Print Page | Close Window

Strategy to be used by a fresh graduates

Printed From: The Equity Desk
Category: Careers
Forum Name: Build careers in Finance
Forum Discription: Share new course options and spread awareness about various programs for people willing to build a career in finance.,B'Com,BBA, BBM,CA,CS,ICWA,CFA,CFP,
URL: http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=155
Printed Date: 25/Jun/2024 at 10:18am

Topic: Strategy to be used by a fresh graduates
Posted By: Mamta
Subject: Strategy to be used by a fresh graduates
Date Posted: 13/Aug/2006 at 9:59pm
Hi every1

I am very much interested in knowing the facts about <>.

it seems like a big circle (what goes round.. comes around)

Ppl offering Jobs want a resume with experience and exposure and how do new graduates get experience when no body is ready to give jobs to inexperienced starters. AND above all how do you tell your prospective employer or big corporates to give new Grads <> a chance to prove their skills and capabilities.

Look fwd to hearing your views.......

Replies:
Date Posted: 13/Aug/2006 at 10:44pm
 I think finding job right after graduation specially when u have no experince, it's hard.. and I think it's the phase which each and every one passes through...except the one who go internship

Do you think the situation wil change

Posted By: Ambarish
Date Posted: 13/Aug/2006 at 12:18pm
there is no such "situation" in my opinion if you are capable and if you deserve a job there are plenty of openings you just need to search the point is that where to search this is the information which is missing one of the best place to start looking for is in your college it self there is something know as jobs in  campus then world wide web is there etc etc etc you only need to look at the right places

-------------
www.halwasiya.uni.cc
“Wining is not everything, it is the only thing”

Date Posted: 13/Aug/2006 at 12:26pm

but as a student i feel one thing along with accads one needs to have good communication skills. and in this cut troat competion. every individual has got to have some kinda different talent to prove his stand. right now campus requirement bosts the confidence of many graduates. but i  strongly feel as a fresher fetching a job in the open market is really tough.

i just dnt knw where i would stand after my graduation. but always hopefor the best with my effort involved in it.

Posted By: basant
Date Posted: 13/Aug/2006 at 9:27am
Mamta I would tend to agree with you. It is like the chicken and the egg race but if you need to brak out of that race you would have to supplement yourself with a professsional degree. If you are just a plain simple vanilla graduate then getting a job is really tough. How ever these days call centres etc do provide some work but the best thing for the fresh grad is to grab what ever job he gets and then take it from there.They have no options as they say "Beggers can't be choosers".

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Posted By: rohit
Date Posted: 14/Aug/2006 at 11:18pm
I completely agree with Mr. basant that a fresher should pursue a professional course along with the basic courses to get a proper job otherwise it is really tough.

-------------

Date Posted: 14/Aug/2006 at 11:27pm
Freshers can get a break in call centers that too if they are conversant with english speaking but that experience rarely helps in other jobs. But in today's world an english speaking grad can hope tpo earn about 10k each month then as opportunities come he could take it from there. Compared to what the situation was about 10 years ago things are really easy now.

A friend of mine who works in India's largest private sector company says that those people take CA's only instead of B'com their argument is that  if an grad is to be paid rs 10 k why not take a fresher CA for 15k. Sounds interesting...

-------------
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in

Date Posted: 14/Aug/2006 at 11:28pm

There is a school of thought amongst employers that thinks that an experienced person is better than a fresh graduate.

People think that education is all theory and no practice.

The management usually concerns itself with short term figures and not about long time nurturance and training of its employees. In the long term, the person with the right educational qualification is the winner and contributes best to an organization when we think in terms of the law of averages

Unfortunately they do not realize something.

Theory follows practice. The most effective personality types are those who can amalgamate theory and practice. theory is a mental blueprint for any undertaking and without that base you are creating something which is totally haphazard or something so so at its best.

Posted By: reetesh
Date Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 10:11pm
Mr. Basant, I want a suggestion from you and this is off topic. I want to do something in finance I have done BE and currently doing training in Oracle Database, but I am more interested in Finance so planning to enrol for MBA or MS in Finance from ICFAI (both Part Time) which one is better I think MS because it is more or less a part time course through out, what would be your choice and why?

Regards,
Reetesh.

-------------
When going gets tough, that’s when tough (people) gets going.

