Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Identifying Multibaggers
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Identifying Multibaggers
Message Icon Topic: DIshTV replaces ABNuvo inTheEquityDesk XI Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote basant Replybullet Topic: DIshTV replaces ABNuvo inTheEquityDesk XI
    Posted: 29/May/2007 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by kulman

Okay, now if one wants to increase positions (during corrections) wouldn't it be better to buy NW18 as compared to TV18? Consider that it is for a diversified portfolio which has more allocation at present to NW18 already.

Dish-TV: you had explained about the opportunity available & visibility. Considering that Birla jee's retail venture MORE is not out of any listed entity, and on top of that this Call Option scare for Insurance JVs, wouldn't it be fair to replace AB Nuvo with Dish TV in TED-XI?

Kulmanjee. Point finally taken. We are replacing Aditya Birla Nuvo  with DIsh TV. I was talking to a senior man who follows the media industry very closely he said that CAS/DTH will happen - even the Govt. wants it now.

While you could argue and allege that just because DISH has gone up over the past few days we are including it here but the point is that in the past few days Aditya Birla Nuvo has gone up as well.SO this is an adjustrment which no one could say is biased.

The risks of the portfolio being skewed in favour of the media sector is certainly there but it suits our concept of diversifying risk by buying sector leaders.
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
India_Bull

Quote India_Bull Replybullet Posted: 29/May/2007 at 6:33pm
Hi,

I have already replaced ABN and added GBN sometime back (I dont repent on seeing ABN going high as GBN has also done extremely well)

My reason for ABN out is Birla is laggard in terms of creating shareholder value and I am not interested in other businesses of birla even though I get it as free !!!

About Dish TV, even though it has first mover advantage, how do you analyse the possible entry of Bharti, Sun etc in this space which is likely by end of this year.?
India_Bull forever Bull !
www.kapilcomedynights.com
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 29/May/2007 at 7:36pm
DIsh TV has a head start with 2 million subscribers.The market is just too big. if someone has to think it should be the new comers. Over a period of 3-4 years it would not matter whether you bought dish, nw18 or tv18 - that is my thought for instnace an investor who bought early into the tech cycle would not be complainting if he bought Satyam and missed Infy!!!

KM Birla has been a disapointment. Aditya Birla Nuvo   is not in the top 3 in any of the businesses insurance,branded retail nor telecom! So while Aditya Birla Nuvo  shall do well it could underperform the other options in our XI.

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
vivekkumar_in

Quote vivekkumar_in Replybullet Posted: 29/May/2007 at 10:41pm
What about credibility of the management of DishTV ? There are some questions since it comes from Zee..
Often we forget there's a company behind every stock,and there's only one reason why stocks go up. Companies go from doing poorly to doing well or small companies grow to large companies.
P Lynch
IP IP Logged
vivekkumar_in

Quote vivekkumar_in Replybullet Posted: 29/May/2007 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by basant

GBN is the 12th man!!!

Actually would you would put DishTV ahead of GBN ? While DishTV is already in the TED-XI. You are only having GBN as the 12 th man.

Often we forget there's a company behind every stock,and there's only one reason why stocks go up. Companies go from doing poorly to doing well or small companies grow to large companies.
P Lynch
IP IP Logged
nikhil090

Quote nikhil090 Replybullet Posted: 29/May/2007 at 12:34pm

Does Dish TV make a good buy at these prices? what about Network 18?

IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 29/May/2007 at 10:07am
Originally posted by vivekkumar_in

Originally posted by basant

GBN is the 12th man!!!

Actually would you would put DishTV ahead of GBN ? While DishTV is already in the TED-XI. You are only having GBN as the 12 th man.

See DIsh is a new space - distribution. So if ZEE does well or Star or Sony or GBN's new channel all money WILL flow to DIsh. It is really a derisked model hence the idea to get dish ahead of GBN also we are playing a bit of GBN through NW18!

Over a period of 3 years I do not think it should matter because if DIsh does well Tv18 should do well - they would be able to monetise its programmes with digitization.

NW18 looks atrractive.
IP IP Logged
deveshkayal

Quote deveshkayal Replybullet Posted: 29/May/2007 at 10:16am
I have been thinking of exiting AB Nuvo for the past ten days.Will be deploying the same in NW18 so that it constitutes atleast 5% of my portfolio.I dont hold Dish TV.I see no reason to worry about the management of Dish, Subhash Chandra is more focussed now.There were rumours recently that Pradeep Guha may be quiting.But Zee officials have denied it.PG is a great guy,he is an ex-TOI employee.

"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version