10:38am

Has company came out with its June 2009 AR ??

They have said that they dispatched AR on 2nd of December, I checked with my brother in India who should have received it, he does not remember top of his head, will have to look at my mails.

Company told me they have/are sending dividend cheques which we will receive shortly - those who bought before 19th of December.

If you dont have AR June 09 then you can ring up and request for one, you can talk to Sudhir Kulkarni, he is a thorough gentleman or Company Secretary - Chandrakant Gandhi.

http://symphonycomfort.com/contactus.html

Regards

Amit

Date Posted: 05/Jan/2010 at 10:16pm

They have said that they dispatched AR on 2nd of December, I checked with my brother in India who should have received it, he does not remember top of his head, will have to look at my mails.

Any company management would be polite and helpful... if they get a call from abroad askin their financials.. thinkin an FII called up    

i did emailed(address given at BSE site)them my query quite a time back but haven't heard anythin uptill now... guess i need some NRI friends to get my question solved..     

Posted By: FutureBull
Date Posted: 05/Jan/2010 at 9:10am
it is down circuit today.. hope you guys are loading up on this

-------------
‘The market always does what it’s supposed to — BUT NEVER WHEN’.

Date Posted: 05/Jan/2010 at 10:26am
No $ mate,

Just send a reply to your email again with a line, "I am still waiting" in subject line, they will reply. Or ring up

Regards

Any company management would be polite and helpful... if they get a call from abroad askin their financials.. thinkin an FII called up    

i did emailed(address given at BSE site)them my query quite a time back but haven't heard anythin uptill now... guess i need some NRI friends to get my question solved..     

Date Posted: 05/Jan/2010 at 10:28am
Originally posted by FutureBull

it is down circuit today.. hope you guys are loading up on this

Loading up is not possible only 500 shares can be bought per day

Date Posted: 05/Jan/2010 at 11:00am

For me 500 shares would cost a bomb Cry
but still why only 500 shares?? is it something to do with category stock?

Date Posted: 05/Jan/2010 at 11:08am
Material wealth is only relative, earth is like a speck in space, so is our lifespan in eternity. Stay invested in nifty and your relative wealth will be 100s fold in decades.

Thats right, a SEBI link/document can clarify exactly, but you are right depending on category, some shares only 200 , some 500, but if volumes per day rises above a certain number then according to a certain /threshhold/formula one can buy some more

Regards

...but still why only 500 shares?? is it something to do with category stock?

Date Posted: 06/Jan/2010 at 12:33pm
just one dumb question..why was it not recognized by market earlier.. any visible reason?

-------------

Date Posted: 06/Jan/2010 at 12:54pm
:) partly as it was running losses and paid no dividends for several years due to bad debts in distribution network.

just one dumb question..why was it not recognized by market earlier.. any visible reason?

Date Posted: 06/Jan/2010 at 1:10pm

Most of the stocks discussed by us have the same precedent, not recognized by markets.

I usually see that most of the people buy only on someone's reco only without doing any research and hence market lags behind original research

-------------

Date Posted: 06/Jan/2010 at 1:15pm
so are all these issues resolved except the dividend one??.. that could come after sustained earnings i guess

-------------

Date Posted: 06/Jan/2010 at 1:53pm
I was too slow to react both on the upside and downside, though i hold a little bit. Will try to buy tomorrow if it falls again:)

Date Posted: 06/Jan/2010 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by hit2710

I usually see that most of the people buy only on someone's reco only without doing any research and hence market lags behind original research

Hmm.... If i infer it correctly.. first u need to buy your research and then u need to promote your research to get the fair value of your research... else you wont land up gettin fair of your research....

Date Posted: 07/Jan/2010 at 1:57pm
again in down circuit and volumes are very low but crossing 2 week avg.

-------------

Posted By: manish_okhade
Date Posted: 07/Jan/2010 at 6:16pm
What are the growth drivers? Why it should continue to increase EPS for years ahead?

