Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Stock Synopsis
 The Equity Desk Forum :Investment Ideas - Creating winning portfolios! :Stock Synopsis
Message Icon Topic: IDBI: Enough Margin of safety Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 10 Next >>
nav_1996

Online Status: Offline
Quote nav_1996 Replybullet Topic: IDBI: Enough Margin of safety
    Posted: 10/Sep/2006 at 12:15pm
Dear Basant,

Can IDBI double from here in an year?

1. Quoting at 40% discount to Book Value.
2. Good IT infrastructure.
3. Foray into new areas like online trading, insurance.
4. Share of low-cost funds going up.
5. NPA at reasonable levels.

IDBI looks like the way ICICI was in beginning of this decade.

Concerns are:
1. Low Net Interest Margins and return on equity. But likely to improve from here.

Personally I like opportunities with good margin of safety. This gives me conviction to take large bets.

Thanks
Nawendu
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 10/Sep/2006 at 12:43pm
You surely have a compelling argument but ICICI grew because of Kamath  and those bright ladies (Morparis, Gupte etc). Not so sure on IDBI but yes, the safety element screams. Is the Book value NPA adjusted?

Market  Price

Rs 65.70

Market cap

Rs 4758 crores

EPS Fy 06

Rs 7.76

PE

Book Value

Rs 88.03

RoE

9.01%

Dividend

Rs 1.5  per share

NPA

1.01%

The results do look impressive. We would ignore looking at the RoE sincethe company is trying to get its act together.Otherwise a PE of 8 for a company engaged in  Retail banking is impressive. 

It looks like a great bet! I would back you on this and if there is anything wrong it appears discounted in the price.

At a market cap of US 1 $ billion just see the kind of reach, infrastructure and brand that we are getting. That is about the same value that the market has assigned to many of these textile plays which would have been under debt from IDBI.
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
nav_1996

Quote nav_1996 Replybullet Posted: 10/Sep/2006 at 10:45am
Another concern I had was that recent profits(almost 50%) have come from sale of investments which is not sustainable. They need to improve their NIM quickly.

They also have stake various state infrastucture development corporations which is still at par in their balance sheet as per RBI directive but I guess these will need to be written off in future as most of these entities are defunct or their net worth totally eroded. But I am assuming that these should be compensated by other investments when they are marked to market. It is difficult to get these details and quantify as it is not in their annual report.
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 10/Sep/2006 at 10:54am
Yes, I went through the same but it does not get reflected there.At one point in time RJ was very bullish was this stock but that was last year.Once we get the NPA Adjusted BV things would be very easy it can be worked out also but I do not want to do this exercise as we may miss out something that si quite relevant. Deducting from the networth the NPA portion  and then dividing it by numebr of shares.

The adjusted BV will capture everything and I have found it the better way to evaluate Banks/FI's . In these industries the PE reflects little.
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
nav_1996

Quote nav_1996 Replybullet Posted: 12/Sep/2006 at 10:56pm
Basant,

How will UWB's merger with IDBI impact IDBI. -ve is that IDBI is paying 28/share but +ve is that it gets to double its branches. I guess considering size of IDBI's balance sheet, it should not have any material impact on IDBI's financials.

Thanks
Nawendu
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 12/Sep/2006 at 11:22pm
I have not studies that in detail but I would go with your assesement. UWB market cap at Rs 115 crores is 3% of IDBI's so even if all of that Goes down the drain IDBI shall recover the money in one year of operation.

The markets may take oit negatively but to me it does not matter or for a long term investor could be beneficial since it gives IDBi a head start.

I am not sure how UWB's book value is reflected at rs 62 maybe it has not been adjusted for the NPA's!
IP IP Logged
nav_1996

Quote nav_1996 Replybullet Posted: 12/Sep/2006 at 11:46pm
I think you are correct this BV is not adjusted for NPAs. Adujusting for Net NPAs BV should be around 21 to 22. That is what market is pricing it at. Markets do get efficient
IP IP Logged
deveshkayal

Quote deveshkayal Replybullet Posted: 12/Sep/2006 at 12:03pm
Pradeep Bavnani(not sure if surname is correct) made a fortune by investing in UWB(15% stake) Shares when it dipped sharply after a moratorium announcement and with Rs 28/share by IDBI he maybe on the list of  greatest investor correct me if made a mistake 
IP IP Logged
Page  of 10 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version