Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Trading Psychology
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Trading Psychology
Message Icon Topic: How to spot when the market hits a top Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
Circuit

Online Status: Offline
Quote Circuit Replybullet Topic: How to spot when the market hits a top
    Posted: 08/Nov/2009 at 8:52am
How to spot when the market hits a top              
Because three out of four stocks, regardless of how "good" they are, will eventually follow the trend of the 

general market, it is important to learn how to spot when the market is hitting a top

After four or five days of distribution, the general market will normally turn down

Using this approach it is fairly easy to spot the top in the bull market

Distribution

1 Index moves down on increased volume, or

2 a day's attempted advance stalling [very little change in price] on greater volume than the day before

3 Also, when the index stalls and closes up slightly for the day, but the net gain is significantly less 

than the net gain on the prior two days of big increases in the index

4 Also, it closes in the lower part of that day's spread [from high to low] on enormous volume

i.e., the index moves up much less than the day before, while increased large volume occurs
Four days of distribution, if correctly spotted over a two- or three-week period, are often enough to turn

a previously advancing market into a decline

Sometimes, distribution could be spread over six or seven weeks if the market attempts to rally back to new highs
When I see four clear distribution days, I will start looking for stocks that are giving indications 

they should be sold or trimmed back

I check this every day because I don't want to miss the few days when these distribution signals may

suddenly appear with no prior warning

To be naïve, unaware, uninformed, or not on the job almost always costs you money

Once you spot four or five distribution days, you should stop all buying and even cut back your positions

From some later point, the market index will always attempt to rebound and turn upward - this we call a rally
Don't get drawn into the first or second day of any rally, after you have seen four or five definite distribution days
It could be a false rally

The market is now turning into a downtrend, and you don't want to buy anything until the market signals a

clear and powerful "follow-through" day, which usually occurs between the fourth and seventh day 

of an attempted rally

There is no reason for individual investors to be fully invested in stocks from that top to the ultimate market bottom

if they had studied and used this method

Markets never go down by accident

The information and signals are always there

Sadly, ignorance, ego, pride, wishful thinking, vacillation and unrealistic hoping usually prevent people

from objectively analyzing the market indices and making sell decisions correctly

This is how you analyze the law of supply and demand at work each day in this market index

It's detailed

It's important

If you don't understand how to interpret this market action, you'll just lose a lot more money because

you've missed a clear seling opportunity

Anyone observing these eight distribution days would have sold some stock

When the next attempted rally or two failed, they would have sold some more

Every rally attempt failed until the first valid "follow-through" day occurred on the fourth-through-seventh

day of the attempted rally

At that time, it is once again safe to re-enter the market and begin to buy

IP IP Logged
hit2710

Quote hit2710 Replybullet Posted: 09/Nov/2009 at 7:45pm
The current upmove has been sharp after almost 9 days of fall.

I was observing the volumes in nifty futures charts and except for 5/11 the volumes including those for today have not been encouraging. Smacks of short covering.

I also tried to look at the volumes of pivotals like Reliance and L&T and found similar observations. On both these counters I find that the volumes have decreased on a day to day basis on nse and the prices have moved up.

Most of the stocks and the index itself are quite close to the 61.8% retracements of their recent falls and next few days should indicate the direction of the markets. It needs to be seen whether nifty can clear the resistance zone of around 4930-4950.

To me it looks like a distribution kind of pattern. I would like to know your views, Circuitji.
Stockmarket is a weird place. For every person who buys a stock there is a person who sells it and both think they are very smart.
IP IP Logged
Eagle14

Quote Eagle14 Replybullet Posted: 27/Mar/2010 at 6:19pm
I totally disagree with the opion expressed in this article. The $30 or £30 asked is a small price to pay for improving security and improved performance. Although is true that companies should not ask more money for improvements to the software that should have been delivered in the first place. Its also true that most security exploits are only exposed sometime after the mass release of the OS. Furthermore it is very expensive to maintain a big team of people dedicated to improving a product that was finished rather then having the same team working on a new version.
On a windows machine most people have to pay the amount or even more just for the year membership of their anti-virus, to some extent I would mind paying that much everyear to see security and performance improvements to mac OS.
==============
Promotional Products
Bird Removal

IP IP Logged
manish_okhade

Quote manish_okhade Replybullet Posted: 27/Mar/2010 at 9:51pm
Enough money is lost in waiting for market to correct than in correction itself - Peter Lynch
IP IP Logged
vaib

Quote vaib Replybullet Posted: 28/Mar/2010 at 9:50am
As I noticed Indian market has quite followed US markets. And Dow has gone up from 10000 to 10800, so markets are quite inline with the US markets. Corrections if any should be small. Besides that I remember reading up US grwoth was 4-5% on QoQ and jobless ppl were lesser than the expected. So I feel ride is going to be there for a while. Nevertheless if fall happens then Indian markets would be in free fall :P.
IP IP Logged
shivkumar

Quote shivkumar Replybullet Posted: 28/Mar/2010 at 10:58am
read The Daily Reckoning. You will surely turn bearish on the US!!!!
IP IP Logged
abhishekbasu

Quote abhishekbasu Replybullet Posted: 29/Mar/2010 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by shivkumar

read The Daily Reckoning. You will surely turn bearish on the US!!!!

I have been reading the Daily Reckoning for a number of years now. I would be very,very skeptical to take its views to formulate my opinion. Daily Reckoning is perpetually bearish (in the garb of being value investors--if you have time glance through their archives of over 10 years and you will see what I mean). Being bearish also has its constituents and its easy to say "See, I told you so, when markets fall". As behavioral economists suggests, loss is more painful to people than an equal amount of gain, people would tend to remember "soothsayers" who predicted the market fall.

Closer home, you can see the same effect with Shankar Sharma's stardom when he "called" the market top. When the same person made a call that the market is going to 12000 when the sensex was at 14000 and it subsequently moved to 17500 (now), nobody seems to remember his call that went wrong!!

IP IP Logged
camanoj

Quote camanoj Replybullet Posted: 29/Mar/2010 at 12:47pm
If daily reckoning always has same view (bearish i.e), I wonder why you have been reading it for so long!

If i don't get bread at a local store for a few times, I stop going there for bread.
Manoj
IP IP Logged
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version