Date Posted: 07/Jan/2010 at 8:55am
innovation,brands and global warming

-------------

Date Posted: 08/Jan/2010 at 12:01pm

innovation,brands and global warming

Thats what they call themselves too "artists of innovation"

http://jobs.monsterindia.com/details/7723287.html?sig=js-1-51558ba10491921e1989e23fdb9ccd1f-1

"While the responsibilities will cover the entire gamut of HR activities, some of the key areas of concern to the organization at the moment include recruitment at the local and international levels"

Date Posted: 08/Jan/2010 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by manish_okhade

What are the growth drivers? Why it should continue to increase EPS for years ahead?

Same as for any other consumer durables company in India.

In hindsight its already a hundred bagger from 2003, was languishing at 2-3 Rs.

Story can turn out to be better or worse, but my expectations are
Jan - June 2010 EPS 65 Rs
Jan - June 2011 EPS 90 Rs EPS
Jan - June 2012 EPS 125 Rs EPS,

and increase of dividends

if they dont turn out so we can sell in six months, conversely we can wait for six months till July 2010 to wait for results.

Date Posted: 08/Jan/2010 at 12:43pm
it looks they reprt good EPS in first 6 months only and later half is just time pass..

Amit, how about their international plans.. is it going good too?

-------------

Date Posted: 08/Jan/2010 at 1:00pm

[QUOTE=manish_okhade]
Story can turn out to be better or worse, but my expectations are
Jan - June 2010 EPS 65 Rs
Jan - June 2011 EPS 90 Rs EPS
Jan - June 2012 EPS 125 Rs EPS,

and increase of dividends

Good to see the forcast but it helps if you can share reasons for growth like:

1) Capacity expansion plan
2) Expansion of distribution n/w
3) Any tie-ups, foreign collaboration erc.
4) RnD - new product launch
5) Any focus on mktg budget/strategy

One can add more, i stated above just as an example of what details i am looking for before taking a stand.

Date Posted: 08/Jan/2010 at 3:25pm
Hi Manish,

Im afraid I dont know about any such precise expansion plans nor media statements from company. I trust you may get your specific answers by one the persons inside http://symphonycomfort.com/contactus.html. One can only see the effort company is making, then its just wait and watch, also this is no cant-miss-opportunity, one can always join the party later.

There is another small company that off late i am liking and accumulating, which has come out with media statements about expansion. Its a delhi based shoe/slippers company now intending to go nation wide. their website seems to be broken http://www.relaxofootwear.com/
it was with RJ too in year 2006-07

Regards

Date Posted: 09/Jan/2010 at 12:48pm
An old presentation

http://www.slideshare.net/symphonycomfort/corporate-presentation-2702837

Date Posted: 09/Jan/2010 at 4:24pm
Amit, thanks for the link!! no doubt this company has got great products and brands in place.. it is little surprising how could they falter in between...how has been corp. governance etc?

-------------

Date Posted: 11/Jan/2010 at 9:31am

There is another small company that off late i am liking and accumulating, which has come out with media statements about expansion. Its a delhi based shoe/slippers company now intending to go nation wide. their website seems to be broken http://www.relaxofootwear.com/

Amit, RJ i think also was invested in Metro Shoes of mumbai, pretty much for the same reason. maybe thats why he divested out of relaxo and into Metro. They are not public, but were planning to go nation wide too.

Symphony has halted its march, but thats the problem with small cap...unless markets are peaking, these can lose attention very quickly. Do you have any information on their growth plans? sorry wasn't able to download the presentation because of firewall restrictions, would look into it later.

Date Posted: 11/Jan/2010 at 11:21am

Amit, RJ i think also was invested in Metro Shoes of mumbai, pretty much for the same reason. maybe thats why he divested out of relaxo and into Metro. They are not public, but were planning to go nation wide too.

