Print Page | Close Window

Indian IPOs- New way to Financial Robbery

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Market Strategies
Forum Name: Our stocks. Buy hold or sell - The help ourselves Board
Forum Discription: What do we do with our stock portfolio.Ask any member and for a short opinion.If you know something about a particular stock do tell the forum.These will later be put in as seperate topics
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2497
Printed Date: 26/Jun/2024 at 12:01pm

Topic: Indian IPOs- New way to Financial Robbery
Posted By: Vivek Sukhani
Subject: Indian IPOs- New way to Financial Robbery
Date Posted: 01/Nov/2009 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Mohan

Wonder what makes TBZ come out with an IPO. 
Just one reason.....easily available money.

Sometimes I feel the markets should go down the drain to make it get rid of these 'nuisances'.

Ask this company if it has the balls to come out with an IPO if Sensex were to be at 50 p.c the current levels. Whats happening now is a blatant display of opportunism and greed. Someone really needs to burn down the offices of these investment bankers.......

-------------
Jai Guru!!!

Replies:
Posted By: basant
Date Posted: 01/Nov/2009 at 11:25am
One of the basic features  of capitalism is a free market and free entry and exit. No need to worry about the lambs if you are not one of them!

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Posted By: gobind
Date Posted: 02/Nov/2009 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Vivek Sukhani

Sometimes I feel the markets should go down the drain to make it get rid of these 'nuisances'.

Ask this company if it has the balls to come out with an IPO if Sensex were to be at 50 p.c the current levels. Whats happening now is a blatant display of opportunism and greed. Someone really needs to burn down the offices of these investment bankers.......

:-) vivek you seem to be angry at investment bankers for raising capital. i find it amazing that we blame them for doing their job. if you have gone through the DRHP of IPOs, as I am sure you have, you would be aware they list all the risk factors. now if institutions and investors are willing to buy that story, who are we to question them. by the way, I don't think all IPOs are bad. theoretically, at least, they are meant to leave some money on the table. i feel worried that most of the recent IPOs are trading in the red. this situation has to correct otherwise the IPO market will dry up. why would anyone apply for an IPO if they can buy the stock later for lesser.

Posted By: rajnsharma
Date Posted: 02/Nov/2009 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by gobind

:-) vivek you seem to be angry at investment bankers for raising capital. i find it amazing that we blame them for doing their job. if you have gone through the DRHP of IPOs, as I am sure you have, you would be aware they list all the risk factors. now if institutions and investors are willing to buy that story, who are we to question them. by the way, I don't think all IPOs are bad. theoretically, at least, they are meant to leave some money on the table. i feel worried that most of the recent IPOs are trading in the red. this situation has to correct otherwise the IPO market will dry up. why would anyone apply for an IPO if they can buy the stock later for lesser.

You are right Gobind....They are doing their job. A job which most of these guys are incapable...sorry capable of. They are not at all responsible for their statements...as they themselves don't know what's going to happen.

By the way I just remember one line about IPO from One Up On the wall Street..IPO -It's Probably Overpriced

Posted By: Vivek Sukhani
Date Posted: 02/Nov/2009 at 8:35am
Originally posted by gobind

Well, I just replied to a common question raised by a member.

However, all I want to say is that freedom shouldnt be treated as a licence. Freedom calls for responsible behaviour. Free action doesnt allow you to committ a crime.

Also, I agree with Samir. these posts should be moved to a separate thread altogether.

-------------
Jai Guru!!!

Posted By: Crimsonarcher
Date Posted: 13/Nov/2009 at 2:36pm
Now Cox & Kings is also coming out with an IPO to raise some 600Cr. Out of this almost 100Cr would be paid out to existing shareholders (who are nothing but institutions that bought in at much lower valuations pre-ipo, where retail doesn't even stand a chance). Again this is to rob peter to pay paul nothing else...if you invest in an IPO, better know why you are investing!.

Posted By: subu76
Date Posted: 13/Nov/2009 at 3:50pm
Based on this yahoo article  http://in.biz.yahoo.com/090619/137/batrj8.html - Link  

1. The desired valuation is $400 million.
2. Revenues in India is $26 million.

Assuming a 25% profit margin => earnings is 6.5 million.
The desired PE is more than 60. Smile

And some one in the firm is expecting it to be oversubscribed.
What he forgot to add "The Indians are suckers for paper"

Posted By: vaib
Date Posted: 14/Nov/2009 at 1:06am
Hedge funds ready for new boom. http://www.bloombergutv.com/experts-opinions/market-experts-column/664/hedge_funds_ready_for_new_boom.html

Posted By: TCSer
Date Posted: 01/Mar/2010 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by subu76

Based on this yahoo article  http://in.biz.yahoo.com/090619/137/batrj8.html - Link  

1. The desired valuation is $400 million.
2. Revenues in India is $26 million.

Assuming a 25% profit margin => earnings is 6.5 million.
The desired PE is more than 60. Smile

And some one in the firm is expecting it to be oversubscribed.
What he forgot to add "The Indians are suckers for paper"

Cox n Kings sector is turning out to be the sector of the coming 3-5 years.Just see the growth in this sector for next decade n see the price of this 250 year old company.