Date Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 10:26pm
Distance learning MBA would not carry much weight. It is better to look at the course content rather then the material value of the degree. If you are interested in hard core Investments (Finance) the ICFAI does has a short term (one year) program which they call CIIA (Certified International Investment ANalyst)  I had done this PG diploma about 10 years back and found it very interesting. Now if you really want to get a head on career in Finace then you should go in for the INTERNATIONAL CFA not the Indian one.

It is a bit costly but I would rate an international CFA on equal terms with an IIM MBA. You would get mroe details on their website http://www.aimr.com - www.aimr.com .

Otherwise MS in finance is also good but an Int CFA can get you a starting salary of about Rs 500k after you complete level 2 also. there are 3 levels in all. 

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 10:43pm

Sir there is one problem, I will have to do a course from ICFAI because I have already enrolled myself in MBA (Part Time) and paid 90% of fees already, but some how I have managed to change it to MS, I have option to choose between them so which one should I go for. I know part time MBA is of no use, I did`nt had clue about this when I enrolled but thats history, now what to do.

About CFA from CFA Institute, there is no information about Fees and duration of course, and about Curriculum also, so please let me know if you have any idea...

Regards,

Reetesh. 

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 10:51pm
Yes AIMR does not say anything on the website. It is costly and the whole course would cost around Rs 150,000 but we have to pay in 3 years.Can you send me a link to the curricullam of both these courses here. Would like to go through them.

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 11:16pm
http://www.icfai.org/icfe/welcome_msfinance.htm -
Below link is for MS in Finance

http://www.icfai.org/icfe/msfinance_ps.htm

and this one is for MBA

http://www.icfai.org/icfe/mba_ps.htm

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 12:16pm
This MS in finance looks like the old CFA course they were conducting it is good only from the knowledge point of view but very difficult if you are doing it alone (without a group)

The durations is also very long so you would need to wait. Frankly both the MS and part time MBA program are kind of looked upon as the same. Employers are looking for international CFA these days

I do not think that it would make a difference if you do either of them but the MS prog improves and sharpens the skills considerably.No doubt on that.

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 12:22pm

Then I think I wasted my money....

Can you tell me is MS a part time course all over...

-------------

Posted By: prosperity
Date Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 12:36pm

Basant-ji,

Portfolio Mgmt, Economics, Finance is an area which always invities me and refreshes me ... Its a hobby that i want to take serioiusly..

I want to continue my Technical/Engineering profession finally leading to a Higher Mgmt/Technical Role in the same company ....

But i manage my portfolio actively and never want to go the PMS/MF way..

Also for pursuing my interest seriously - which is the best correspondence course which can give me maximum knowledge (no jobs/degree needed) and take minimum time, minimum energy and moderate course fees ?

Thanks !

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 6:54am

Strangely I have always thought (and believed) that markets can be understood best by reading experiences (autobiographies).

MOst of the things that we are taught in these courses are irrelevant and based on hypothesis. FOr instance there is something called the dividend discount model which computes the price of a stock by looking at how much dividend a company pays.

This method is more theoritical and has little ptactical relevance.

In case degrees do not matter and you are not looking for a job once you complete the course I can suggest to you an alternative but very interesting method.
1) Make a list of 20 - 25  autobiographies/books on the masters in business
2) Read them over very slowly. In fact i never try to finish reading a book in less then a month; underlining each important thought. I prefer treating them as a school text books and not a novel.
3) The total budget could be between Rs 12,000- Rs 15,000.
4) I can assure you that there is no better method to learn then this.

It is strange but when you try to look for a job on the basis of these books read -  it does not count!

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 7:05am
Not sure about all but normally they are distance learning courses. The International CFA is a distance learning course as well. In fact these guys (ICFAI) had a very similar contents and started marketing it in the name of CFA. the international CFA guys (AIMR) did not like this and if you are a CFA from ICFAI hyderabad you cannot label yourself as one outside India.

WIth all these FII/foreign brokerages coming into india they are now looking at international CFA's and not the local ones.

I think that your engineering degree can get you more money then a CFA one.

-------------

Posted By: kulman
Date Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 10:46am
Please list yout favourite books, which you feel are MUST READ for investors.

-------------
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards

Date Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 10:55am

I would. In fact I have been trying to write on the section you started but just not been able to organize things.

