Print Page | Close Window

Equity Research Analysts - Whats the job like?

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Careers
Forum Name: Build careers in Finance
Forum Discription: Share new course options and spread awareness about various programs for people willing to build a career in finance.,B'Com,BBA, BBM,CA,CS,ICWA,CFA,CFP,
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2348
Printed Date: 25/Jun/2024 at 10:27am

Topic: Equity Research Analysts - Whats the job like?
Posted By: prabhakarkudva
Subject: Equity Research Analysts - Whats the job like?
Date Posted: 27/Aug/2009 at 9:00am
Hi,

Are there any equity research analysts here on TED who work for some MF?  I am really interested to know what a day at work is like for these guys.

Also a few other questions:

1)How much freedom does one get to go about and cover a company one fancies?

2)Whats the money in the industry like?

3)How they cope with quarterly performance pressures?

4)What does it take to succeed in the industry where almost all MFs are closet indexers?

Would appreciate responses.

Thanks

-------------
Take your chances and keep them in a box until a quieter time.

Replies:
Posted By: smartcat
Date Posted: 28/Aug/2009 at 6:38pm
I don't think a research analyst in a MF will have quarterly performance pressures. It is the MF manager who is supposed to deliver.

Date Posted: 28/Aug/2009 at 6:42pm
And yet almost all research analysts aspire to become fund managers someday.Smile
I am actually weighing my options as to if i should take up equity research as a career or do something more worthwhile and invest my money on my own terms.Smile

-------------

Posted By: kulman
Date Posted: 28/Aug/2009 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by smartcat

I don't think a research analyst in a MF will have quarterly performance pressures. It is the MF manager who is supposed to deliver.

CT Munger opines: "The amount of brain power going into money management is a national scandal."

-------------
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards

Posted By: tigershark
Date Posted: 28/Aug/2009 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by prabhakarkudva

And yet almost all research analysts aspire to become fund managers someday.Smile
I am actually weighing my options as to if i should take up equity research as a career or do something more worthwhile and invest my money on my own terms.Smile
sucsess in life comes from keeping life simple and not complicating thingsWink

-------------
understanding both the power of compound return and the difficulty getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things

Posted By: subu76
Date Posted: 28/Aug/2009 at 11:00pm
Deleted

Posted By: new2investing
Date Posted: 11/Mar/2011 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by prabhakarkudva

Hi,

Are there any equity research analysts here on TED who work for some MF?  I am really interested to know what a day at work is like for these guys.

Also a few other questions:

1)How much freedom does one get to go about and cover a company one fancies?

2)Whats the money in the industry like?

3)How they cope with quarterly performance pressures?

4)What does it take to succeed in the industry where almost all MFs are closet indexers?

Would appreciate responses.

Thanks

Hi Teddies,
I am starting discussion on this forum again, as i would also like to know the answers to the questions asked by prabhakar earlier. I have some more questions to add to it:
1. What are the prospects of getting a job on the basis of CFA level 1, without any other background in Finance?
2. How much can a fresher expect in terms of salary?

hope that my questions will be answered soon, as always on TED Smile

-------------
Learner...

Posted By: barla
Date Posted: 11/Mar/2011 at 7:50pm
Have you done a CFA course. Or you just want to know how the market is doing.

I believe that banks pay incentives

Posted By: FutureBull
Date Posted: 11/Mar/2011 at 8:01pm
I would say if you are happy with your job .. don't think about shifting to ER. this is very difficult from what lot of people think. It involves huge amount of mundane work and experience under your belt to become an analyst worth its name. CFA certification is the best thing one can do as far as investment in urself goes. But do not expect any return before you complete all levels and get Charter which comes with 4 yrs of relevant exp. CFA does make you marketable but at the end of  the day its all about how do you present yourself . 

Salary is a very subjective issue and depends on the role and what do you bring to the table. Huge amount of the compensation is variable and annual hike on fixed part remains low. So a bad year in the market could throw some troubles if not managed well. in 2009 lots of ppl got almost no bonus/variable and it forms anything between 30-60% of your CTC. so come to the sector only if you think you can manage all these.