Symphony has halted its march, but thats the problem with small cap...unless markets are peaking, these can lose attention very quickly. Do you have any information on their growth plans? sorry wasn't able to download the presentation because of firewall restrictions, would look into it later.

Im pretty certain about expansion plans in Mexico, US, Gulf besides India - something of this nature should be mentioned in latest annual report too. Next six months should provide adequate signal whether expansion elevates synergy or not, and growth of heaters, mind you its summers in South Africa, Australia, NZ/southern hemisphere so if expansion works then December Qrts in future years should look good. But many a company returned back with defeat on foreign shores including Titan Industries.

Cheers

Date Posted: 11/Jan/2010 at 11:23am
If i remember correctly Walmart was trounced too in Germany and they packed up their bags..

Date Posted: 12/Jan/2010 at 11:54am
Hiring on in Mexico:

http://www.linkedin.com/companies/symphony-comfort-systems-limited

presence in 40+ countries, they are already making money and breaking even in several countries;

http://www.symphonycomfort.com/corporate_brochure.pdf

Date Posted: 13/Jan/2010 at 12:28pm
They roped in 12 year old COO of Kenstar Appliances ;)
six months back

http://www.naymz.com/rash_gargieya_2771742

I'll continue digging with unabated zeal...

Date Posted: 13/Jan/2010 at 12:41pm
mexico subsidiary website:

http://www.impco.com.mx/

country manager Iran   

http://www.timesjobs.com/candidate/JobDetailView.html?adId=a7canMBCSV1zpSvf+uAgZw==&bc=INT&searchName=inner&from=submit

Date Posted: 13/Jan/2010 at 12:46pm
Why Sept 09 qtr is so bad all of sudden? Its posting poor sale and loss?

http://www.religareonline.com/fundamental.asp?PageType=PROFILE&SearchString=symphony&Location - http://www.religareonline.com/fundamental.asp?PageType=PROFILE&SearchString=symphony&Location =

Date Posted: 13/Jan/2010 at 12:54pm

Why Sept 09 qtr is so bad all of sudden? Its posting poor sale and loss?

http://www.religareonline.com/fundamental.asp?PageType=PROFILE&SearchString=symphony&Location - http://www.religareonline.com/fundamental.asp?PageType=PROFILE&SearchString=symphony&Location =

Do you realize the main business of company ? selling air coolers mainly !

I am actually quite pleased with Sep Qrtr result, sales up 300% given that they are primarily selling coolers in India/Gulf which are in northern hemisphere; meaning warm together at same time; those who want to buy coolers will do so max by April/May/June; nobody wants to buy cooler in second half of year in northern hemisphere.

increased sales in september quarter means water heater establishing itself.

Date Posted: 13/Jan/2010 at 1:16pm

By this logic OCT-DEC should be even worse! Who will buy coolers in winters Smile?

Date Posted: 13/Jan/2010 at 1:22pm

By this logic OCT-DEC should be even worse! Who will buy coolers in winters Smile?

Its peak summers in australia/nz/south africa/south america in december so... plus water heaters can be required in india

QoQ comparison need to be done with previous years qrtr and not preceding qrtr in seasonal businesses

Date Posted: 13/Jan/2010 at 1:43pm
I think they are going nuts all over the place

http://www.alluaejobs.com/recruiter_symphony%20comfort%20systems%20ltd._17141.html

Manish,

another trivia for you which 99.9% people dont know; Magnetic compass is also for either northern or southern hemisphere; same compass does not work on both sides; or it has to be calibrated for balance

Cheers

Date Posted: 13/Jan/2010 at 10:38am
managed to buy just in time

looks like i bought just at resistance level..it is facing huge resistance

-------------

Date Posted: 19/Jan/2010 at 9:45am
yeah this one is doing really well...inspite of a slight correction its been rising very quickly..already up close to 80% in a month..it sure has a lot more potential to go up though!