-------------

Date Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 11:20am

Great! Waiting for that valuable information. You are right, this investment of 10/15,000 would go a long way in helping one understand the capital markets.

-------------

Posted By: prosperity
Date Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 11:52am
Thanks Basantji,

I would make sure that i read biographies as slow text books..

BUT that does not Completely solve the problem that i wanted to -

I believe v. strongly in Fundamenals. I want to do a fundamental analysis of any new company in 1-2 hours (ofcourse, with help of internet) ..

Just as you do ... and take my words - you do it very well...

So i need to understand the concepts of financial ratios ... which i read some material on the net and followed it up ...

But the deeper understanding of economics - like how interest rates effect currency exchange rates .. how does fiscal deficit impact both of the above .. how does capex impact companies in long/short term.. why people who are confident of their ventures - why don't they take more debt rather than diluting equity .. etc. etc.

i thought to understand these i need some basic course .... and either some basic financial and economics books can do me a good OR a small course ...

pls. suggest. Thanks !

-------------

Date Posted: 14/Sep/2006 at 12:20pm
Sir, Its only money that I want to switch to Finance it is my interest and passion and without degree I cant do anything this is the sad part. You are right that these things can be learned by reading biographies rather than theory. What ever I know I have learnt it that way, but you need to fire in you, thats for sure and money alone cant bring that, this is what I think..

Regards,
Reetesh.

-------------

Date Posted: 14/Sep/2006 at 12:22pm
again I made a mistake, just to try and type fast missed a important sentence, It`s not only money, rather that Its only money.

-------------

Date Posted: 14/Sep/2006 at 12:37pm

Unfortunatley I am not aware of any single course that would teach us all of these. Most of time the relevant portion is only 25% of the total material. Most of the unfortunate things with these courses is that the kind of exercise they expect investors to make is beyond the scope of any normal individual investor. For instance they would ask us to prepare a 5 year discounted cash flow method. Now 5 years is such a long period of time; companies could close down they could have competition grow faster then their peers or be over taken it leads to a lot of grey areas.

Individuals like us do not have access to all the management and above that we have limited time. SO if you opt for a formal training it would be difficult to put everything in practice.

ABout ratios no biography carries it all but there are very specific recalls of certain events in almost all the books. That is why I prefer to read them very slowly so that the concept sinks into my head. I must have read One up... at least 10 times! You could make out by the kind of stocks I wish to discuss on the forum.

Still you could check up on the CIIA course conducted by the ICFAi Hyderabad. It does have a greater proportion of practical study and there are a lot of case studies discussed as well. You would get it on their website.

Finally thank you so much for your kind words. But my formal education has played no role in the way I look at companies (I learnt the ratios there but applicatiuon is the trickiest part). I would owe my knowledge to
1) The books of the masters
2) Discussing things with like minded people - like we are doing here. Till date I did not know why Buffet did not buy Pepsi but coke. - Manish made it so easy. the next time I look at a company I will have this piece at the back of my mind.

-------------

Posted By: vishal.sahay
Date Posted: 20/Nov/2006 at 9:39pm
Does anyone has idea about KPO firms? Is it worth joining such firms? I have got job offer from Copal partners and if anyone has idea specifically about this firm, ur comments are welcomed. But plz reply asap.

-------------
Vishal

Posted By: BubbleVision
Date Posted: 21/Nov/2006 at 12:43pm
Vishal... KPO firms are doing the work of US ... which has been outsourced to india. I myself am employed as a "Technician" in such a Firm.... as Technical Analysis is also outsourced.  

First check out the work which you will doing. If you are doing Research .... Funda or economic ... then it would be highly advisable to take up the offer as it would help you a great deal in the Future.

It is important to do Research ... for finance guys...As it increases the knowledge....

Do let us know of your decision and of any Research ... which you may be doing. With Experience the pay will automatically increase.

-------------
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!

Date Posted: 21/Nov/2006 at 5:04pm
yes the job involves some quantitative and qualitative but more inclined towards the former. I have been the designation of Senior Analyst. You can look at the company site and see if u get some idea http://www.copalpartners.com - www.copalpartners.com . All ur views are welcomed. Looking forward to hear from you soon.