Working hrs too cross 12 hrs easily with good amount of pressure. Best thing to do is work in IT sector, go onsite for few yrs make some quick dollars and invest wisely which you can learn at TED and live peacefully. 

-------------
‘The market always does what it’s supposed to — BUT NEVER WHEN’.

Date Posted: 11/Mar/2011 at 8:15pm

well said. IT sector, earn on onsite project and invest wisely.

That is if you dont have money. If you have money then invest in yourself. it will keep you going.

Originally posted by FutureBull

I would say if you are happy with your job .. don't think about shifting to ER. this is very difficult from what lot of people think. It involves huge amount of mundane work and experience under your belt to become an analyst worth its name. CFA certification is the best thing one can do as far as investment in urself goes. But do not expect any return before you complete all levels and get Charter which comes with 4 yrs of relevant exp. CFA does make you marketable but at the end of  the day its all about how do you present yourself . 

Salary is a very subjective issue and depends on the role and what do you bring to the table. Huge amount of the compensation is variable and annual hike on fixed part remains low. So a bad year in the market could throw some troubles if not managed well. in 2009 lots of ppl got almost no bonus/variable and it forms anything between 30-60% of your CTC. so come to the sector only if you think you can manage all these.

Working hrs too cross 12 hrs easily with good amount of pressure. Best thing to do is work in IT sector, go onsite for few yrs make some quick dollars and invest wisely which you can learn at TED and live peacefully. 

Date Posted: 15/Mar/2011 at 6:50pm
@futureball ji- i am currently working in IT sector only and things here also are not as rosy as it seems from outside. Having worked for more than 3 years in IT, I have realized that its not my cup of tea.
Moreover investment is what fascinates me the most,not to say that I am not aware of all the struggle that you have mentioned about and i am ready to face it. 

having said that,
I would like to know what all needs to be done to get a job as ER and how difficult it would be for a person like me with no prior relevant experience in investing and only a CFA level 1 tag in the name of exposure to finance.

Hope to get the right guidance Smile

@barla ji- yes i have cleared CFA level 1 and planning to appear for Level 2 in june 2012. 

-------------
Learner...

Posted By: Kautilya
Date Posted: 15/Mar/2011 at 10:14pm
Anybody who is seriously considering getting into the business of stocks should read Fred Schwed's classic http://www.amazon.com/Where-Customers-Yachts-Street-Marketplace/dp/0471119784 - Where Are the Customers' Yachts?

-------------
My indecision is final.

Posted By: manish_okhade
Date Posted: 15/Mar/2011 at 11:50pm
Its a good job, buy 75% from Sensex and experiment half cooked wisdome with remaing 25% and in the last if portfolio fails then blame Sensex and if it clicks then claim credit that one's picks are marvelous. On top of that advise and preach gullible investors that think long term (how long nobody tells!). Just see how many MF Mgrs have delivered in past 3 years, 90% returns for past 3 CAGR is abysmally poor and benchmark is SENSEX so no risk to the profession!!!!

Whoever is serious on this profession must read the book Fooled by randomness to better understand.

Date Posted: 16/Mar/2011 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by new2investing

@futureball ji- i am currently working in IT sector only and things here also are not as rosy as it seems from outside. Having worked for more than 3 years in IT, I have realized that its not my cup of tea.
Moreover investment is what fascinates me the most,not to say that I am not aware of all the struggle that you have mentioned about and i am ready to face it. 

having said that,
I would like to know what all needs to be done to get a job as ER and how difficult it would be for a person like me with no prior relevant experience in investing and only a CFA level 1 tag in the name of exposure to finance.

Hope to get the right guidance Smile

@barla ji- yes i have cleared CFA level 1 and planning to appear for Level 2 in june 2012. 

Hi,

To start off i'd like to mention that it's best to work on what interests you.....

However, please note that not all finance jobs are sexy, not all of them have high salaries and not all entry points have great upside...... There is mind numbing hard work involved and often not on your own original ideas and it's often mundane in nature.....