Date Posted: 21/Jan/2010 at 2:17pm
no buyer at all!! this is an issue with illiquid counters

-------------

Date Posted: 21/Jan/2010 at 2:27pm

no buyer at all!! this is an issue with illiquid counters
Do u wish to sell them that u bought few days back?

-------------

Date Posted: 21/Jan/2010 at 2:33pm
no PKBji.. not at all .. just an observation

-------------

Date Posted: 21/Jan/2010 at 2:38pm

no PKBji.. not at all .. just an observation
Then can I be a buyer today!
Last I sold them at 24 rs!. It is really hard and tough mind is required to buy them in this price. But I believe after 5 days it can give more return than what LNT can give!

-------------

Date Posted: 21/Jan/2010 at 2:45pm
if it maintains current level of profitability it deserves MCap~ 500 Cr at least.. around 3X from here.

-------------

Date Posted: 21/Jan/2010 at 11:54pm
I think we need to contain our enthusiasm just for 6 more months before really thumping our chest.

If this growth continues or even slows down to 25% in topline/bottomline, then essentially what market is saying is, "Symphony Comfort is a piece of crap, it has no hope, I'll give it a P/E of only 3". Then we can enjoy the rest of the movie locked and loaded.

Cheers

Date Posted: 23/Jan/2010 at 5:20am
Symphony - the only evaporative air cooler with 5* ratings on this shopping site:

http://www.air-n-water.com/swamp-coolers-evaporative.htm

Their own website has changed too, it will be interesting to see how hard they are push commercial and industrial coolers to India, this capability came through overseas acquisition. It should make sense in certain types of factories because cost of running is 1/4th that of air conditioner.

Date Posted: 23/Jan/2010 at 5:47am
Commercial/Industrial application:

http://www.impcollc.com/pdfs/manuales/industrial_high_premium.pdf

Posted By: srisaurabh2000
Date Posted: 23/Jan/2010 at 8:57am

Symphony - the only evaporative air cooler with 5* ratings on this shopping site:

http://www.air-n-water.com/swamp-coolers-evaporative.htm

Their own website has changed too, it will be interesting to see how hard they are push commercial and industrial coolers to India, this capability came through overseas acquisition. It should make sense in certain types of factories because cost of running is 1/4th that of air conditioner.

And also are more environment friendly than an AC.

Date Posted: 24/Jan/2010 at 3:37am
At Berkshire Hathaway's 1999 annual meeting, he said: "If I had $10,000 to invest, I would probably focus on smaller companies because there would be a greater chance that something was overlooked in that arena."

http://www.fool.com/news/foth/2001/foth010710.htm

Date Posted: 27/Jan/2010 at 6:47pm
Dec'09 EPS 4.15 Vs 2.51 and half year by Dec'09 EPS at 3.34 Vs 0.52

-------------

Date Posted: 27/Jan/2010 at 11:31pm
Wonderful set of results there; upside surprise, I was expecting 25-30% growth, probably it is over low base so looks terrific:

Sales up 65%
Operating profit up 150%

Provision for income tax is on higher side affecting EPS.

EPS Growth 65%

Dec 09        Dec 08
Sales             25.67 Cr      15.48 Cr
O. Profit          3.78 Cr       1.51 Cr
EPS               4.51          2.51

Employee cost up 50%, expansion/hiring ongoing.

We can expect similar growth - finger crossed - in March and June translating to annualised EPS of 60-80 Rs this year and 80 - 100 Rs EPS next year

There will be short term selling pressure, because those who bought it in IPO, 1990s and Noughts are suddenly waking up to see it above 150Rs, reason is folks received a dividend cheque last week from Symphony after ages; some equate it as free money from winter clothes are finding certificates to sell !

Date Posted: 27/Jan/2010 at 11:43pm
It is heartening to looking at second page of results on BSE website; results have improved due to domestic sales primarily and not sales of more coolers overseas in southern hemisphere. Safe to assume that December quarter will break even in future and its 5* Sauna water heater is an entrenched candidate in consumer durables space.

