Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Portfolio Check Up
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Portfolio Check Up
Message Icon Topic: My Investing Strategy Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 352 Next >>
rinkumalpani

Online Status: Offline
Quote rinkumalpani Replybullet Posted: 25/Apr/2011 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by prabhakarkudva

If i may - there are 3000+ stocks out there and we have narrowed it down to 11 haven't we.Tomorrow if Basant Maheshwari comes out with a Super 5 the laymen will ask which two out these 5 do you like the most.As a person he or anyone cannot take the onus of the financial destinies of hundreds of unknown laymen (some of whom might not even afford to lose money) by telling them what they should do with their money. So if he says i like Titan the most,go and buy it now and someone puts half his net worth into it and god forbid if it does not work out - who is to blame?Its not fair to expect someone to take that burden.So lets be fair and use TED to learn about stock analysis,ask  questions about businesses but in the end use our own judgement to buy/sell stocks.TED XI is a guidepost and it should be used like that.

i knew i am bad at placing my points aptly and might be misunderstood ...but then no one is blaming anyone for anything....BASANTJEE IS A GEM OF A PERSON and will always have high regards for him....and TED, for me, will always be the best learning school for investment.....i just could not understand the reason as to why the stoccks were in TEDXI when tedxi is suppose to be a long only pfolio..and then eveen when it looked like that they were in a downtrend....personally, i never had any investment bets on those mentioned cyclicals ..(one reason is cause i felt basantjee was ne'er very agressive on them and second was idin like the charts)..but then it is also true that i hold him at such high esteem that if he says he appoves of something,i will not give it a second thought.....whether the call comes correct or not is altogether a different maatter.... ..maybe the problem is that everybody tends to discuss hot stocks ..and once the stock is out of radar there is not much of a discussion on it.....

..This
IP IP Logged
prabhakarkudva

Quote prabhakarkudva Replybullet Posted: 25/Apr/2011 at 5:54pm
No misunderstandings sir

I will tell you something - back in 2007-08 this used to be a forum where there were fierce debates on each and every aspect of a company,where two people rarely agreed and so many new point of views came forth.

I remember having a big discussion with Hit ji about buying quality at an expensive price.No one turned out right or wrong in the end and frankly we rarely cared but we all came out with new perspectives and we all retained our styles.

So it is a really disheartening for me personally to see a lot of people only asking for advice without trying to use their experience to analyze a business or even ask pertinent questions about businesses.Most people just seem to ask what to buy and what price to buy.This is not what TED is meant to be.

TED should go back to those fierce debates where nothing is accepted at face value and everyone needs to rationalize their opinions.

Take your chances and keep them in a box until a quieter time.
IP IP Logged
shivkumar

Quote shivkumar Replybullet Posted: 25/Apr/2011 at 6:12pm
Agree with you intensity of discussion on TED has gone down considerably. There used to be one chap called Vivek Sukhani who used to debate aggressively on various topics but mainly on dividends. Any idea where he has gone?
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 25/Apr/2011 at 12:28pm
I understand the point(s) of view but of late I have started to belive that TED is not a portfolio mangaement tool. It is a place to share discuss and debate on thoughts and ideas.

If anyone would have read through the respective company threads he would have known that my persoanl preference has always been consumer stocks ever since the first few months of this bull market.

The point to note is that inspite of those stocks we beat all the mutual funds and indices hands down.

Inspite of this guys who had interacted with me on PM/Telephone had my point of view but for a  complete event to event based opinion service the public forum is not the place to be in and  for a majority of people who want to just look at a set of stocks and buy them the best way out would be to sign up for a subscription based service/ pms which is not being offered at the moment but  who knows depending on various probabilities and possibilities we might do it though personally I have never given it too much of a serious thought as on date.

Edited by basant - 25/Apr/2011 at 12:29pm
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
ramsey123
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ramsey123 Replybullet Posted: 25/Apr/2011 at 12:40pm
Basantji,

I second the idea of TED PMS services. I can tell for sure that it would initiate a lot of interest and of course your knowledge, ideas, and skills in investing would be of great help to subscribers.