Offcourse, a lot depends upon the job description you land up with.....

However, it's best to stick to a discipline which interests you given that one's career is like a marathon.......do consider financial analyst type of jobs in software as well given your background and the new skills you've acquired

Posted By: Crazy Horse
Date Posted: 16/Mar/2011 at 10:00pm
My 2 cents having been in ER for abt 8 years including sell side & buy side + PE. But mostly the descriptions are true of any other role in an investment bank as well.

Caution: V long post with no original conclusion!!

Sell side

You will be starting as an associate where you will be expected to bury yourself in excel models for about 2 years as someone's assistant. Serious grunt work...but thats same if you were in any other divisions in an investment bank.

In 2- 5 years you will get some stocks to cover. The stocks (and sometimes even the industry) will however not be in your control.

Then you will slowly start to realize that your job is 90% useless. Rarely, do your customers read your reports in full, and you will be covering the same stocks that are covered by atleast 10-15 other investment banks (basically banks are interested to cover only the largest and most liquid stocks unless there is investment banking fees involved).

You will thus come to the conclusion that you are effectively a glorified salesman taking pressure from ur customers, companies you track and the i banking dept of your firm

I worked for an MNC where some sort of chinese wall exists, but if you work for a tier 2 indian brokerage (tier 1 would be Kotak, IDFC, Enam etc) you are effectively selling investment banking. And if your research is for retail audience it is a fraud job!

Buy side & PE

If your passion is to really analyze stocks (esp with a long term, value oriented strategy) you may do better on the buy side.

But here again you will be driven by the need of mutual funds to perform on a quarterly basis (an anti-thesis to the value oriented strategy). Most mutual funds and hedgies are extremely short term oriented (Franklin and HDFC are exceptions to an extent though)

In PE, you will be able to do a bit more long term work, but 90% of your time will be spent making huge reports on companies just to reject those (the due process of making investment memo's), reading legal due diligence & other documentation etc etc all of which are mind-numbing experience!

Money
Generally sell side pays more than buy side. but even in sell side money made depends on whether you are in an MNC or a local firm (local firm pays much much less) and the hotness of your sector. I have known colleagues with abt 10 years of experience making more than 1 cr an year in the last bull run (some of the same guys made abt 20-30 lakhs 1-2 years later in the bear market) but also associates making less than 10 lakh (and this in Mumbai).

Buy side gives you less money but then pressure in sell side is so much more.

PE money is good...similar to sell side

Other items

Being in the industry, you (if you network hard enough) will become aware of hidden opportunities (legal ones i mean) before the rest of the world so you may be able to benefit from those

You may also come to know illegal (insider/front trading) info but you take them at your own risk; if you are inclined in those.

It is very rarely that you will be allowed to trade on the stocks that you are officially analyzing (policies vary from co to co but in general the classy firms have a very strict policies regarding this)

Conclusion:
ER is just like any other division in an investment bank involving mindless monotony in the first few years, attracting the most ambitious and smart minds for the payday that MAY come once you become a senior guy. It has nothing, REPEAT NOTHING, to do with serious long term value oriented investing approach.

My personal experience:

The work was mind-numbing in the initial few years but then became much better later on. You also get to be in close contact with some seriously brilliant minds (all frustrated but still v brilliant and ambitious) as well as the top management of companies. an un-paralleled experience i would say

You actually learn to analyze a company (which you dont learn in the b schools), learn to understand that most of the so called experts and management are bullshitting through their nose. A dose of cynicism that can do wonders to your own personal investment. You also get a lot of information sources and contacts.

I was also lucky to be in the right place at the right time (started out of college just as the bull market began) and received most of my compensation just as the bear market began.

I also had a v frugal lifestyle which is extremely imp. i knew 30 year old colleagues of mine who bought BMW's thinking the good times will roll on. I was saving like 70% of my post tax income because i knew i would soon be leaving this place. I was also lucky because i made a job change in 2008 with a multi year guaranteed bonus (it happened before the shit hit the fan and my new company was still expanding!!!) that contract proved v handy when things did melt down in the second half of 2008!!

