Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Investment resources - The Knowledge Buzz
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Investment resources - The Knowledge Buzz
Message Icon Topic: Basant's Corner - Coming Soon Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 35 Next >>
Kabootar

Online Status: Offline
Quote Kabootar Replybullet Posted: 20/Oct/2011 at 12:23pm
Basantji,
please bring back the equity desk XI, or something like it....
Verbal diarrhoea! A most deadly disease.
IP IP Logged
wiseowl

Quote wiseowl Replybullet Posted: 20/Oct/2011 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Shawshank

There are many people out there in this forum who cannot afford that kind of pricing.

The paid subscription works out to 15k per year. Assuming that this is equivalent of asset management fee of 3%, anyone hoping to invest less than 5 lakhs a year is bound to find it expensive.

You alone are responsible for your actions.
IP IP Logged
LearningToFly

Quote LearningToFly Replybullet Posted: 20/Oct/2011 at 11:12am
It is not a question of affording 1200 Rs per month. All of us can afford it. I mean we spend this much when we go for drink. Isn't it. It is just that in case of investing, we have been habituated to get free and wrong nonsense by every tom, dick, and harry. How many of us really think twice before paying 200 bucks for a useless movie.

1200 Rs a month from Basantji is very reasonable. Do not forget the lessons we learn from him. The PMS advisers do not give you lesson.
Success... at all cost.
IP IP Logged
Monkey

Quote Monkey Replybullet Posted: 20/Oct/2011 at 11:23am
Originally posted by LearningToFly

It is not a question of affording 1200 Rs per month. All of us can afford it. I mean we spend this much when we go for drink. Isn't it. It is just that in case of investing, we have been habituated to get free and wrong nonsense by every tom, dick, and harry. How many of us really think twice before paying 200 bucks for a useless movie.

1200 Rs a month from Basantji is very reasonable. Do not forget the lessons we learn from him. The PMS advisers do not give you lesson.

Well.........one needs to anyway pay about 2% as fee to mutual funds, just for passive investing. If one wants to aspire for active investing, one needs to be prepared to pay more than just 2%.

Besides, learning is priceless. I will anyday prefer to pay to learn how to fish rather thn getting fish free.

This fee of Rs. 1250/- per month is actually very cheap, given the quality. I was quite surprised at such low charges.

IP IP Logged
prudentinvestor

Quote prudentinvestor Replybullet Posted: 20/Oct/2011 at 11:33am

Kindly note that nobody is questioning the prices as being unreasonable. As pointed out earlier this is in fact a bargain given the quality and exposure Basant ji will provide to the subscribers to this service.

There are students/ minor investors whose perspective may be more academic and for them spending upfront 15K ( and not monthly 1250/- )  to avail the service may not be feasible.

As pointed out, if your invest able surplus is less than 5 lakhs, paying more than 3% in charges will eat up one's returns substantially.

For people without substantial free cash flows, spending 200 bucks once a while for movies may not be substantial but paying 15000 bucks for advisory will be.

"All you need for a lifetime of successful investing is a few big winners, and the pluses from those will overwhelm the minuses from the stocks that don’t work out..” - Peter Lynch
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 20/Oct/2011 at 11:37am
This is all about capitalism and free markets isn't it? What about someone managing a Rs 1 crore portfolio and getting subscribed for this? It cuts both ways.
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
hit2710

Quote hit2710 Replybullet Posted: 21/Oct/2011 at 12:20pm
I have had a lot of experience of subscriptions to a variety of services before I joined TED and they charge minimum of Rs 3000 onwards for services and provide absolutely garbage services. I dont know if I am allowed to name these services on the forum.

So BM charging around 1250 per month is absolutely a no brainer as his credentials have been proven on this forum since a long time.
Stockmarket is a weird place. For every person who buys a stock there is a person who sells it and both think they are very smart.
IP IP Logged
Monkey

Quote Monkey Replybullet Posted: 21/Oct/2011 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by prudentinvestor

Kindly note that nobody is questioning the prices as being unreasonable. As pointed out earlier this is in fact a bargain given the quality and exposure Basant ji will provide to the subscribers to this service.

There are students/ minor investors whose perspective may be more academic and for them spending upfront 15K ( and not monthly 1250/- )  to avail the service may not be feasible.

As pointed out, if your invest able surplus is less than 5 lakhs, paying more than 3% in charges will eat up one's returns substantially.

For people without substantial free cash flows, spending 200 bucks once a while for movies may not be substantial but paying 15000 bucks for advisory will be.

In my opinion, it is all about geting the priorities right, especially if one does not have great income. If investible surplus is less than 5 lacs and monthly savings is not substantial then it is all the more important to get quality advise and get biggest possible bang for the buck. 3% might look expensive compared to investible funds. However, outperformance one can achieve with high quality advise can more than compensate for that.

Besides, "no free cash flow" argument is often spacious, in my opinion. I have seen young people spending more than Rs. 1000/- in just one night. Just have a look at mobile phones they carry. If they can carry expensvie handsets, wear expensive branded cloths and still does not have free cash flow, it is their problem. In urban life style, most of the prople have opportunity to cut some expenses somewhere to generate some surplus to be deployed for long term wealth creation.

If someone does not have any scope of cutting the expenses and income is just about meeting expenses then that is serious issue. In such case, one needs to seriousy think about ways to increase income, may be changing the job, may be doing something like part time tution etc to generate some surplus. In such cases, investing takes back seat compared to income generation.

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 35 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version