Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Suggestions / Feedback
 The Equity Desk Forum :Welcome- Have you registered on our mailing list? :Suggestions / Feedback
Message Icon Topic: The Gitas and the Bibles of Investment! Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 108 Next >>
kulman

Online Status: Offline
Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 23/Oct/2006 at 9:33pm
Shankar Sharma made an interesting observation during his talk on Diwali show about "Indians dominating world opinion/thinking!".

Now read this article on Karma Capitalism at Business Week. It is a great read on Gita & its practical preachings.

Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 03/Nov/2006 at 5:49pm
Here is an intresting presentation on Great  Traders

Edited by BubbleVision - 03/Nov/2006 at 5:53pm
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 03/Nov/2006 at 11:41pm

A small slide show on The Dharma Dons: A few of today's most prominent management thinkers of Indian descent.

IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 03/Nov/2006 at 11:48pm

BubbleVision, I downloaded that presentation on Great  Traders. It is interesting.

Strangely though the filename is "investors.ppt". So I changed the file name while saving on my PC otherwise Mungerilal kind of feeling will resurface!

IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 19/Nov/2006 at 7:14pm
This is an interesting read on the youn CEO's of India inc:

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
xbox

Quote xbox Replybullet Posted: 19/Nov/2006 at 4:48am
I wish that one day I get books written by Basant jee, Rakesh and Ramesh dhamani etc.
These will be more relevent to us and points to future sectors/businesses.
Don't bet on pig after all bull & bear in circle.
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 25/Dec/2006 at 7:30am
In the recent editions of Ben Graham's bible: "The Intelligent Investor", Jason Zweig has added his commentary on each chapter with modern day examples, which makes it very interesting & relevant for readers. Here is an excerpt from his comments on Chapter 1:

THE FINANCIAL VIDEO GAME

Wall Street made online trading sound like an instant way to mint money: Discover Brokerage, the online arm of the venerable firm of Morgan Stanley, ran a TV commercial in which a scruffy tow-truck driver picks up a prosperous-looking executive. Spotting a photo of a tropical beachfront posted on the dashboard, the executive asks, “Vacation?” “Actually,” replies the driver, “that’s my home.” Taken aback, the suit says, “Looks like an island.” With quiet triumph, the driver answers, “Technically, it’s a country.”

The propaganda went further. Online trading would take no work and require no thought. A television ad from Ameritrade, the online broker, showed two housewives just back from jogging; one logs on to her computer, clicks the mouse a few times, and exults, “I think I just made about $1,700!”

In a TV commercial for the Waterhouse brokerage firm, someone asked basketball coach Phil Jackson, “You know anything about the trade?” His answer: “I’m going to make it right now.” (How many games would Jackson’s NBA teams have won if he had brought that philosophy to courtside? Somehow, knowing nothing about the other team, but saying, “I’m ready to play them right now,” doesn’t sound like a championship formula.)

By 1999 at least six million people were trading online—and roughly a tenth of them were “day trading,” using the Internet to buy and sell stocks at lightning speed. Everyone from showbiz diva Barbra Streisand to Nicholas Birbas, a 25-year-old former waiter in Queens, New York, was flinging stocks around like live coals. “Before,” scoffed Birbas, “I was investing for the long term and I found out that it was not smart.” Now, Birbas traded stocks up to 10 times a day and expected to earn $100,000 in a year. “I can’t stand to see red in my profit-or-loss column,” Streisand shuddered in an interview with Fortune. “I’m Taurus the bull, so I react to red. If I see red, I sell my stocks quickly.”

By pouring continuous data about stocks into bars and barbershops, kitchens and cafés, taxicabs and truck stops, financial websites and financial TV turned the stock market into a nonstop national video game.

The public felt more knowledgeable about the markets than ever before. Unfortunately, while people were drowning in data, knowledge was nowhere to be found. Stocks became entirely decoupled from the companies that had issued them—pure abstractions, just blips moving across a TV or computer screen. If the blips were moving up, nothing else mattered.

On December 20, 1999, Juno Online Services unveiled a trailblazing business plan: to lose as much money as possible, on purpose. Juno announced that it would henceforth offer all its retail services for free—no charge for e-mail, no charge for Internet access—and that it would spend millions of dollars more on advertising over the next year.

On this declaration of corporate hara-kiri, Juno’s stock roared up from $16.375 to $66.75 in two days. Why bother learning whether a business was profitable, or what goods or services a company produced, or who its management was, or even what the company’s name was? All you needed to know about stocks was the catchy code of their ticker symbols: CBLT, INKT, PCLN, TGLO, VRSN, WBVN. That way you could buy them even faster, without the pesky two-second delay of looking them up on an Internet search engine. In late 1998, the stock of a tiny, rarely traded building-maintenance company, Temco Services, nearly tripled in a matter of minutes on record-high volume. Why? In a bizarre form of financial dyslexia, thousands of traders bought Temco after mistaking its ticker symbol, TMCO, for that of Ticketmaster Online (TMCS), an Internet darling whose stock began trading publicly for the first time that day.

Oscar Wilde joked that a cynic “knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing.” Under that definition, the stock market is always cynical, but by the late 1990s it would have shocked Oscar himself. A single half-baked opinion on price could double a company’s stock even as its value went entirely unexamined. In late 1998, Henry Blodget, an analyst at CIBC Oppenheimer, warned that “as with all Internet stocks, a valuation is clearly more art than science.” Then, citing only the possibility of future growth, he jacked up his “price target” on Amazon.com from $150 to $400 in one fell swoop. Amazon.com shot up 19% that day and—despite Blodget’s protest that his price target was a one-year forecast—soared past $400 in just three weeks. A year later, PaineWebber analyst Walter Piecyk predicted that Qualcomm stock would hit $1,000 a share over the next 12 months. The stock—already up 1,842% that year—soared another 31% that day, hitting $659 a share.

Edited by kulman - 25/Dec/2006 at 7:33am
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 25/Dec/2006 at 8:08am
Have you read "The Bull""? Please do so when ever you get hold of it.
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 108 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version