The money in this field is extremely volatile so dont expand your lifestyle because you made so much last year. Next year you may make half or be jobless!

Advice

If you are just a B Tech with CFA level 1, and if you still want to enter this field, i would recommend an MBA (top 10) to get into the industry (at the MNC co's) meanwhile you can finish the CFA as well.

If your intent is to learn how to seriously invest, you can do that by completing the CFA, reading some good books recommended elsewhere in the forum. You dont need to waste 2 years for an mba and then another 3-4 years of mind numbing work and pray for good times!

If you hate your tech job and is looking for an industry change, then you may as well go for an MBA...mebbe you will get interested in finance or in marketing! But please do think twice..the grass always seems to be greener on the other side!

If you are just looking for fast money, it will depend on how much you are currently earning and how good you do in your MBA (and how good your school is) and how good the economy is etc etc...i would advise against fast money!

This is a field which attracts great minds but then burdens them with the most mundane tasks (sort of like a boot camp for armed forces). Not for everyone and certainly not purely for money or glamour (but then everyone including me goes there for the money n glamour)

Hope this helps!!!

-------------
The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out and meet it (Thucydides, Circa 460 BC - 400 BC)

Date Posted: 16/Mar/2011 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by Crazy Horse

Amazing to see you take the trouble to post a trully insider perspective. Thank You

Date Posted: 16/Mar/2011 at 10:14pm
I find that industry insiders are much more prone to trade on tips, so called insider information (which everyone on Dalal Street knows) and are often more cynical about how the stock market behaves than most people on TED are. Most folks are barred from trading but they usually use shadow accounts

Anyway, for a finance industry aspirant i'd imagine a slogging a few months to clear CAT and join one of the IIMs will be extremely advisable .... at a min it will help land a good job since Bombay is a tough and expensive city to live in

Date Posted: 16/Mar/2011 at 10:27pm
This was indeed a major issue till the 90's, i was told by my seniors. During those times it was even condoned (informally ofcourse) as a part of compensation!

But this has seriously been curbed in the last 10 years or so especially with the advent of MNC's who typically implement US level policies everywhere. I am sure there are still individual level black sheeps, but at an institutional level it is pretty much eradicated...but yeah the temptation will always remain...as can be seen by the behavior of Rajat Gupta in the US

-------------
The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out and meet it (Thucydides, Circa 460 BC - 400 BC)

Date Posted: 16/Mar/2011 at 10:52pm
I actually can't belive how stupid this dude Rajaratnam was. At a min you'd expect him to route the money to make it somewhat hard to detect.

Posted By: Kautilya
Date Posted: 16/Mar/2011 at 8:49am

ER is just like any other division in an investment bank involving mindless monotony in the first few years, attracting the most ambitious and smart minds for the payday that MAY come once you become a senior guy

Very true. Let me vent out my frustration here by saying that this applies to the IT side of it also :). I also found that you need to be self motivated and be ready to work long hours and weekends on a thankless job that would be completely devoid of any sorts of creativity or utilism.

-------------
My indecision is final.

Posted By: basant
Date Posted: 16/Mar/2011 at 9:47am
it is interesting but most of the IT guys that I have met or talked to seem very frustated that is inpite of the decent money these guys make!

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Posted By: values
Date Posted: 16/Mar/2011 at 9:54am
Obviously because they are not satisfied with what they get. They compare salaries of their peers from other companies and when the difference is seemingly high, they start getting frustrated...

Originally posted by basant

it is interesting but most of the IT guys that I have met or talked to seem very frustated that is inpite of the decent money these guys make!

-------------
Knowledge is power!

Posted By: anthro
Date Posted: 16/Mar/2011 at 11:42am

Few or no IT services company has bargaining power with client today -Contracts are heavily one sided in favour of client adding to huge stress to the IT employee - a tiny example - 5 or 10 % productivity gain to be given to client per year come what may which many of these firms meet by moving out employees from that project.