Posted By: subu76
Date Posted: 02/Mar/2010 at 2:27pm
TCSer Sir....i do agree you have a point....but having said that don't you feel a bit skeptical when a company which does not have much to show for years and years of operations suddenly

1. Grows like crazy for 1-2 years.
2. Demands a high price for last 2 year's growth and also gets it.
3. Projects the same growth will continue in future too.

This above argument is true for Jubilant Foods as well.

Cox n Kings is after all a very normal company in a very cyclical industry..the only differentiators here is price....For my family trips i decide between SOTC/Thomas Cook puely based on the price points offered by them....but then it's just me.

Posted By: bijoy_ajj
Date Posted: 02/May/2010 at 9:33pm
 Indian IPOs- New way to Financial Robbery--

so very true..  Heard mayajal is going for an IPO.. If i have a company and if i want to go for an ipo , then what are the criterias i need to have?.. Seems everyone is floating shares

Date Posted: 02/May/2010 at 11:04pm
SJVN LIMITED closing tomorrow is a good IPO. EVERYBODY APPLY.

Posted By: bihisello
Date Posted: 02/May/2010 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by TCSer

I read that dividend yield = 3.33%. Not bad.

What is bad is that we don't get benefit of new SEBI rule for shorter IPO procedure. That is for IPO after 1st May.

Posted By: bihisello
Date Posted: 02/May/2010 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by TCSer

Forgot to ask. Are you going for flip or for holding ?

Posted By: bijoy_ajj
Date Posted: 02/May/2010 at 12:24pm
Retail Investors are offered 5% discount on Issue price...

SJVNL has only one project which is in the operation leading to stagnant revenues over next two years.. The Rampur project is expected to commission by Sept 2013

I am not sure that it will do good in long term.. may be we can get 10% returns in the listing day itself..

Appreciate any comments on Jaypee Infratech IPO ..  Smile

Date Posted: 02/May/2010 at 1:03am
ITS EPS WILL BE 2.5 RS IN MARCH 12 N BV SHOULD BE AROUND 20 RS SO ONE SHOULD HOLD ONTO IT  TILL IT REACHES 35-40 RS.

JAYPEE INFRA IS AN AVOIDABLE IPO.

Posted By: studentoflife
Date Posted: 02/May/2010 at 6:14am
Some of the postings in this thread are self righteous.I too am guilty of the same in my ideas.....
So one question:
I agree some IPO's are so expensively priced and claims so inflated,it is like robbery.

But when the same institutional investor starts dumping his shares during the bear market or when the retail investor is ready to buy shares at P/E 6o in a bull market we are ready to buy or sell as per the opportunity.
We dont think twice before taking advantage of their ignorance.
Isnt this also unethical in some way? If not what is the difference?

One thing all will agree is that, we are able to make a fortune only when we buy too cheap and sell too expensive...

Posted By: Jaishrikrishna
Date Posted: 02/May/2010 at 8:42am
All IPO performances can be viewed
http://www.chittorgarh.com/ipo/ipo_perf_tracker.asp - HERE

-------------
Don't Buy and Hold, Buy and Homework / Fish see the bait,but not the hook; Men see the profit, but not the peril.

Date Posted: 02/May/2010 at 9:00am
New IPO Grey Mkts Premium Can be viewed, http://www.chittorgarh.com/newportal/IPO_Gray_Market_Premium.asp - HERE

-------------
Don't Buy and Hold, Buy and Homework / Fish see the bait,but not the hook; Men see the profit, but not the peril.

Posted By: kulman
Date Posted: 03/May/2010 at 12:30pm
New IPO Grey Mkts Premium Can be viewed, http://www.chittorgarh.com/newportal/IPO_Gray_Market_Premium.asp - HERE

The last time grey markets were in the headlines was during http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1301&KW=power&PN=1 - R-Power IPO of Jan 2008. Those were the days!

Date Posted: 03/May/2010 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by kulman

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">
The last time grey markets were in the headlines was during http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1301&KW=power&PN=1 - R-Power IPO of Jan 2008. Those were the days!

-------------

Posted By: kulman
Date Posted: 03/May/2010 at 5:30pm

The great Indian timers

Posted By: Mr. V
Date Posted: 06/May/2010 at 11:21pm
When is the next IPO from the Ambani Brothers ?

I will move to 100% cash and start writing call options.

Print Page | Close Window