-------------
Vishal

Date Posted: 21/Nov/2006 at 5:54pm
Vishal... after looking at the Site of the company...i would recommend you to join. However i would also advice you one thing.... Dont play In F&O markets ... without proper knowledge.

-------------
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!

Date Posted: 03/Mar/2007 at 9:41am
Hi Manishkayal Bhai

I would request you to please post the compelete cource structure along with the subjects ... required for each level of Intl CFA which you are doing.

Also please post the minimum time requirements between each levels, Exam format (online/pencil paper)  (Objective/practical) and the exam fees and all.

I have a cousin who wants to do Intl CFA and i need to advise him.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/Mar/2007 at 9:57am

While Manish is the best person to guide on this course I would reiterate that this is the best course that any aspiring equity analyst could do.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/Mar/2007 at 10:11am
Another cource for Equity Analysts is CMT (Certified Market Technecian)....which is technecians equivalent of CFA.

-------------

Posted By: manishkayal
Date Posted: 03/Mar/2007 at 11:32am
Originally posted by BubbleVision

Hi Manishkayal Bhai

I would request you to please post the compelete cource structure along with the subjects ... required for each level of Intl CFA which you are doing.
Sure BubbleVision Jee..........First there are Three Levels in all. Level 1 conducted in June & December whereas the Level 2 & 3 are conducted only in December.
For the topics that are included you can go through this file on http://www.esnips.com/doc/4592993d-382c-462d-971a-2585b4d1ef92/CFA-Institiute---Candidate-Body-of-Knowledge - http://www.esnips.com/doc/4592993d-382c-462d-971a-2585b4d1ef92/CFA-Institiute---Candidate-Body-of-Knowledge
This file is called ""Candidates Body of Knowledge"" as per CFA Institute....and they expect a CFA Charterholders to have a knowledge of these topic....though the course are subject to changes everyyear as per the market situation...I mean they would include many new developments in the Industry.....infact they conducts surveys for the ppl in the industry asking what they think should be included in the course. There is usually 10-15% change in the course everyyear....but that not necessary...there might be years when there is no change or when there are drastic changes (like this year 35-45% change).

Also please post the minimum time requirements between each levels, Exam format (online/pencil paper)  (Objective/practical) and the exam fees and all.
Time Requirements: The time taken to complete this course would be in the range of 2-2.5 years. 2 years for the ppl who appears for LEvel 1 in December and then appear for Level 2 in june...this way they would save 6 months. It has a CAT type of Exam paper structure....100% objectives in level 1 & 2 and 50% reasoning in level 3. Its Paper Pencil type of exam not Online.
Money: 35K-40K for level 1 (coz this includes admission fess kind of charges) and 20K approx for Level 2 & 3 each...so this makes 80K for the fees. We got to arrange for the books ourselves. Buying the originals deos not make sense (as it costs something 20K for each level)...no one does in India as far as I seen....many ppl share the cost of books after ordering it from Schweser (the private institution who prepares notes for CFA candidates....I have followed their Materials). In Mumbai I never had prob getting Study Materials...have no idea abt Kolkatta...but I can help you out in this too.

I have a cousin who wants to do Intl CFA and i need to advise him.
I would advise to go for this course. But I will tell you one qualification Sunil Singhania had on the ppl going on for this course. He said that ppl who are just plain vanilla graduates should not gor for it....they should have a Base degree like CA / MBA, etc. CFA is a Add-On degree...(he himself is a CA as well as CFA....and the India head of CFA Institute society also Reliance Equity Fund Manager)...So I would like you to take this in consideration...becoz even I believe in this view of his.

Let me know if you need any more help on this. You can call me anytime on +91-9892846506.

Date Posted: 03/Mar/2007 at 11:59am

Bubblevision is the other course based on technical analysis and originates from UK? If so Gautam Shah of JM Morgan STanley has done it and says it is the ultimate things for a TA. I know him through someone.

-------------

Posted By: nikhil090
Date Posted: 03/Mar/2007 at 11:59am
thanks for the info. that may be helpful for me also if I get to move in my desired area.

Date Posted: 04/Mar/2007 at 12:01pm
Thanks Manish for this information.
I will pass on this information to my cousin and take it from there.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/Mar/2007 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by nikhil090

thanks for the info. that may be helpful for me also if I get to move in my desired area.