Posted By: manish_okhade
Date Posted: 16/Mar/2011 at 11:52am

I feel IT has the best thing that has happened to me. I am earnign decent money and getting international exposure and interacts and travels with differtent nationality. After IT only i realized that how national boundaries are diminishing.

I enjoyed well connected world better via phones, intenet and so on. I feel myself in a more mature position to see and benefit from recent technical happenings. Not all but many customers are asking and appreciating my developed solutions globally.

So overall its very satisfying but on another note Money is not a sole criteria to judge the anything. Once one is in a job (Naukri) then one is by default a Naukar should be ready bear some job releated pains. One should not feel jealous and frustrated by others, on the note Mr Ambani, Mr Adani and so on didn't study much but now providing jobs to best brains of the India so if one is extremely money minded then better switch to having the business not any Naukri rest follows automatically.

Posted By: itpro
Date Posted: 17/Mar/2011 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by anthro

Few or no IT services company has bargaining power with client today -Contracts are heavily one sided in favour of client adding to huge stress to the IT employee - a tiny example - 5 or 10 % productivity gain to be given to client per year come what may which many of these firms meet by moving out employees from that project.

Well said Anthro. To add to this there is a cost side pressure and push to use the junior members. That's the reason in one another post, I said that companies probably are reaching a stage where they don't know how to manage the mass.

Date Posted: 17/Mar/2011 at 1:20pm
Brilliant report that CrazyHorse,thanks!

-------------

Posted By: deepinsight
Date Posted: 17/Mar/2011 at 2:14pm
Crazy Horse:
Thats an excellent write-up. Thanks.
Captures very well the demands, aspirations, conflicts inherent in the field.

My 2 cents having been in ER for abt 8 years including sell side & buy side + PE. But mostly the descriptions are true of any other role in an investment bank as well.

If you are just looking for fast money, it will depend on how much you are currently earning and how good you do in your MBA (and how good your school is) and how good the economy is etc etc...i would advise against fast money!

This is a field which attracts great minds but then burdens them with the most mundane tasks (sort of like a boot camp for armed forces). Not for everyone and certainly not purely for money or glamour (but then everyone including me goes there for the money n glamour)

Hope this helps!!!

-------------
"Investing is simple, but not easy." - Warren Buffet

Date Posted: 17/Mar/2011 at 7:40pm
Crazy Horse : Thank you for this write up - for the great insights and for the mind to share this.

Anthro.

Sell side

You will be starting as an associate where you will be expected to bury yourself in excel models for about 2 years as someone's assistant. Serious grunt work...but thats same if you were in any other divisions in an investment bank.

In 2- 5 years you will get some stocks to cover. The stocks (and sometimes even the industry) will however not be in your control.

Then you will slowly start to realize that your job is 90% useless. Rarely, do your customers read your reports in full, and you will be covering the same stocks that are covered by atleast 10-15 other investment banks (basically banks are interested to cover only the largest and most liquid stocks unless there is investment banking fees involved).

You will thus come to the conclusion that you are effectively a glorified salesman taking pressure from ur customers, companies you track and the i banking dept of your firm

I worked for an MNC where some sort of chinese wall exists, but if you work for a tier 2 indian brokerage (tier 1 would be Kotak, IDFC, Enam etc) you are effectively selling investment banking. And if your research is for retail audience it is a fraud job!

Buy side & PE

If your passion is to really analyze stocks (esp with a long term, value oriented strategy) you may do better on the buy side.

But here again you will be driven by the need of mutual funds to perform on a quarterly basis (an anti-thesis to the value oriented strategy). Most mutual funds and hedgies are extremely short term oriented (Franklin and HDFC are exceptions to an extent though)

In PE, you will be able to do a bit more long term work, but 90% of your time will be spent making huge reports on companies just to reject those (the due process of making investment memo's), reading legal due diligence & other documentation etc etc all of which are mind-numbing experience!

Money
Generally sell side pays more than buy side. but even in sell side money made depends on whether you are in an MNC or a local firm (local firm pays much much less) and the hotness of your sector. I have known colleagues with abt 10 years of experience making more than 1 cr an year in the last bull run (some of the same guys made abt 20-30 lakhs 1-2 years later in the bear market) but also associates making less than 10 lakh (and this in Mumbai).

