Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Personal Finance - Startegies
 The Equity Desk Forum :Personal Finance & Lifestyle-Strategies & problems :Personal Finance - Startegies
Message Icon Topic: Basant Sir on CNBC TV-18 ! Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 25 Next >>
ash7979

Online Status: Offline
Quote ash7979 Replybullet Posted: 21/Jul/2011 at 10:24am
Originally posted by basant

The video on Holding companies is right now at No. 2 on the list of popular videos at MoneyCOntrol!

The one on Page and Hawkins is at Page 3. Seems like a lot of Teddies have been sharing these videos with friends and relatives!!!

Check this link:

Basantji, its not like that...ppls appreciate good quality advice from knowledgeable person like you & other analyst but I dont think other analyst can match your quality of thought & most important "Honest Advice"...as most of the Analyst come on TV & their advice always has vested interest...I think TEDDies still remember that Ambreesh Baliga case (Buy call on Koutons )...

Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free....
IP IP Logged
bhowman
Groupie
Groupie

Quote bhowman Replybullet Posted: 21/Jul/2011 at 10:37am

Originally posted by kumarn

Basant sir, you have a striking resemblance to my favorite professor at the engineering college I went to! Even your aggression, logical thoughts and forceful articulation of them matches his. Watching you reminded me of that great professor.

Thank you all.

In life one should take a stand whether you get it right or wrong is another issue and this is a thought that I follow very closely.

A courageous statement!
That which is so far is actually so near.
IP IP Logged
bobdylan

Quote bobdylan Replybullet Posted: 22/Jul/2011 at 7:01am
congratulations basantji,was cutoff from tv,net for a week
IP IP Logged
balak2

Quote balak2 Replybullet Posted: 31/Jul/2011 at 3:52pm
Good work Basantji, looking forward for your future appearances on TV.

In your interview, you said:

Godrej Industries , it has fantastic company called Godrej Properties . For four-five years, it did very well between 2003 and 2007 because investors who wanted to buy Godrej Properties couldn’t buy Godrej Properties. The only option was to buy Godrej Industries. But now if Godrej Properties is listed and if I am bullish on Godrej Properties, I will go and buy Godrej Properties. Why should I go and buy Godrej Industries?

I understand that Godrej Industries would effectively be beneficiary of 82.4% of profits of Godrej Properties through its direct 40% share in profits and its 70.6% stake

So, in this case, even if I am bullish on Godrej Properties, why should I go for it rather than Godrej Industries?
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 31/Jul/2011 at 5:13pm
That was just an example I am bullish on neither.

Originally posted by balak2

Good work Basantji, looking forward for your future appearances on TV.

In your interview, you said:

Godrej Industries , it has fantastic company called Godrej Properties . For four-five years, it did very well between 2003 and 2007 because investors who wanted to buy Godrej Properties couldn’t buy Godrej Properties. The only option was to buy Godrej Industries. But now if Godrej Properties is listed and if I am bullish on Godrej Properties, I will go and buy Godrej Properties. Why should I go and buy Godrej Industries?

I understand that Godrej Industries would effectively be beneficiary of 82.4% of profits of Godrej Properties through its direct 40% share in profits and its 70.6% stake

So, in this case, even if I am bullish on Godrej Properties, why should I go for it rather than Godrej Industries?
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
balak2

Quote balak2 Replybullet Posted: 31/Jul/2011 at 5:50pm

That was just an example I am bullish on neither.

Thanks for your reply Basantji. I am quite a beginner in the capital markets and still learning the tricks of the trade.

I have invested in Godrej Industries as I was partially bullish on Godrej Properties. In hindsight, I feel I should have picked Godrej Consumer Products out of the Godrej group of companies.

Just wanted to ask you a general question, say, a stock is trading at a PE of 50 and the future earnings growth estimated is at 40%, should it be considered for investment?
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 31/Jul/2011 at 5:54pm
If that 40% comes with some sort of predictive repitition then one can invest but generally for newcomers it is better to start with noted trusted names.

Yes, between the three Godrej companies I like consumer as the best but that is njsut between the three.
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
anandv
Groupie
Groupie

Quote anandv Replybullet Posted: 31/Jul/2011 at 10:16pm
@balak2 - Welcome to investing, What Basant Sir says about choosing well known names is very true. Initial days of investing, you will encounter a lot of dilemma and doubt. Following a safe mode till you understand your own impulses to market movements will ensure a long investing experience. TED and Basantji are excellent mentors in this. I have really been fortunate to have been shown TED. It has created a lot of investor sense in me. Also see if you can read Intelligent Investor by Benjamim Graham.

Admin - please remove or move the post to some place else if this is not the right place.

Edited by anandv - 31/Jul/2011 at 10:16pm
Investing - Just Do It.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 25 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version