Domestic sales at 22 Cr from 14 Cr
Exports up 3 Cr from 1 Cr

Date Posted: 28/Jan/2010 at 2:09pm
Yup.. amazing set of numbers.. but the only concern is rising interest cost...
Does anyone has AR09 for this....

i need to look at Cash Flows....

-------------
I buy businesses...

Date Posted: 28/Jan/2010 at 11:58pm

Yup.. amazing set of numbers.. but the only concern is rising interest cost...
Does anyone has AR09 for this....

i need to look at Cash Flows....

Its already there with my folks and I will get it on the 19th of Feb as they are coming here, then I can let you know; alternatively email [email protected] for this.

I looked at the interest cost too; in June 09 it was 77 lacs; this time around 40 something lacs; it could be for working capital/expansion, but looking at AR will clarify. With annual profits of 40 crores; 2-3 crores of interest is easily serviceable, but who does not like debt free, cash flow+ companies.

Cheers

Date Posted: 28/Jan/2010 at 10:04am
deleted

-------------
I buy businesses...

Date Posted: 29/Jan/2010 at 12:57pm
One FII acquired about 7000 shares in this stock between Sep 09 and Dec 09 quarter.

Can someone guide me as to how to find out about details of FIIs just as moneycontrol website shows MF holding for a script ?

Posted By: rapidriser
Date Posted: 29/Jan/2010 at 11:26pm

One FII acquired about 7000 shares in this stock between Sep 09 and Dec 09 quarter.

Can someone guide me as to how to find out about details of FIIs just as moneycontrol website shows MF holding for a script ?

If it is a Bulk Deal (min 0.5% of the share capital) or a Block Deal (minimum 5 lac shares or Rs. 5 crores), then it will be poated on NSE/BSE.

-------------
When all else is lost, the future still remains. - Christian Nestell Bovée

Date Posted: 29/Jan/2010 at 1:24am
Originally posted by rapidriser

If it is a Bulk Deal (min 0.5% of the share capital) or a Block Deal (minimum 5 lac shares or Rs. 5 crores), then it will be poated on NSE/BSE.

Thanks for the info rapid

Date Posted: 01/Feb/2010 at 3:02am
I am quite optimistic and both Symphony and Relaxo for EPS explosion, PE rerating, FII rush on the doors.

Why have small caps returned 13% in last 100 years and index stocks 2-3% less than that ? Its because of PE re-rating mainly, when small caps become mid and big caps or are taken over.

Buyers pay premium on survival and Funds buy only known companies.

Where there is honey, bees will come, when FIIs notice EPS of 100 Rs money will flow:

We should ask outselves this question first : What are the chances that Symphony Comfort and Relaxo will be bankrupt in 2015-2020 ?

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/features/brand-equity/Companies-waking-up-to-packaging-to-lure-customers/articleshow/5503226.cms

http://www.elephantdesign.com/DesktopModules/Elephant/EndUser/Elephant_NewsDetailPopUp.aspx?NewsId=51

http://www.elephantdesign.com/Default.aspx?TabID=96&CsID=59&CstID=13

http://www.elephantdesign.com/Default.aspx?TabID=96&CsID=47&CstID=13

http://www.elephantdesign.com/Default.aspx?TabID=96&CsID=48&CstID=13

Date Posted: 04/Feb/2010 at 11:33am
Amit, you have soft copy of the '09 annual report?

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Feb/2010 at 2:44pm

Amit, you have soft copy of the '09 annual report?

I'll get the hard copy on the 19th of this month and will type out salient points.

Date Posted: 05/Feb/2010 at 3:03pm
that's great!!

-------------

Date Posted: 08/Feb/2010 at 2:52am
http://www.hbjcapital.com/2010/02/symphony-comfort-systems-growing.html - http://www.hbjcapital.com/2010/02/symphony-comfort-systems-growing.html

I think they are not accounting for Water Heaters and importantly Industrial Cooling. In a super price sensitive country like India, factories will go for something costing 1/4th to 1/5th both in terms of Capex and Opex costs, i.e. if the factory nature allows evaporative cooling as opposed to AC. Industrial cooling icing on cake...

