Print Page | Close Window

Paper Industry

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Investment Ideas - Creating winning portfolios!
Forum Name: Sector talk
Forum Discription: Discussion on sectors with regard to specific matters. We will be discussing the various sectors of the economy and how they would perform. Basically a top down approach.
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2074
Printed Date: 26/Jun/2024 at 9:58pm

Topic: Paper Industry
Posted By: Hitesh Shah
Subject: Paper Industry
Date Posted: 24/Feb/2009 at 9:18pm
Nice starting point by http://hdfcsec.com/Research/Story.aspx?Heading=IndustryReports&ArticleID=c108dcf7-22c1-4691-9e80-80834d8cd1c2 - HDFC Securities .

Replies:
Posted By: kutchi1966
Date Posted: 27/Feb/2009 at 1:19pm
how about J K Paper @ sub 15 level. Good dividend yield. Though it will not qualify buy if ROE/ROCE, growth angle is sceutinised. But at BV of Rs.50 and EPS of Rs.4 - 5, I hope it will can give a return of 36% if one consider dps also.
Can any one give their view  with  the  investment  time horizon of one year?Mukesh.

-------------
M.JAIN

Posted By: 9StockPortfolio
Date Posted: 27/Feb/2009 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by kutchi1966

how about J K Paper @ sub 15 level. Good dividend yield. Though it will not qualify buy if ROE/ROCE, growth angle is sceutinised. But at BV of Rs.50 and EPS of Rs.4 - 5, I hope it will can give a return of 36% if one consider dps also.
Can any one give their view  with  the  investment  time horizon of one year?Mukesh.

also debt is too high

-------------
Pursuit of Value

Posted By: basant
Date Posted: 27/Feb/2009 at 9:07am
Most of the paper companies are family held affairs where the Board and the management do what theowners want them to do. BILT is an exception but apart from that many paper companies have promoters taking ana ctive and keen interest in the affairs to squeeze the minority shareholders.

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Posted By: Vivek Sukhani
Date Posted: 28/Feb/2009 at 4:50pm
JK Paper is almost available at its 1 year cash flows. Problem is, I dont understand what are these promoters doing. Harsh Pati Singhania is more busy with his industry body meetings than with JK Paper.....thats the tragedy.

Among paper stocks, BILT does qualify as a good stock, and so does a TNLP.

-------------
Jai Guru!!!

Posted By: kutchi1966
Date Posted: 01/Mar/2009 at 11:44am
Even considering all negatives as said here about J K Paper, What matters to an investor is the returns, which I thinks from here any one can earn not less than 30% P.A in Jk paper. My view in this scrip for less than 12 months. This is not long term investment grade share. Hope here more in this forum.
Thanks

-------------
M.JAIN

Posted By: kannanravi1
Date Posted: 07/Mar/2009 at 2:22am
Hi Vivek,
    If I recall you were interested in playing in the paper sector. Which is your favorite pick in that space? BILT my any chance? Also whats your take on Macmillan. Macmillan appears to attractive from a valuation standpoint. I have never looked into it closely though. Any clue?

-------------
kannan

Date Posted: 08/Mar/2009 at 11:08am
Macmillan, if I remember correctly, is showing consistent decline in profitability.

Among paper, I would still go with West Coast Paper, BILT, TNPL and JK paper.....

-------------
Jai Guru!!!

Date Posted: 08/Mar/2009 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Vivek Sukhani

Macmillan, if I remember correctly, is showing consistent decline in profitability.....

Also some corporate action happened. Don't know details but Ramesh Damani used to be active in this.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/Mar/2009 at 11:19am
Publishing as a space is okay, but profitability is a concern. What do you say for Navneet?

-------------
Jai Guru!!!

Date Posted: 08/Mar/2009 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Vivek Sukhani

Publishing as a space is okay, but profitability is a concern. What do you say for Navneet?

I was tempted but finally didn't get into it.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/Mar/2009 at 11:27am
Good.....

-------------
Jai Guru!!!

Posted By: smartcat
Date Posted: 17/Jul/2009 at 4:06pm
I bought a small quantity of West Coast Paper instead of BILT. Reasons -

- It has got a really cool name.

- No raw material volatility issues because they have license to cut down trees in Karnataka, and they have a factory right next to a river (so no water problems).

- Steady increase in sales & profits in the recent past - no hiccups in the middle. Closed FY09 with  net sales of Rs. 620 crores and a net profit of Rs. 90 crores.