But the problem is they require 3 years of relevant (investment banking/finance) work experience before you are awarded your CFA charter.But for anyone wanting  a toe hold in this industry Int. CFA is the ultimate thing.

The financial calculator that you are required to buy at the first level teaches you things that a person would normally have never learnt. It changes the perspective altogether. I keep that fiancial calculator with me every time.It is kind of a magic toy!

-------------

Posted By: nikhil090
Date Posted: 04/Mar/2007 at 12:41pm
That will eventually happen Basantji. If one moves into investment banking/ Equity research, and as it may take 2-3 years to complete the course, one will have the 3 yr experience.

Date Posted: 04/Mar/2007 at 12:56pm

CMT is the standard course from MTA (Market Technecians Association), which is based in NY, US. Their web address is http://www.mta.org/ - www.mta.org . The course details and the contents are given at the site.

This course for technecians is also of three levels, with each level taken one after another . Exams are held twice a year once in Apr-May and the second time in Nov-Dec.

The first and second level is an online exam but in the third level one has to write a technical research paper which would be examined by existing CMT's.

For first level the charge is $500 for the registration and exam fees ...for the second and third level the exam fees is $400 for each. Additionally the upfront registration charge is $300.

So if one clears all CMT levels in first attempt then the total charge would be $1600.00

The UK course is STA Diploma and even Gabba has done that. However this one is much much inferior when compared to the US CMT.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/Mar/2007 at 1:00pm
For one to awardeded the permission to use the title CMT...one has to have 5 years of one the job experience...So CMT is for Technecians and CFA is exactly the same for Fundamentalists.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/Mar/2007 at 1:14pm
The financial calculator that you are required to buy at the first level teaches you things that a person would normally have never learnt. It changes the perspective altogether. I keep that fiancial calculator with me every time.It is kind of a magic toy!

-------------------------------------------------

Basant jee

Please let us know the make, model number & approx price of that Toy.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/Mar/2007 at 1:17pm
The one that I have is Texas instrument BA II plus whereas you can get Casio ones alos. the fomer cost me Rs 3000 while the Casio ones cost around Rs 2000. Both work as effectively as each other.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/Mar/2007 at 1:23pm
Thanks

By the way, does it have "Leverage" function?Shocked

-------------

Date Posted: 04/Mar/2007 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by basant

But the problem is they require 3 years of relevant (investment banking/finance) work experience before you are awarded your CFA charter.But for anyone wanting  a toe hold in this industry Int. CFA is the ultimate thing.

Want to correct Basantji here....Its 4 year of relevant Indsutry Experience...for which they have a list of areas on which you should work on. Audit / Articleship is not counted in it.

True Basantji....it is a Magic toy for sure.....though it takes time to learn how to operate it inititally...but once you know it...then its a computer on hand with us....calculate EMI, IRR, and what not.

Date Posted: 04/Mar/2007 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by kulman

Thanks

The fact that you have bought a calculator means you are no longer belong to the Lal pariwaar!

-------------

Posted By: b_kothari2001
Date Posted: 04/Mar/2007 at 11:57pm
Basantji,

As I know for appearing in CFA level 1 (From USA one), 16 years of eduction will also work.
It means if you have Master degree or Engineering degree from India, it should work.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers,
Bharat

Originally posted by nikhil090

Date Posted: 04/Mar/2007 at 9:09am
YOu are correct 12+4 makes 16. But are you contemplating getting into this?

-------------

Date Posted: 04/Mar/2007 at 10:34am

Basantji,

My wife is preaparing for the same & will appear in June Exam.

Cheers,
Bharat

Date Posted: 04/Mar/2007 at 10:46am
Good. If so ask her to get the material from Scheweser. Manish should be able to inform better but Scheweser material is considered the best for Int. CFA.

-------------

Posted By: Mohan
Date Posted: 04/Mar/2007 at 10:58am
I agree. The material from the CFA Institute is detailed and complete.
Schweser is a concise and consolidated version of it.
I have enrolled for the Jun 2007 test.

-------------
Be fearful when others are greedy and be greedy when others are fearful.

Date Posted: 04/Mar/2007 at 10:58am

Basantji thanks for the information.

She already having material from Scheweser. And she is preapring from the same from last 2-3 months with few other materials.

