Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Portfolio Check Up
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Portfolio Check Up
Message Icon Topic: My Investing Strategy Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 352 Next >>
prabhakarkudva

Online Status: Offline
Quote prabhakarkudva Replybullet Posted: 24/Apr/2011 at 8:47pm
Unless there is panic in the markets and or there is a one-off company specific event there are going to be no free lunches.

These are extremely good companies,that are discovered and they will almost never trade cheap relative to other companies because everytime they fall someone smart will come in and buy.

Titan went all the way till 3100 and it was a great opportunity to pick it up at 31 times trailing but then other inferior stocks were trading at 10-15 times and to some of us 31 times will seem expensive then.

The same PE debate has been going on for Page,Titan since they were trading at half the price.So there is no right answer.One has to learn to pay for quality because in the end quality will pay you.And good quality will always trade expensive to other stocks - so this a trap.

As long as these companies are not exorbitantly expensive it makes sense to keep buying these companies because they have years of growth ahead of them.
Take your chances and keep them in a box until a quieter time.
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 24/Apr/2011 at 9:41pm
I have tried my bitSmile

Originally posted by MR TED

Originally posted by nikhil090

basantji,

While the last 2 years have been fantastic for stocks like page, hawkins and titan, what about fresh allocations. As a salaried employee I keep on getting salary every month out of which I want to make some allocations for the stock I do like.

Are the stocks in TED11, a buy or hold at current prices?

Guess unless we do something about this, this question will soon be the maximum post in TED Smile
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
subu76

Quote subu76 Replybullet Posted: 24/Apr/2011 at 11:12pm
I think the reason why it's easier for us to buy Mutual Funds during a bull market is that we don't know about the exact stocks the money is going to.

I remember when i started off in 2007 armed with reading a few books on WB and Lynch i could never buy stocks with conviction since all stocks were at a high PE and yet i would easily shell out my SIPs to MFs.

IP IP Logged
value
Groupie
Groupie

Quote value Replybullet Posted: 24/Apr/2011 at 11:25pm
Markets dont know that ur getting fixed salary every month ;)
As a good trick, u can securitize ur future income and invest when the prices are low in the mkts! This is how most businessmen operate. For example - if ur getting 1lac pm, u can easily take a loan of 12lacs and put, if and only if u think prices in the mkts are dirt cheap!

Originally posted by nikhil090

basantji,

While the last 2 years have been fantastic for stocks like page, hawkins and titan, what about fresh allocations. As a salaried employee I keep on getting salary every month out of which I want to make some allocations for the stock I do like.

Are the stocks in TED11, a buy or hold at current prices?
IP IP Logged
rosicrucian

Quote rosicrucian Replybullet Posted: 25/Apr/2011 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by basant

It takes me hardly one hour to analyze a company but making up my mind (the second part of B above) takes a few days or a even a few weeks at times 

Well, how much time one is required depends on the source of the data too.
If we get data arranged properly like money control.com,it takes less time.

But Money control data is often erratic and cant be trusted with closed eyes.
myiris too has become much severe now.
only option available is to get the same from company site,which takes too much time.
IP IP Logged
rinkumalpani

Quote rinkumalpani Replybullet Posted: 25/Apr/2011 at 3:40pm

Remember TED XI is not a sectoral fund nor it is Basant's XI it is a standard benchmark of some companies from almost all sectors. If we have beaten all MFs and Indices with a TED XI think what a TED Super5 would have done.  So while I may hold a few of the TED XI names, my personal portfolio need to be completely the same as TED XI because I am ok with putting all my money in one sector at times not so much for a portfolio that is visible to the common

....i dont know basantji how to put it... ...agreed that TEdxi is not a sectoral fund or basant xi..but then i suppose this is a forum tracked by many laymens..now, no one is asking them to emulate ted xi, but if some still do , they only do this because they hold you and this forum at high regards.... since the stocks in TEDXI are chosen by you, and then at some point of time you believe that some of them are not gud enuf at that point of time, dont you think those folowers should be having a hint of this.....no specific buy or sell calls but a hint/discussion asto why that stock should not be there anymore... no specific details as to what you are doing in ur portfoilio (thats none of their business)but if ur conviction level in certain stocks of TEd xi falls....and the same stock still lies in ted xi..i dont think that serves the purpose of TED.....after all TED is suppose to be a forum where one can keep on learning continuously.....

..the post might look a bit crude..and my apologies for that...hope am not misunderstood..thanks
IP IP Logged
prabhakarkudva

Quote prabhakarkudva Replybullet Posted: 25/Apr/2011 at 4:12pm
If i may - there are 3000+ stocks out there and we have narrowed it down to 11 haven't we.

Tomorrow if Basant Maheshwari comes out with a Super 5 the laymen will ask which two out these 5 do you like the most.As a person he or anyone cannot take the onus of the financial destinies of hundreds of unknown laymen (some of whom might not even afford to lose money) by telling them what they should do with their money. So if he says i like Titan the most,go and buy it now and someone puts half his net worth into it and god forbid if it does not work out - who is to blame?Its not fair to expect someone to take that burden.So lets be fair and use TED to learn about stock analysis,ask  questions about businesses but in the end use our own judgement to buy/sell stocks.

TED XI is a guidepost and it should be used like that.

Take your chances and keep them in a box until a quieter time.
IP IP Logged
trushik
Groupie
Groupie

Quote trushik Replybullet Posted: 25/Apr/2011 at 4:21pm
Well I have to admit there is a lot more to TED then just TED XI stocks... the senior members in TED have some exceptional knowledge to impart... which I can assure no other business school can provide... The TED XI stocks is one green leaf of this huuuge TED Tree!

These are my personal views... anyone may or may not agree with them!
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 352 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version