I guess re-rating will happen only if couple of FIIs enter. Hold hold and accumulate patiently

Cheers

Date Posted: 08/Feb/2010 at 3:43am
Re-rating can happen by MFs too. In above article, he is talking about 55 Cr Net Profit for year ending June 2010. EPS turns out to 78.5 Rs EPS.

Also, I think above article is a little harsh on Air Coolers, they will be around for a long time instead of predicting their premature demise. After all they are still sold in all major US supermarkets in 2010 ! a country with Per Capita of 40,000 USD, compare this to India's 1,000 USD per capita 

But Air Coolers being a no-growth with nary a new entrant just gives me a reason to dream in daytime.

Date Posted: 08/Feb/2010 at 10:27am
Amit

Any statistics available on the total aircooler market in India and the world over the last few years to understand the trend. I am surprised to know that cooler mkt is shrinking in absolute terms and giving way to ACs. I am sure in hot and dry areas like north india , coolers will be more effective than ACs besides being much cost effective. With improved purchasing power of the middle and lower middle class consumers , I think the market should only be expanding.

Date Posted: 08/Feb/2010 at 11:15am
Hi Rehan,

i am not sure about the size of aircooler market, but it can be anywhere between 2000 crore to 10,000 crore INR per annum, most of it in un-organised sector. I would consider it *not* dropping in Rs volumes per annum, a decent cooler is around 4 -7,000 Rs

i am fully aware of families with around 1 lac rs per month home take earnings also have a cooler in one of the rooms of the house and they can have ACs in other couple rooms. Some houses may have only ACs. So the trend is replacement towards ACs, but you have to realize what happens in high growth industries - intense comptetion. I would tend to agree with your theory that when rural india upgrades, it will move to decent coolers and not AC right away. Also, just as ceiling fan isnt dead so far, air cooler wont be.

We should congratulate ourselves that air cooler industry is "perceived" as a no-growth industry or worse still, 'dying' industry. I would be ecstatic if that is a widely held belief in industry, then no serious deep pocketed company will try to market/advertise/manufacture air cooler. Thats why i mentioned this company as metaphorically and literally Lynch flower in desert (cooler). Be sure of breezy days ahead (unless there is something about Management integrity I dont know so far )

Cheers

Date Posted: 08/Feb/2010 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Rehan

Amit

Any statistics available on the total aircooler market in India and the world over the last few years to understand the trend. I am surprised to know that cooler mkt is shrinking in absolute terms and giving way to ACs. I am sure in hot and dry areas like north india , coolers will be more effective than ACs besides being much cost effective. With improved purchasing power of the middle and lower middle class consumers , I think the market should only be expanding.

I think this is where our Analyst got data from

http://www.financialexpress.com/news/aircoolers-market-share-goes-cold/197951/

Price of cooler and AC will converge in couple of years and only 2-3 air cooler companies will survive, and they will hike price every year by 2-3%, that will make them Sees candy or so I like to dream ( its free ).

However in a price sensitive country as ours, OPEX cost will always favour value investors and users alike ;-)

Another article

http://www.financialexpress.com/news/kenstar-plans-major-export-thrust/99500/

Date Posted: 09/Feb/2010 at 10:55pm
Amit

Thanks for all the info.

If we see

http://www.financialexpress.com/news/aircoolers-market-share-goes-cold/197951/ - http://www.financialexpress.com/news/aircoolers-market-share-goes-cold/197951/  
organised sector market share is 10 % ( Year 2007) which increased to 20 % in 2009 as per
http://www.hbjcapital.com/2010/02/symphony-comfort-systems-growing.html - http://www.hbjcapital.com/2010/02/symphony-comfort-systems-growing.html  

this means a doubling for organised in 2 years flat .

