Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Suggestions / Feedback
 The Equity Desk Forum :Welcome- Have you registered on our mailing list? :Suggestions / Feedback
Message Icon Topic: The Gitas and the Bibles of Investment! Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 108 Next >>
BubbleVision

Online Status: Offline
Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 04/Oct/2006 at 7:42pm

Infact this advice should me made in from of a screensaver in every traders Comp....It takes courage to be a pig.It takes courage to ride a profit with huge leverage.... When you right on something, you cant own enough

BasantJi  could you please write about your experience regarding this.....

This book is a must read and for that i must once again thank Kulman
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 04/Oct/2006 at 7:55pm
Bubble Vision we have had great discussion on this, remember the topic   Diversified vs. Concentrated portfolios Unless you are concentrated  you can't bet enough.

We also discussied this concept in the section  The concept of "Free shares".You need to hold on to that "winning" position once it starts giving you a profit.

I had listed down my experience in the section Mistakes we made- How we lost our first million(s). In hindsight I now think that what I thought was risky and lucky was the best way to make money in this market.

Edited by basant - 04/Oct/2006 at 7:59pm
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 04/Oct/2006 at 8:20pm
Yes i clearly remember..Infact i used the Pig quote back then also....
I thought that you have some new exp to add....
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 05/Oct/2006 at 7:40pm
For those who are interested in finding about scams in Indian markets, I would recommend following book:

THE SCAM: From Harshad Mehta to Ketan Parekh (includes JPC & GTB). Written by Debashis Basu & Sucheta Dalal (Kensource Publicn, Rs 250)

Authors are financial journalists and give a good account of events, chronology etc. Has a good chapter on Shankar Sharma of First Global & his wife Devina Mehra.

Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
s_praharaj

Quote s_praharaj Replybullet Posted: 05/Oct/2006 at 8:23pm
I was recently reading a book titled "What I Learned before I sold to Warren Buffet." A friend of mine sent me the e-book in internet. Its a interesting book written by Barnett C. Helzeberg of Helzeberg Diamonds, which later became a Warren Buffet Company. He has very nicely narrated, how he met Warren Buffet for the first time near the Plaza Hotel on the 58th street of New York. As he was walking in the street he heard someone accosted "Buffet". When he turned back he saw a lady shareholder talking something to Buffet. Buffet was listening to her patiently on the road side and replying. Here Mr Helzeberg saw an opportunity and accosted Buffet offering him to acquire his company, which has all the qualities of a Buffet acquisition. Buffet asked him to send the papers and promised confidentiality. The meeting lasted less than 30 seconds. But it resulted in Helzeberg Diamonds becomming a Buffet Company, without any change in Management.

This reminded me of the accidental meeting our Basant had with Mr Pronoy Roy. I have also seen Mr Roy in a couple of occasions while in Delhi, but I am little shy to accost a person I do not know or familiar with. Like Hezleberg, Basant also got the tip and changed from NDTV to TV18 for better.

However the book is not on successful investing or on stockmarket investing. Its a book very beautifully written on how to devolop a successful enterprise.The book is full of practical examples and advices on how to run a company and take it to greater heights. Afterall its not every company that Warren Buffet acquires. The book is full of tips and advices on how to devolop your own personality and make a successful company.At the end of each chapter, there is a caption with a heading
"Mining for Diamonds" and it shows through bullet points the principles that one should follow to become a successful enterpreneur and human being.

I have the book in pdf format.
If anybody requires it, can give me the e-mail address, so that I can send it.
Shashi Praharaj
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 05/Oct/2006 at 8:30pm
This reminded me of the accidental meeting our Basant had with Mr Pronoy Roy. I have also seen Mr Roy in a couple of occasions while in Delhi, but I am little shy to accost a person I do not know or familiar with. Like Hezleberg, Basant also got the tip and changed from NDTV to TV18 for better

You know I also had this feeling of what if he refuses to talk but once you put in 15% - 25% of your portfolio into that stock the whole shyness vanishes
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
India_Bull

Quote India_Bull Replybullet Posted: 08/Oct/2006 at 12:57pm
This list is really excellent and one must go thru these books. I have read few books out of these list but I liked "One up on wall street". An excellent book in a very simple language which makes it easy for a novice to read.
There are no. of theories and books available about investment philosophy, however my experience (thouh little) tells me that one needs to have control over greed and fear. rest of the tings will be taken care...
India_Bull forever Bull !
www.kapilcomedynights.com
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 16/Oct/2006 at 1:58pm
For all you Buffet fans... here is a report on his secrets you can download on this site....

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 108 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version