Buy side gives you less money but then pressure in sell side is so much more.

PE money is good...similar to sell side

Other items

Being in the industry, you (if you network hard enough) will become aware of hidden opportunities (legal ones i mean) before the rest of the world so you may be able to benefit from those

You may also come to know illegal (insider/front trading) info but you take them at your own risk; if you are inclined in those.

It is very rarely that you will be allowed to trade on the stocks that you are officially analyzing (policies vary from co to co but in general the classy firms have a very strict policies regarding this)

Conclusion:
ER is just like any other division in an investment bank involving mindless monotony in the first few years, attracting the most ambitious and smart minds for the payday that MAY come once you become a senior guy. It has nothing, REPEAT NOTHING, to do with serious long term value oriented investing approach.

My personal experience:

The work was mind-numbing in the initial few years but then became much better later on. You also get to be in close contact with some seriously brilliant minds (all frustrated but still v brilliant and ambitious) as well as the top management of companies. an un-paralleled experience i would say

You actually learn to analyze a company (which you dont learn in the b schools), learn to understand that most of the so called experts and management are bullshitting through their nose. A dose of cynicism that can do wonders to your own personal investment. You also get a lot of information sources and contacts.

I was also lucky to be in the right place at the right time (started out of college just as the bull market began) and received most of my compensation just as the bear market began.

I also had a v frugal lifestyle which is extremely imp. i knew 30 year old colleagues of mine who bought BMW's thinking the good times will roll on. I was saving like 70% of my post tax income because i knew i would soon be leaving this place. I was also lucky because i made a job change in 2008 with a multi year guaranteed bonus (it happened before the shit hit the fan and my new company was still expanding!!!) that contract proved v handy when things did melt down in the second half of 2008!!

The money in this field is extremely volatile so dont expand your lifestyle because you made so much last year. Next year you may make half or be jobless!

Advice

If you are just a B Tech with CFA level 1, and if you still want to enter this field, i would recommend an MBA (top 10) to get into the industry (at the MNC co's) meanwhile you can finish the CFA as well.

If your intent is to learn how to seriously invest, you can do that by completing the CFA, reading some good books recommended elsewhere in the forum. You dont need to waste 2 years for an mba and then another 3-4 years of mind numbing work and pray for good times!

If you hate your tech job and is looking for an industry change, then you may as well go for an MBA...mebbe you will get interested in finance or in marketing! But please do think twice..the grass always seems to be greener on the other side!

Hope this helps!!!

Date Posted: 17/Mar/2011 at 9:18pm
@crazyhorse - thanks a lot for taking the pain and patience of writing your experiences in detail. "If your intent is to learn how to seriously invest, you can do that by completing the CFA, reading some good books recommended elsewhere in the forum." These words of yours most accurately describe my state of mind.The reason behind my intent of moving into ER is to have some hands on experience of Equity analyses and hone up my skills as analyst.And I am pretty much confused as to what should i choose among the two :a settled life with decent pay in IT itself or take the pains of starting again as a fresher in the field of equity investing.
This post of your has surely helped eradicate some of my confusion but I am still not able to make up my mind.Will need to think a bit more.
Thanks again to all the teddies for starting and keeping alive this wonderful and helpful forum.

-------------
Learner...

Posted By: TCSer
Date Posted: 17/Mar/2011 at 9:52pm
Crazyhorse

Many thanks for the informed writeup.

Things appear to be the same in both IT & non IT company specially in initial years.But compensation wise IT services co cant afford to pay more as theirs is a linear model.Product cos are much better paymaster but opportunities in them are limited.

Best course is as Basant ji says stick to a job where work hours n pressure is bearable,go through TED n books carefully ,enhance your knowledge ,control your emotions & make your self financially independent.

Let your money work for you n you  enjoy life.