I doubt that cooler market is shrinking though both the above articles say but without any data to support this shrinkage. I think we need more research on this to arrive at the truth. This may not be  easy as major chunk is with unorganised.
Just think of it , market shrinking and symphony shows more than 80 % growth YOY (2007- 43 cr, 2008- 75 Cr, 2009- 143 Cr) 

If the market expands where will these figures be.....

I continue to remain very bullish on this and would look for adding more

Date Posted: 09/Feb/2010 at 12:27pm
You're welcome Rehan

I am not too worried about growth of air cooler industry, I'd rather wish it is flat in volume terms and growing only in Rs coz of higher sale price each year. This prevents new entrants from considering this business.

Symphony will end up making supernormal profits in a no-growth industry, history is replete with examples of one or two strong player in decrepit industries that have returned diamonds back to their investors, several of them mentioned in Lynch's book. Then company can deploy cash in growing more and more capacity, buy small outfits and corner 50% chunk of cooler market in India. That is the hope.

But the cooler market may very well be growing. I doubt the veracity of above articles; if you read this link, http://www.financialexpress.com/news/kenstar-plans-major-export-thrust/99500/, it talks about Kenstar having 50% stake in cooler market. Other article does not even mention Kenstar and talks about Symphony and Bajaj as last two men standing.

The whole branded consumer space in India is on fire, any big drops over next few years in TTK, Hawkins, Bajaj Electricals just buy and forget

Date Posted: 09/Feb/2010 at 12:47pm
It seem between 2001 and 2005 Symphony squeezed the hell out of Kenstar and dethroned its Numero Uno position. Now Symphony has 50% market share in branded segment, this is 2004 report: http://www.blonnet.com/2004/03/20/stories/2004032001670600.htm, In 2004 branded segment sold 3 lac units, unorganised 10 lacs. Today the branded:unbranded ratio is same but market size of coolers has definitely increased. Unbranded segment is at a huge advantage due to avoidance of tax.

Kenstar had 50% share in 2001
http://www.financialexpress.com/news/kitchen-appliances-relaunches-kenstar-range-of-air-coolers/46630/

Besides Symphony recently got Kenstar COO, IIM A alumni and a decent management team, Achal Bakeri himself is an MBA from US ;-)

Posted By: Kautilya
Date Posted: 09/Feb/2010 at 8:34am
Just had a look a Symphony and following questions came up...

1. Any idea how much of the revenue is coming from coolers and how much is coming from Heaters,AC,etc., ?
2. In Dec 09, 21 Cr shown as "Other Expenses". What could this be?
3. BV is about 73. The Current Price of 186 it is quoting at 2.5x the BV, mainly because of good earnings. Any drop in earnings will bring down the stock price to the levels where it was languishing before. I understand that earnings estimate are expected to be good going ahead. Has the management given any guidance about this?

Thanks.

Date Posted: 09/Feb/2010 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Kautilya

Just had a look a Symphony and following questions came up...

1. Any idea how much of the revenue is coming from coolers and how much is coming from Heaters,AC,etc., ?
2. In Dec 09, 21 Cr shown as "Other Expenses". What could this be?
3. BV is about 73. The Current Price of 186 it is quoting at 2.5x the BV, mainly because of good earnings. Any drop in earnings will bring down the stock price to the levels where it was languishing before. I understand that earnings estimate are expected to be good going ahead. Has the management given any guidance about this?

Thanks.

I'll be able to answer #1 and #2 after I go thru AR09. All companies have Other expenses that does not fall in this concise reporting category.

BV for consumer businesses is not to be looked at seriously. Look at Titan Industries or Hawkins Cooker script with 14 - 20 times Book Value.
Correct metrics are ROE, ROCE and Cash Flows for these types of businesses.

Share was languishing at 2Rs in 2003. I doubt we will see it again  in our lifetime.

Cheers

Print Page | Close Window