As on date there are (if I'm not mistaken) 14,731 members. Even if you think a conservative 20% of these will subscribe, that's 2946 subscribers you have to start with Smile.

Regards,
Ram.
IP IP Logged
nikhil090

Quote nikhil090 Replybullet Posted: 25/Apr/2011 at 1:02am
TED has provided a learning platform to lot of investors and helped them through the process of investing/concepts etc.

The problem comes when everybody is expected to understand and apply the same concepts/point of views himself as any expert will do. Whether we want to accept that or not, most of the people are ok in some facets of investing but they are not great skilled investors. There are very few investors who can come even close to a Warren Buffet, Rakesh Jhunjunwala or other great names.
And when we are talking about real money then people want to be sure. So a whole lot of interest is there to find what Basantjee is doing despite all the disclaimers and valid reasons of not giving advice to other people with such regular frequency.

Even Philip fisher mentioned that he got 80% of his ideas from other great investors and we are much lesser mortals here. So that curiosity is going to be there and somewhere if a solution can be provided, it would be great.

However the moment the service goes in Subscription/PMS mode, there would be other pitfalls.
IP IP Logged
ramsey123
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ramsey123 Replybullet Posted: 26/Apr/2011 at 12:14pm
Basantji,

Ultimately, you're the knowledge bank and I (or anyone else) would surely respect it if you personally did not want to start a subscribed service which talks about which stocks are good at what levels and the right time to enter/exit, brief discussion on the company, etc.

However, in case you're mulling on whether this really is a good idea or not...I would like to try and convince you here. For starters -

1. Why not put up a poll on TED asking how many TEDdies are willing to pay for the subscribed services that reflect the thoughts of Basantji? I'm sure that all TED members will vote very honestly because you can ensure that the poll is completely anonymous (you can put in a disclaimer attesting to the fact that the results and voters will be kept fully anonymous).

2. If you talk of scalability - this idea is basically a fixed effort from your side which will serve 1 person and will serve 10000 persons just as well. All you would need to do is to think aloud, i.e. type out your thinking and your vested interests to your thought process subscribers. Since this would happen only after you have yourself entered/exited the said stock, you would not be affected by it.

3. Regarding subscriber base, as I mentioned before, even if 20% of TED members subscribe and pay an annual fee (say Rs. 1000, I'm a management consultant by profession so in my humble opinion that would be a very competitive fee) that would still mean around Rs. 29 lakhs a year in revenue at absolutely no additional costs in terms of infrastructure other than what you already have in place here at TED. Yes, it would mean around an hour of your time every 3 weeks or so (we're all long-term investors here so we don't mind not hearing from you everyday Smile).

4. I would love to describe the wave effect that word-of-mouth marketing could have on this service, but I'd rather not. I'm sure TED members could vouch for that better than me.

5. To some, the idea may sound capitalistic. I would like to point out here that while imparting and enabling knowledge that TED does from many years, is something outstanding and should be held in the highest regard, enabling wealth for someone else should also be held in equally high regard (if not higher). TED forums can always continue to be the sea of knowledge to anyone interested in learning. However, the subscribed service can be a wealth enabler for several people. I think this itself is as noble a thing as imparting knowledge.

6. Lastly, if this idea does materialize, do let me know if you're planning on issuing shares. Because I would like to buy into this perfect business model Smile.

I also request other TEDdies to share their views/opinons on this.

Regards,
Ram.

Edited by ramsey123 - 26/Apr/2011 at 12:17pm
IP IP Logged
funkyappu

Quote funkyappu Replybullet Posted: 26/Apr/2011 at 12:24pm
I doubt BM will accede to this proposition. BM is concerned about the small retail investors of this country who often have only Rs. 1,000-2,000 to invest at a time.

Further, subscribed services would require SEBI clearances as it has started tightening its noose over rumour mongers.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 352 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version