Cheers,
Bharat

Date Posted: 04/Mar/2007 at 11:15am
Its actually http://www.cfainstitute.org - www.cfainstitute.org

-------------

Posted By: deveshkayal
Date Posted: 05/Mar/2007 at 1:00pm

Originally posted by kulman

Thanks

The fact that you have bought a calculator means you are no longer belong to the Lal pariwaar!

Kulmanji dont get mistaken by Casio to Casino..

-------------
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett

Date Posted: 05/Mar/2007 at 1:58pm
LOL Thanks for that Devesh jee!

Such clarifications are required .......otherwise some keys related to Memory function would mean:

= Margin
M+ = More Margin
MC = Margin Call

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Mar/2007 at 2:12pm
Kulman -- aapka javab nahin

BTW, The CFA course also has Technical Analysis as one of its subparts under "Analysis of Equity Instruments". I got to know this from the cource http://www.esnips.com/doc/4592993d-382c-462d-971a-2585b4d1ef92/CFA-Institiute---Candidate-Body-of-Knowledge - contents which manishkayal posted yesterday.  

-------------

Posted By: ashish_agarwal
Date Posted: 18/Mar/2007 at 9:40pm

Hey guys i am doing my CA final got my exam in NOv. N iam plannin to take up CFA in DEC 07. Hows the course value in the Indian market. i also came across some other course for technicians. Whats the difference n how good is it. What are its prospects n how will it help me. Throwing light on any other mater shall also be Helpful.

Regards
Ashish

Date Posted: 18/Mar/2007 at 11:25pm
I think Int. CFA is the BEST any person can do. You may ask for any specific detail from Manish kayal who is already a level 3 candidate for the Int. CFA.

-------------

Date Posted: 18/Mar/2007 at 11:37pm
Thankyou Basantji,

Ashish Jee, Welcome to TED,
since you are already in to CA arena, I would recommend CFA for you. I son't know what other technicians courses are you talking about, but CFA is over and above all of them in the Finance field. It do takes a lot of Investment, time and money wise, believe me it is worthwhile to go for. I have enjoyed this cirriculum in my Level 1 & 2 and the materials for the Level 3 are also up to expectations. Please let me know if you need any more details on Intl CFA.

Date Posted: 19/Mar/2007 at 11:38pm

Manish Ji

Ashish would suffice no need to add such degree high degree of respect.

I was actually talkin abt CMT frm market Technicians Association. Just came across it while reading the threads got no ideas abt it.

And i was lookin forward to takin up CFA, USA in Dec 07, n i hav got my CA final exams in Nov so was a lil Confused n worried.

As u hav already done Levels 1 n 2 would like to ask u that will schweser suffiece for level 1 reading n how much time do i need to dedicate...

And wat kinda a significance does the Degree hold in the Indian market Viz-a viz the International market (as regards the JOb opportunity i mean). Also how does it compare with an MBA

Thanx for showing interest.

Date Posted: 19/Mar/2007 at 11:46pm
Manish can provide accurate guidance on the same but from I know

1) Scheweser is good though some people also look at Stella for added reference. Scheweser is to the point whereas Stella is a bit more elaborate. But people who have referred Schweser have completed the course without much hassles.

2) You need at least 3 months of at least 4 hours study but since you would do CA Final some topics would overlap and that could work out to your advantage.

3) I would rank an Int CFA at par with a MBA from IIM's - that is if you intend to be with the Investment research business.

rest I think Manish should be able to answer/ammend/suggest.

-------------

Date Posted: 20/Mar/2007 at 5:28pm
Ashish -- CMT is a specialised cource in Technical Analysis and it is recommended for anyone with prior knowledge of Technical Analysis. Additionally, having been through all the study matter of the cource, I think a 5 year Experience (in TA) is a must for anyone planning to do CMT.

CMT level 3 is very very tricky as one has to do an "original unpublished research as his thesis"... to successfully clear it. Or one has an essay type question, which again is very tricky. Existing CMT's examine the papers for it.

With CMT .. the career options would be of Market Strategist and so on... The Job is very very demanding as most of the people have a perception that a "Technician" should be able to pick each and every turn in the market (even on an Minute to minute timeframe).  

With CFA ... the Job options are more diverse ... in Investment Banking, Stock Research and so on. (manish would be able to guide better).

CMT is only for one with deep interest in Technical Analysis as a subject!

Looking at your background ... I think Intl CFA would be recommended.

