Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Stock Synopsis
 The Equity Desk Forum :Investment Ideas - Creating winning portfolios! :Stock Synopsis
Message Icon Topic: The Gitas and the Bibles of Investment! Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 108 Next >>
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 14/Jun/2012 at 11:15am
Hello, I have not read that so would not have an opinion on the same.
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
sriganeshh

Quote sriganeshh Replybullet Posted: 15/Jun/2012 at 12:02pm
basant ji,

ok. Thanks for your quick reply.
IP IP Logged
subu76

Quote subu76 Replybullet Posted: 25/Jun/2012 at 9:14am
The 80/20 book guy makes some interesting observations about stocks.
While the book covers many other ideas here is a summary from the Money section specifically about stocks.

1. Look to earn more from investments than from job income
2. Concentration and long term holding
3. Look for accelerated earning growth

4. He just does not sell winning stocks.
5. He sells stocks once they fall 15% from the top no matter what.

He makes the point that over the long run no one loses by holding an index fund or by holding a basket of stocks. However, this principle does not apply to a single stock. He has seen multiple investors lose a lot of money on a single stock by refusing to sell.

I find myself vehemently in agreement with 5. While so far I'd sell a stock once I lose 20-30% never really thought of the idea of selling at a fixed percentage below the top.

Edited by subu76 - 25/Jun/2012 at 9:16am
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 25/Jun/2012 at 9:25am
Originally posted by subu76

He sells stocks once they fall 15% from the top no matter what.

Not sure if that makes sense in today's volatile environment how can you hold a big winner if you can't take even a 15% drawdown?
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
subu76

Quote subu76 Replybullet Posted: 25/Jun/2012 at 11:35am
Originally posted by basant

He sells stocks once they fall 15% from the top no matter what.

Not sure if that makes sense in today's volatile environment how can you hold a big winner if you can't take even a 15% drawdown?

Yup. I guess that is the problem with any hard number.

Barring the 15% point I think his line of thinking seems to be very much aligned your approach
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 26/Jun/2012 at 12:04pm
If you are following (5) than you need a plan to get back in also because one can't hope to find new high growth companies every 6 months.

Basically this 15%rule makes zero sense it is better to focus on earnings disappointments than on price falls.
IP IP Logged
rapidriser

Quote rapidriser Replybullet Posted: 26/Jun/2012 at 7:21pm

T
5. He sells stocks once they fall 15% from the top no matter what.

I find myself vehemently in agreement with 5. While so far I'd sell a stock once I lose 20-30% never really thought of the idea of selling at a fixed percentage below the top.

Unfortunately, I find myself in vehement disagreement. The whole idea of buying a stock when it is cheap would have to be rewritten if we were to follow this. Even TTK Prestige - a stock in a clear uptrend for last 3 years, had many corrections exceeding 15% during that period.

When all else is lost, the future still remains. - Christian Nestell Bovée
IP IP Logged
prudentinvestor

Quote prudentinvestor Replybullet Posted: 26/Jun/2012 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by basant

If you are following (5) than you need a plan to get back in also because one can't hope to find new high growth companies every 6 months.

Basically this 15%rule makes zero sense it is better to focus on earnings disappointments than on price falls.

Exactly, a price fall should not be reason at all to sell your long term holdings. As recently as a few months, TITAN tanked to 160 levels, should an investor be following this rule, he should be out of TITAN by now. But stocks with good fundamental vehemently rebounds to make higher highs.

Sell should be warranted by deteriorating fundamentals and that alone.
"All you need for a lifetime of successful investing is a few big winners, and the pluses from those will overwhelm the minuses from the stocks that don’t work out..” - Peter Lynch
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 108 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version