Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Trading Psychology
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Trading Psychology
Message Icon Topic: Would you rather be smart or lucky? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
chimak10

Online Status: Offline
Quote chimak10 Replybullet Topic: Would you rather be smart or lucky?
    Posted: 15/Aug/2010 at 12:29pm
I think people ignore one of the most required thing in life LUCK. be it of being in the right place at the right time or whatever.

Now i am an atheist of the upmost kind and i didn't use to believe in luck and all those things.

If you look at the dart board folio then the best returns were given by basantjee's pick and the worst and continuous worst returns were given by my pick. All the picks were done randomly can anyone explain this?

IP IP Logged
karn

Quote karn Replybullet Posted: 15/Aug/2010 at 9:05pm
Chimak, Its very short time to measure the luck factor unless you have assigned some time frame to the dart board portfolio. Luck is very important to get lucky most of the times if not every time.
“Invert, always invert.”
IP IP Logged
Circuit

Quote Circuit Replybullet Posted: 15/Aug/2010 at 9:34pm
If given an option of blessing between being Smart or Being Lucky, I will choose the later Embarrassed

Originally posted by chimak10

I think people ignore one of the most required thing in life LUCK. be it of being in the right place at the right time or whatever.
Fundamentalists and anticipators may have difficulties with risk control because a trade keeps looking ‘better’ the more it goes against them....Ed Seykota
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 15/Aug/2010 at 6:20am
Getting successful once is luck doing it regularly is skill. If you believe this you would rather be smart then lucky. A smart man (good judgment and skill) will always be called lucky because he is being successful A lucky man never hits the jackpot five times a in a row but a smart man can pick out five consecutive multibaggers !

To me luck is a hindsight name for success.

That is why I belive that all market timers and traders are lucky but if they have done it over a period of time then they are skillful rather then lucky question is who determines the period of time?

Originally posted by chimak10

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
manishdave

Quote manishdave Replybullet Posted: 15/Aug/2010 at 9:31am
In markets I would prefer not lucky rather than lucky. Reason is if you are lucky, you think you are smart. And you may lose 10 times more than your gain being lucky.

I have seen many one year wonders and then they can not come out of that shell for life. For example, if you made your first huge gain in sugars you can not abandon that sector for life and become sugar champion. But meanwhile you can lose many opportunities while sugar sector is doing nothing.
IP IP Logged
chimak10

Quote chimak10 Replybullet Posted: 16/Aug/2010 at 3:41pm
I completely agree with what basant bhai and manish bhai have said.

Yes smartness is very important. Skill is also important. And having the strong understanding of what you are doing is also important. Hard work is very important.

I am not trying to say basant bhai is just lucky otherwise i wouldn't be in this forum reading his posts. or ask him questions about equities and companies and wait for his opinion.

Obviously he is smarter and more intelligent then sundry mungeri's like me. My queri is more like why i lost out??????? i have been loser in many of life situation without any of my normal stupidity and without my fault.

Still i won't discount LUCK or destiny or whatever you name it, Be it born smart or intelligent as buffet calls wired certain way being logical and rational ........being healthy.......or winning   ovarian lottery by having rich or smart parents etc etc........having environment or situation that somehow helps you.

Or one of the most dangerest thing of having the balls of steel.

The dart board point still remains as enigma cause everyone picked stock at random and we had strong tailwind in last 2 months still i lost out. and basant bhai made the biggest money.

Edited by chimak10 - 16/Aug/2010 at 3:56pm
IP IP Logged
karn

Quote karn Replybullet Posted: 16/Aug/2010 at 4:49pm
Chimak Why ?
Cheer up Buddy.
Luck changes now and then, So I think you should not worry much about it. Just keep on doing your thing which you do the best. I can quote Gita's most famous Shloka but I wont, cause certain things are easy to understand and hard to follow. But hey, don't worry too much, it can over shadow your wisdom.
Cheers,
K.

Edited by karn - 16/Aug/2010 at 4:49pm
“Invert, always invert.”
IP IP Logged
Groupie
Groupie

Quote 1234 Replybullet Posted: 16/Aug/2010 at 5:20pm
i wouid like to be lucky in matters of finance, fitness and females in all other matters of life i want to be smart. 
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version