- Marketcap of Rs. 300 crores, P/E of 3.5, P/BV of 0.6 and dividend yield of 6%.

- Owns a part of Rama Newsprint (current mcap Rs. 90 cr)

Date Posted: 17/Jul/2009 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by smartcat

I bought a small quantity of West Coast Paper instead of BILT. Reasons -

- It has got a really cool name.

- No raw material volatility issues because they have license to cut down trees in Karnataka, and they have a factory right next to a river (so no water problems).

- Steady increase in sales & profits in the recent past - no hiccups in the middle. Closed FY09 with  net sales of Rs. 620 crores and a net profit of Rs. 90 crores.

- Marketcap of Rs. 300 crores, P/E of 3.5, P/BV of 0.6 and dividend yield of 6%.

- Owns a part of Rama Newsprint (current mcap Rs. 90 cr)

Except Debt, everything else looks good for West Coast Paper Mills.
Still, I want to hear from Vivek why he gives preference to BILT than Deccan or WCPM.

-------------
Pursuit of Value

Date Posted: 19/Jul/2009 at 8:21pm
I already have West Coast. BILT I had exited during the buyback and the run-up prior to the buyback. Now, I am gradually trying to get back what I had sold out.

BILT, in its current form, now more of a consumer company rather than paper manufacturing company. West Coast is a very static kind of a company. Better than west Coast, I would rather bet with a Seshasayee or a JK paper.

-------------
Jai Guru!!!

Posted By: nitin_jagtap
Date Posted: 20/Jul/2009 at 12:32pm

We might eventually see BILT being an end to end upstream and downstream player in the paper business...lot has to do with the branding that gautam thapar has planned for bilt ..right from planning to open exlcusive bilt stores upto sponsoring some major golfing events in India. Valuing the brand IMO will be tricky unlike the other players like WCPM or star or sheshasayee

-------------
Warm REgards
Nitin Jagtap

Date Posted: 20/Jul/2009 at 12:45pm
A little about BILT,  a little about Crompton, is http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1906&PID=111044#111044 - here

-------------

Date Posted: 20/Jul/2009 at 12:46pm

How important is a "brand" when it comes to selling paper? According to me, branding for paper is as "less important" as branding for something like steel.

Date Posted: 20/Jul/2009 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by smartcat

How important is a "brand" when it comes to selling paper? According to me, branding for paper is as "less important" as branding for something like steel.

What a relief you didn't take this topic down another road Wink!

-------------

Date Posted: 20/Jul/2009 at 1:12pm
It is always MY WAY or the HIGHWAY.

Date Posted: 20/Jul/2009 at 1:22pm
Its not just branding the plain paper ...its branding the dairies, books,calendar  and all paper related stationery...something like what ITC does which i just using their name and capitalizing on the distribution.

-------------
Warm REgards
Nitin Jagtap

Date Posted: 20/Jul/2009 at 1:39pm

You need to check what percentage of sales for BILT comes from such stationery items.

I don't like BILT because of this - their past sales & profit performance
http://www.moneycontrol.com/financials/ballarpurindustries/results/yearly/BI12 - http://www.moneycontrol.com/financials/ballarpurindustries/results/yearly/BI12

Why have they messed up so badly in the past?

Date Posted: 20/Jul/2009 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Hitesh Shah

A little about BILT,  a little about Crompton, is http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1906&PID=111044#111044 - here

Thanks Hitesh for sharing this information.

-------------
Pursuit of Value

Date Posted: 20/Jul/2009 at 2:10pm
The company has reorganied its business. It has demerged its business and the company in its current form is more a concumer company rather than a commodity company.

Comparing the financials of the new avtaar with the old avtaar is therefore, not a right way of looking at BILT.

-------------
Jai Guru!!!

Date Posted: 20/Jul/2009 at 2:43pm
Now BILT is now looking a lot better than before.  But why do they keep http://www.google.co.in/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=0h&oq=&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGIH_enIN260IN260&q=bilt+restructuring - restructuring their business every few years? 1998, 1999, 2000, 2007, 2008... Instead of trying to become big, it looks like they are trying to become small.

But I guess a consumer company will have a 2 - 3 times higher P/E than a commodity company.

Date Posted: 20/Jul/2009 at 5:59pm
The intangible aspects of a direct consumer business like brand, distribution capability, retail real estate value would help to command a higher valuation IMO

-------------
Warm REgards
Nitin Jagtap

Posted By: huai0592
Date Posted: 20/May/2011 at 9:55am
I am a newer here.
Glad to meet u.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window