-------------
Share market is nothing but a game of temperament. Success mantra Right Price,Right Business,Patience, Conviction .Do not do panic buying or selling.It may be the only profession where inactivity pays

Date Posted: 17/Mar/2011 at 1:44am
never realised that equity research was such a dull and difficult job.

Date Posted: 17/Mar/2011 at 7:07am

Brilliant. Most of the 25 year olds lock themselves in buying a new car and a new home and spend the next several years paying back the cost of pre-poned luxory.

The investment nest should come first, a second hand car might do the trick and doesn't Buffett say that he would have been a bit more richer had he stayed on rent for his life time. I am not saying that one should not buy a home but maybe postpone it abit till you have made adecent amount of money locked away in good businesses.

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Date Posted: 17/Mar/2011 at 11:05am
Originally posted by TCSer

Best course is as Basant ji says stick to a job where work hours n pressure is bearable

Unlike say a decade back today's pvt sector companies does not allow you to "go slow" or work below your potential or "take it easy i do not want promotions i am happy as i am " . So unless you are in a clerical position or in a govt job or say a psu bank this is difficult if you are already in a senior position in private sector .At least in pvt sector the options seem to be either go up or go out ! Even if one lands up a stress free managerial job in pvt sector that demands 8 hours he will still need to allot 10 hours per day including commuting and with 8 hrs for sleep and 2 hrs for family ? ?

is it so easy to get a stress free 9 to 5 job in pvt sector that pays say 50000 per month ? I am  not sure. 

Posted By: values
Date Posted: 17/Mar/2011 at 11:13am
I tend to disagree a little there. There are always options of working from home in today/s environment when commuting is so hard in terms of distance, traffic etc etc. I think you can finish ur work even in less than those 8 hours or so that you say, because come to think of it, i dont think we are productive for the most part of those hours anyway. Its about working smarter and not working so hard-er. And in today's environment when you have access to so much technology with internet and news virtually 24/7 you can more than make up for the time and get to do what you like. Moreover you always have 2 days off in pvt. sector jobs to wind and loosen up for the week ahead.

Originally posted by anthro

Originally posted by TCSer

Best course is as Basant ji says stick to a job where work hours n pressure is bearable

Unlike say a decade back today's pvt sector companies does not allow you to "go slow" or work below your potential or "take it easy i do not want promotions i am happy as i am " . So unless you are in a clerical position or in a govt job or say a psu bank this is difficult if you are already in a senior position in private sector .At least in pvt sector the options seem to be either go up or go out ! Even if one lands up a stress free managerial job in pvt sector that demands 8 hours he will still need to allot 10 hours per day including commuting and with 8 hrs for sleep and 2 hrs for family ? ?

is it so easy to get a stress free 9 to 5 job in pvt sector that pays say 50000 per month ? I am  not sure. 

-------------
Knowledge is power!

Date Posted: 18/Mar/2011 at 11:27pm
Hours required in office is a function of one's industry, position in hierarchy and job description (individual contributor vs people manager etc), upsides that one can visualize in his/her job etc

The brighter side of being in an engrossing job is that the urge to check stock quotes or to trade goes away fully since one can't indulge in the distraction.

While it reduces the time required to analyze stocks if you're one stock/year kind of guy it does not matter at all

When one is tense about not spending time with stocks one can take comfort from WB's saying that inactivity in the stock market creates wealth

It's ok to look at buying a stock as similar to buying a house....all stars need to align for a deal to go through

Let's not forget that we'll get a bear market every few years when all stocks will sell at a big discount

Date Posted: 18/Mar/2011 at 11:43pm

Brilliant. Most of the 25 year olds lock themselves in buying a new car and a new home and spend the next several years paying back the cost of pre-poned luxory.