Dont do the Indian version (of ICFAI)... as its same as wasting your money now a days!

-------------

Date Posted: 20/Mar/2007 at 5:47pm
Also ... there are no formal traning institutes for CMT ... so everthing (almost) depends upon self study.

-------------

Date Posted: 20/Mar/2007 at 8:34pm
Thanx guys...... for  your concern.

Date Posted: 10/Apr/2007 at 10:12pm
Basantji, yeh thread mein Edit aur Delete buttons add karo....Thanks...

-------------
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett

Date Posted: 10/Apr/2007 at 10:19pm
Guess it is done now.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/Apr/2007 at 10:25pm
Thanks...

-------------

Date Posted: 21/May/2007 at 10:47am
CFA exams may not happen this June(next month) in India...So my brother is planning to go abroad...Indian education system SUCKS.Angry

-------------

Posted By: gargakhil
Date Posted: 19/Aug/2007 at 11:59am
Dear Mr. Basant ,
What is current status of International CFA ?
Is it possible to do it from India, if yes kindly let me know address and website of CFA india branch .
I had noted some problems in this course exam by high court.
Kindly let me know.
thanks
gargakhil

Date Posted: 20/Aug/2007 at 1:05pm
There were problems and from what I know they have not been reolved. I think their website http://www.aimr.org - www.aimr.org has all the relevant information. To me that is the best course on financial analysis that anyone can do.

-------------

Date Posted: 20/Aug/2007 at 10:08pm
Next hearing on the CFA case will be on 6th Sept..so wait till then to decide bcoz CFA institute is not allowing candidates to register for the exam even if one is ready to go abroad for the exams.

The results for June'07 exams were very bad. Most of them flunked.

Lets hope everything turns out into AIMR favour.

-------------

Posted By: gargakhil
Date Posted: 21/Aug/2007 at 8:03pm
Dear Mr. Devesh,
thanks for information.
I want to know about Int CFA course material whether it is same for all the countries or there is difference depending on region and countries. It should be different for countries as every country has its own rules for income tax as well as for rules for estate planning etc. Suppose one has to work in India or UK detailed knowledge about rules and regulations of USA is not of much use for him/her.
I want to have course material for level I CFA (second hand), CFA curriculum and schewester. Is there anybody wanting to sell?
thanks
gargakhil

Date Posted: 21/Aug/2007 at 9:09pm
Course material is same for all countries. For course material check out Ebay.

-------------

Date Posted: 21/Aug/2007 at 10:59am
 want to have course material for level I CFA (second hand), CFA curriculum and schewester. Is there anybody wanting to sell?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Wait for the verdict of the HC before you take any decisions. My brother can give you the address if you live in Mumbai for the books.

-------------

Posted By: to_yash
Date Posted: 08/Oct/2007 at 2:12pm
Hi Basant,

This AIMR CFA is banned in India so what to do if
one wants to pursue for a degree in financial field.
Can't waste a year for the legal decision to come up
for the case between icfai and aimr..

Date Posted: 08/Oct/2007 at 2:48pm
That is tough. The only way out is for sitting for an Exam through Kathmandu or some other country. But for the time being the vested interests have put a spade in education also.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/Oct/2007 at 3:02pm
I tried to apply as if I belong to nepal but how is the admit card
(or other docs if any)going to arrive as in the address
I cannot specify India as its not there in the drop down list.....
How abt CIIA..Does that have good value?

Date Posted: 08/Oct/2007 at 3:08pm
CIIA is about specific investment analysis Ok but nothing beats the Int. CFA!

-------------

Date Posted: 08/Oct/2007 at 8:59am
Basant ji thanks for your reply..One thing that I want to ask is whether cfa is recommended for engineer graduates or its only for people from commerce background

Date Posted: 08/Oct/2007 at 9:06am
Engineers would find it tough to grasp unless you are studying in a group. The curricullam takes off very fast and expects a decent level of knowledge in finance.But engioneers do beocme Int. CFA's it isn't that tough also.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/Oct/2007 at 10:40am
BasantJi...any link for CIIA?

