Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Build careers in Finance
 The Equity Desk Forum :Careers :Build careers in Finance
Message Icon Topic: Strategy to be used by a fresh graduates Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 14 Next >>
reetesh

Online Status: Offline
Quote reetesh Replybullet Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 10:11pm
Mr. Basant, I want a suggestion from you and this is off topic. I want to do something in finance I have done BE and currently doing training in Oracle Database, but I am more interested in Finance so planning to enrol for MBA or MS in Finance from ICFAI (both Part Time) which one is better I think MS because it is more or less a part time course through out, what would be your choice and why?

Regards,
Reetesh.
When going gets tough, that’s when tough (people) gets going.
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 10:26pm
Distance learning MBA would not carry much weight. It is better to look at the course content rather then the material value of the degree. If you are interested in hard core Investments (Finance) the ICFAI does has a short term (one year) program which they call CIIA (Certified International Investment ANalyst)  I had done this PG diploma about 10 years back and found it very interesting. Now if you really want to get a head on career in Finace then you should go in for the INTERNATIONAL CFA not the Indian one.

It is a bit costly but I would rate an international CFA on equal terms with an IIM MBA. You would get mroe details on their website www.aimr.com.

Otherwise MS in finance is also good but an Int CFA can get you a starting salary of about Rs 500k after you complete level 2 also. there are 3 levels in all. 
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
reetesh

Quote reetesh Replybullet Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 10:43pm

Sir there is one problem, I will have to do a course from ICFAI because I have already enrolled myself in MBA (Part Time) and paid 90% of fees already, but some how I have managed to change it to MS, I have option to choose between them so which one should I go for. I know part time MBA is of no use, I did`nt had clue about this when I enrolled but thats history, now what to do.

About CFA from CFA Institute, there is no information about Fees and duration of course, and about Curriculum also, so please let me know if you have any idea...

Regards,

Reetesh. 
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 10:51pm
Yes AIMR does not say anything on the website. It is costly and the whole course would cost around Rs 150,000 but we have to pay in 3 years.Can you send me a link to the curricullam of both these courses here. Would like to go through them.
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
reetesh

Quote reetesh Replybullet Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 11:16pm
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 12:16pm
This MS in finance looks like the old CFA course they were conducting it is good only from the knowledge point of view but very difficult if you are doing it alone (without a group)

The durations is also very long so you would need to wait. Frankly both the MS and part time MBA program are kind of looked upon as the same. Employers are looking for international CFA these days

I do not think that it would make a difference if you do either of them but the MS prog improves and sharpens the skills considerably.No doubt on that.
IP IP Logged
reetesh

Quote reetesh Replybullet Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 12:22pm

Then I think I wasted my money....

Can you tell me is MS a part time course all over...

Edited by basant - 13/Sep/2006 at 6:56am
IP IP Logged
prosperity

Quote prosperity Replybullet Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 12:36pm

Basant-ji,

Portfolio Mgmt, Economics, Finance is an area which always invities me and refreshes me ... Its a hobby that i want to take serioiusly..

I want to continue my Technical/Engineering profession finally leading to a Higher Mgmt/Technical Role in the same company ....

But i manage my portfolio actively and never want to go the PMS/MF way..

Also for pursuing my interest seriously - which is the best correspondence course which can give me maximum knowledge (no jobs/degree needed) and take minimum time, minimum energy and moderate course fees ?

Thanks !

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 14 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version