Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Equity Valuation Techniques
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Equity Valuation Techniques
Message Icon Topic: Indian Markets and the so called experts! Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 27 Next >>
chimak10

Online Status: Offline
Quote chimak10 Replybullet Posted: 26/Jun/2009 at 6:51pm
why should pepole be worried if they can consistently make 25k/day!!!......
IP IP Logged
FutureBull

Quote FutureBull Replybullet Posted: 26/Jun/2009 at 7:02pm
bcz they don't do what they are best for i.e. trading and keep a portfolio too for "long term" and make heavy notional losses on them..looks ironic but true.. which reinforces their belief in trading and keeping short term view..
‘The market always does what it’s supposed to — BUT NEVER WHEN’.
IP IP Logged
vsb2pwn

Quote vsb2pwn Replybullet Posted: 26/Jun/2009 at 8:26pm
Dear Basant Ji,

Though I am new to  The Equity Desk yet I read previous posts with avid interest. The thoughts expressed in these posts were quite thought provoking. The beauty of such thoughts in different forums, lies in the fact that you do not have to subscribe to the views expressed. On the contrary, it gives you a wonderful prospective from another man's point of view. At times this enables you to analyse and weigh your own viewpoint.

I relish these thought expressed in these forums as much as I relish the signature thoughts of various contributers.

" Euphoria " is what markets are all about. Have we sincerly pondered over a single point. What Drives The Market?

Every Investor does his homework on fundamentals/technicals and what not before entering the market and every investor gets carried over by the market euphoria once in awhile.

I am in equity invesing since pre- Harsad Mehta days. No electronic trading, No live TV channels and all that we used to rely upon was a telex of BSE  opening rates that used to reach Chandigarh around 11:30 AM. And then the markets europhia used to start. Number of times I also used to get carried over and did speculate. This was despite an excellent advise from a fellow investor "Losses are only when you speculate, But if you have analysed your shares well, there may be loss of profit but no loss."

I still get carried by this kinetic energy called market euphoria. That's the reason I trade from my home, Where I am seculded from any external force acting on my insight.

Having said that, still I want this euphoria to continue in traders, investors, market pundits, media and general public. Because their euphoria may even touch my counter.

I particularly liked your post on Pantaloon. I hope you remember as part of your homework on that counter your intraction with Taxi Driver, Ladies of the house and standing and watching people stepping in westend versus those stepping in Pantaloon did make sense. But all the same you wanted everyone to be euphoratic about this company that you had had anlysed and rightly predicted the future.

These over enthusastic media guys were eqully responsible to take share of Satyam to 22/- . Please  try to recollect the day after Raju's disclosure what all was being harped on every news channel. Today they are all bullish on this counter because of 20 Billion Unique ID project. They according to me are there for just "BREAKING NEWS"

How many of my esteemed friends on this forum really believe in the Breaking News segment {which is almost around the clock} on INDIA TV.
Yesterday they were predicting end Of Kalyug and the World On December 25th 2012.

Should I believe this or just walk merrily around my daily chores and let somebody else get euphoratic or even insane about it.

Excuse If you find my thoughts not in line with any contributer, but all the same these are my thoughts!!!!!
IP IP Logged
romanov
Groupie
Groupie

Quote romanov Replybullet Posted: 26/Jun/2009 at 10:03pm
Smile...Basant Sir you have opened up a Pandora's box.

My own two cents to this: TV channels and analyst are there to sensationalize the news so that there viewer ratings can be increased.Most of us(atleast I can speak for myself) who invest in  the Market have no way of doing Ground intensive research to evaluate a stock/or Business.

Ofcourse,we all try to do a little bit of research and groundwork before buying stocks,but I don't think that is ever enough.Everything can be manipulated -however I think the point that you are trying to make is "Rationalism".

I think the aforementioned topic should have been more focussed on "Who to Trust/What to trust/How to rationalize" --that could have helped the members more. 

This is generally what happens Wink:

1) Read Warren Buffet on his general outlook of the economy and investing in equity market.
There are so many others with varied opinions,it does not make sense listening those international analysts .