Basant Sir..I don't know about a house but a good car (the more expensive the merrier) is extremely important for extracurricular activities at this age Wink

It's money well spent Smile

Posted By: FutureBull
Date Posted: 18/Mar/2011 at 12:31pm
CrazyHorse, great work indeed !
I would say that every bit of description is very correct. Can't agree more being in ER myself. I did leave my consulting job last yr to to make a move to ER in an MNC and I would say that I'm still learning everyday and not unhappy as such but many guys who started career here after MBA are not happy and want to move to consulting !!! This world is round. I really enjoyed my consulting career except the travel which was the primary reason to move. I could see my family on weekends only and breaking point reached one day but life is more or less similar here.
few things came as real shocker to me like most of the analysts are very poor in investing own money. Very very few have read books on value investing let alone following it.every colleague of mine has bought a home even if he is unmarried and not sure where to settle.
At last most take it as career without realising that working as an analyst has got unbeatable advantage in terms of availability of tools to analyse stocks. Well, everybody has his/her goals to achieve in one lifetime and there could be many ways.

-------------
‘The market always does what it’s supposed to — BUT NEVER WHEN’.

Posted By: om2112
Date Posted: 18/Mar/2011 at 9:13am

Brilliant. Most of the 25 year old's lock themselves in buying a new car and a new home and spend the next several years paying back the cost of pre-poned luxury.

The investment nest should come first, a second hand car might do the trick and doesn't Buffett say that he would have been a bit more richer had he stayed on rent for his life time. I am not saying that one should not buy a home but maybe postpone it a bit till you have made a decent amount of money locked away in good businesses.

True sir,but abnormal growth in realestate prices in last five to six years make a lot of them to believe that real estate is risk free investment that gives 24 per cagr and on that we can leverage a lot.That too with out any effort and hard work.My friends and relatives questioned me rationale behind stock market investment with a lot of hard work and risk.But my impeccable belief in market motivates me to continue in market.

Date Posted: 20/Mar/2011 at 4:25pm
I am trying to locate the post                -  I was saving like 70% of my post tax income because i knew i would soon be leaving this place. I was also lucky because i made a job change in 2008.

Was unscucesful.

Such maturity and discipline. If only I could have been so at that age.

Posted By: Mukesh C
Date Posted: 21/Mar/2011 at 11:04am

Hi,

Need help.

Please help to understand how NAVs are calculated by equity analysts for real estate companies.

Date Posted: 21/Mar/2011 at 11:17am
Total market value of land at market price less total debt divided by number of shares.

-------------

Date Posted: 22/Mar/2011 at 12:33pm

Thanks a Lot!!

Seems similar like Enterprise value…. But risky..

I think many research reports must be quoting aggressive NAVs….. for part of land banks with ongoing construction -  the potential development benefits must be embedded ? this again gets into territory of EPS- right- Please help to understand.

Thanks again for your valuable inputs…. As always

Date Posted: 22/Mar/2011 at 1:17pm
yes. In most research reports the NAV also includes the value of development even for empty land. the more conservative way ofcourse is to just have the land value.

-------------

Date Posted: 22/Mar/2011 at 2:33pm
hmmm..... shall keep in mind

Date Posted: 29/Mar/2011 at 11:51am
I didn't know my salary when I went to work for Graham until I got his first paycheck. Do what you love and don't even think about the money. I will take a trip on Paul Allen's Octopus ($400M yacht), but wouldn't want one for myself. A 60 man crew is needed. They could be stealing, sleeping with each other, etc. Professional sports teams are a hassle, especially when you have as much money as him. Fans would complain that you aren't spending enough when the team loses.

If there is a place that is warm in the winter and cool in the summer, and you do what you love doing, you will do fine. You're rich if you are working around people you like. You will make money if you are energetic and intelligent. This society lets smart people with drive earn a very good living. You will be no exception. - Warren Buffett

-------------

Posted By: Koti_gunda
Date Posted: 30/Mar/2011 at 12:29pm

You will make money if you are energetic and intelligent. This society lets smart people with drive earn a very good living. You will be no exception. - Warren Buffett

This shows how passionate about the profession he has selected and shown greater amount of conviction before he started earning anything.

Date Posted: 30/Mar/2011 at 12:53pm

That is perfectly right:

1. Being energetic
2. Have a lot of commitment
3. Do what you like.

I think in India also it would be the same value systems that will ensure your success.

Must be the absence of these opportunities that have triggered the revolutions in the Middle East.

Print Page | Close Window