-------------

Date Posted: 08/Oct/2007 at 11:40am
Try the ICFAI website they have an arrangement with CIIA for marketing their courses in India.Earlier ICFAI had their own module titled "Post Graduate Diploma in Equity research and Analysis" which I had completed in 1998. Now they have joined hands with CIIA.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/Oct/2007 at 1:59pm
Is there any good course on CSR? (Common Sense & Rationality)

I would like to enrol.

P.S.: There is no sarcasm here, which may please be noted.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/Oct/2007 at 2:08pm
As long as you are in the market you will forget all that you learn.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/Oct/2007 at 2:23pm
Yes Sir. You said it!

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Nov/2007 at 5:42pm
can ms finance from icfai fetch a job in foreign countries (e.g europe) which the icfai boasts of.

Date Posted: 05/Nov/2007 at 5:59pm
It brings an added line to the resume nothing else. If you want to really understand finance do the international CFA but that is presently banned because of the ICFAI institute so we need to wait for that.

-------------

Date Posted: 05/Nov/2007 at 6:42pm

u mean so much of study just to add a line to the resume without

any useful outcome.if that is the case then one shuld better go for mba right?

Date Posted: 05/Nov/2007 at 7:24pm
That is my personal thought maybe someone working in the finacial services sector could add on this.

-------------

Date Posted: 15/Dec/2007 at 3:18pm

Black Day for Indian Education system.

CFA institute has lost its court case against ICFAI. Cry

-------------

Date Posted: 15/Dec/2007 at 3:21pm

Here is the mail received my one of my Friends……

Dear colleagues,

We are disappointed to inform you that the Delhi High Court has ruled against CFA Institute in its case against the AICTE. We feel that this ruling is not in the best interests of those who are interested in earning the CFA designation, Indian employers, and the Indian investment community.

Once we receive the court's written opinion, we'll review it carefully to evaluate our position and determine our future course of action. 

Please continue to check http://www.rediffmail.com/cgi-bin/red.cgi?red=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ecfa%2Dinstitute%2Eorg%2Fls%2Ecfm%3Fr%3D88867297%26sid%3D3202157%26m%3D406675%26u%3DAIMR%5Fcms%26s%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ecfainstitute%2Eorg%2Findia&isImage=0&BlockImage=0 -  for additional updates as they become available.

Sincerely,

CFA Institute

-------------

Posted By: PrashantS
Date Posted: 16/Dec/2007 at 11:42pm
bubble ji have u cleared all the levels 

Date Posted: 16/Dec/2007 at 6:39am
Originally posted by PrashantS

bubble ji have u cleared all the levels 

Fwiw….I am NOT a CFA and I was never attempting it!

-------------

Date Posted: 16/Dec/2007 at 7:05am
This is an unexpected development now like the fund managers the students will have to open account in Mauritius or Singapore.

-------------

Date Posted: 16/Dec/2007 at 7:13am

Fwiw….

Sorry for this silly question. It is a short form like btw, fyi... 

'Fwiw' kya hota hain?

-------------

Date Posted: 16/Dec/2007 at 8:28am
KulmanJi…………Fwiw = “For whatever its worth”!

-------------

Date Posted: 16/Dec/2007 at 8:29am

This is an unexpected development now like the fund managers the students will have to open account in Mauritius or Singapore.

And Sri Lanka and Bangladesh!

-------------

Posted By: PrashantS
Date Posted: 16/Dec/2007 at 11:06am
what is the nig adavantage of being a CFA...do u become a better analyst..or is it just a TAg .or a certificate ..that ur are ready for capital markets...

Is it worth it ?

Date Posted: 16/Dec/2007 at 11:53am
None of the investing legends like buffet, lynch, RJ were CFA's and none of the CFAs are poor so it is a tag but with some difference.

-------------

Date Posted: 18/Dec/2007 at 11:08pm

And Sri Lanka and Bangladesh!

Its not possible to give exam even from these countries as they are not taking any application from India region. Moreover if you provide you have postal address there then also it will not be very easy. As after then end of course you have to give certificate of ur experience and that will not match with your permanent address. And mind it these ppl care a lot about ethics and most of the ppl flunk in this exam only.

-------------
Vishal

Date Posted: 12/Apr/2008 at 8:50am

I came across an interesting investment related cource which can be a help to many, to move up the ladder chain in their careers. It surely would help to research based guys. The programme is

http://www.caia.org/ - "Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst"  IF someone could comment on the programme details, level and the structure, then it would be great!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window