2) Read/Listen RJ for indian market on his general outlook of the Indian economy.
I trust him for two reasons,one his long term view is always that of Optimism and second he does not need to prove his point atleast on channels-so most of the time he speaks his mind out. 

3) Get motivatedBig%20smile-hope to become as rich as they are.

4) Come to TED,there are so many stocks that we have discussed in and out.Try to see which one are the most popular.Geek

e.g.:
AxisBank
Titan
Pantaloon
HDFC(Safer bet)
Voltas  etc,etc:

Hidden Gem Geek...explore more of this-may be you will find something that no one on TED has been able to do soSmile .Based on your risk appetite decide your equity allocation. (Smart Alecs-will never buy what is safe but will buy more risky stocks)

3) Go churn your Portfolio,allocate 70% of Money to stocks that are fundamentally good.Allocate 30% of the money to Stock that you think is your Luck star.

4) See your Stock price dropping as soon as you buy it.Confused
Reread 1 and 2,get motivated and swear to keep invested for Long term

5) Stock Prices drop some more.

6) Read/Listen to various Analysts for Fun,they can't differentiate 'A' from 'B'.Try to see what they say about your stock pick.
Get confused,get fearfull and sell out Stock that you picked above.

6) See the Price of stocks going up as soon as you sell it.
Rebuy them at higher price and swear never to hear the Jokers on TV again.

And the cycle repeats.

Motto:

To become exceptionaly rich(Triple Money-I won't guarantee more than thatLOL),Buy Fundamentally good and safe Stock when the market goes to 11,000 it may go down to 7,000 but you never know.

Hold it and don't loose conviction even if the entire Industry of Analysts starts screaming Sell-Sell.

Wait for a year Market starts moving up.Market crosses 12,000 don't buy now even if all the Analysts start shouting Buy-Buy and don't sell now even if all the Analysts start advisng to Book Profit. STAY PUT

Market reaches 24-26000 -Sell %age of your equity now and book Profits now if you have need for Money.Even if all the Analysts say Market will touch 30k.It may touch but you never know.

Wait for next cycle.

Happy TEDing.

Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good results.
IP IP Logged
DRMADHUPV

Quote DRMADHUPV Replybullet Posted: 26/Jun/2009 at 10:09pm
great eloquence and lovely disdain towards a shameful way of living
all my gains till date are due to analysis and TED helps alot u guys r so selfless i admire u lot

thanx
drmadhu

Edited by basant - 26/Jun/2009 at 10:43am
IP IP Logged
deveshkayal

Quote deveshkayal Replybullet Posted: 26/Jun/2009 at 10:16pm
There are those who have learnt from their experience in the markets (RJ,VB,SA) and there are those who haven't inspite of being in the markets from more than 10 years (UM,SS,RD)...

One should also look out for Sanjiv Duggal's view on the markets. He is one of the best fund manager according to me.
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett
IP IP Logged
vsb2pwn

Quote vsb2pwn Replybullet Posted: 26/Jun/2009 at 10:45pm

There is some serious flaw in the way the business channels operate. Either they are too stupid to understand their drawback or either too much hand in glove with the participants to create a psychology that they seem to have desired.

Basant Ji,

If ever I buy a media stock, the dominating factor as always is revenue earnings. Media Companies earn their revenues from corporate world by way of advertisements. Time tested formula to gauge a new public offering is to see aggressive advertising by a particular company. Some old timers always feel that any company doing aggresive corporate advertising campaign has always something up its sleeve- a initial public offering- a rights issue- a acquisition a merger or something else.

If a corporate entity is being regularly featured in talk shows on all channels that means  that company wants to put their message accross directly or indirectly. Is it not the same as you find leaders of all political parties in studios of every broadcaster during election time.

IP IP Logged
studentoflife

Quote studentoflife Replybullet Posted: 26/Jun/2009 at 7:13am
But one thing is sure ,it is this kind of corrupt behaviour which helps value investors earn a lot of money.People focus on momentum stock and let us get value stocks cheaply.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 27 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version